Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low fps

It's just in northern grass lands etc I'm averaging at 33 to 47 fps and when I'm doing well I get 50+

Quote Originally Posted by wokiller View Post
    Which model of Intel cpu and I think my motherboard might support a few Intel cpus.
    I also responded in the other thread you posted here, but I will cross post here and expand on what I said a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by tapwater View Post
    Age of Conan is mostly single threaded, so you want a cpu that has the best single thread performance you can find.

This chart ranks CPUs by their single thread performance:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
    It looks like your current CPU uses the 'Socket AM3+' socket.

I looked that up here:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-Sockets/373/2

and if that is correct, then you aren't going to find any CPUs significantly better than the one you have which will fit in your motherboard. The best cpu for AoC you could get and still use that motherboard is the AMD FX-9590 Eight-Core, which is still far worse than Many Intel CPUs.

If you want to get a good performance increase, you will have to get a new Motherboard along with an Intel CPU such as the Intel Core i7-4790K.

Edit:

Now I can't know for sure what your bottleneck is, whether it is the CPU or GPU, but that is something you can see for yourself. You can open the task manager while playing the game (might need a 2nd screen and/or to play in windowed mode briefly) and view the cpu usage for each core while active in game in your low fps areas. If the CPU is your bottleneck, you will see one core of the CPU with heavy usage, near the maximum. If the CPU usage was lower, at like 50% of one core, you would know the CPU wasn't the bottleneck.

My best guess, as I have played with a few different CPUs and GPUs over the years, is that the CPU is your bottleneck, as that is almost always the case for a good balanced gaming machine.

It is very well possible that after upgrading CPUs to something like the Intel Core i7-4790K, your GPU might become a bottleneck.
    Last edited by tapwater; 26th May 2015 at 15:59.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12