Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GUARD, DT or CONQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    Keep in mind that Guardian is the only class in game able to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzgfs6ENuao
    I think a DT has done this too, and maybe even a conq. I don't see why it wouldn't be doable anyway
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    The Guardians own dps is too low yes. However keep in mind Call to Arms and Battle Cry buffs. A Guardian that knows how to play has no problems sharing agro with most tanks except on magic voulnerable mobs. By opening a fight with Shield Slam + Cry of Havoc and Irritate, and activating Stall the Advance, and using Hateful Strikes when Stall wears off, the agro will likely be locked on the Guard for that period of time.

Guardians still have the best burst hate in game, and the best survivability. DT's trump the survivability only when they are allowed to do extreme damage.

Keep in mind that Guardian is the only class in game able to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzgfs6ENuao
    Your picking and choosing encounters, of course specific tanks do better in certain situations. Across the board, it's pretty well known DT and Conqs do it all better most of the time. If that was not the case there would be 100 million Conqs and DT's, everyone would be playing a guard.

The OP was only asking which was the best tank, not what is the best tank 3 years later with max AA, Full T4+ gear, and 3 years of accumulated knowledge on the hardest encounters in game, based on time trial, specifically per boss.

I actually prefer Guardian although I think the idea of a DT is awesome( a magic using soldier), it's poorly executed in this game as opposed to other leech tanks in other games. Guardians have a slight edge in the beginning with slightly higher mitigations, but this quickly curves as the other 2 soldiers get gear.
    Doomsayer 2008

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    I think a DT has done this too, and maybe even a conq. I don't see why it wouldn't be doable anyway
    Not to get into a flaming war, but just curious. Could you fraps a video and upload it with a Conq or Dt doing this please. Just want to see it happen.

I think the underlining point here was the Guard is a very durable class, and very viable.
    Guards: Schou/Schoujr, DT: Mycroch, Conq: Kenfast, Barb: Sonofcronus, Sin's: Crazyassin/Daggerdick, Hox: Scorchnburn, Demo: Touchofdeath, Tos: Enslaveu, BS: Meballs

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...(solo-tanking)

The DT is mentioned there but apparently there's no vid. I didn't say I did it myself anyway, so don't ask me I just said I don't see why it wouldn't be possible with a good group. Now I'm not saying a DT or conq will manage in a 4 man setup, that would probably be pushing it. But eh, even the guard did die
    Last edited by kalston; 28th April 2015 at 13:40.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

OP, just read Boesch's post, it's spot on regarding the classes.

The DT is mentioned there but apparently there's no vid. I didn't say I did it myself anyway, so don't ask me I just said I don't see why it wouldn't be possible with a good group. Now I'm not saying a DT or conq will manage in a 4 man setup, that would probably be pushing it. But eh, even the guard did die
    REDD? Fraps it please.
    Guards: Schou/Schoujr, DT: Mycroch, Conq: Kenfast, Barb: Sonofcronus, Sin's: Crazyassin/Daggerdick, Hox: Scorchnburn, Demo: Touchofdeath, Tos: Enslaveu, BS: Meballs

Would be rly fun to see how ut goes with dt 4man with such long full damagestack phase. Im guessing a good conq can do it, but not dt.
    Moriala - The Ivory Tower

[Youtube Channel]

Quote Originally Posted by magnum92 View Post
    Would be rly fun to see how ut goes with dt 4man with such long full damagestack phase. Im guessing a good conq can do it, but not dt.
    Stop dt hating mori before certain dts starting with k spank you :P

Quote Originally Posted by -Shink- View Post
    Stop dt hating mori before certain dts starting with k spank you :P
    what are you talking about dts is my favorite class!
    Moriala - The Ivory Tower

[Youtube Channel]

Again, thanks all for your replies and clues.

Choice is difficult as i am not looking especially for the best toon, but for the "best" tank. At least the one who will be able to face the most situation (all of them might have a nemesis...).

Even if CONQ seems to bring more fun (my main concern in fact), i think i'll follow most of the advice and go GUARD. I do nto have too much time to "waste" in stuff grinding and GUARD seems to be the easiest to stuff.
    I really focus on the fact to be able to keep the aggro on m with the ability to switch it as a dead soldier is as useless as the brain of a shrimp.

I read the post of Kennyfist about the GUARD and it gave me ome clues on the combo sequences and battle shouts.
    However , it doesn't talk about the combo "block and counter attack" (not the real name sorry) wich is now supposed to deal a lot of aggro.
    While soloing I also noticed that debuffs were wuite useful to survive but thaey aren ot pointed at when raiding. Maybe other classes do it better and those combos start to be useless.

I am looking for a class rewarding in term of game play and support to the team. GUARD might be the best one .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast