Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Viable Guard S&B Tanking builds

Default Viable Guard S&B Tanking builds

Hello,

My Guard is now lvl 77 and will soon be lvl 80. Yet Im missing here in the Guard Forums new (after class revamp) builds... Would someone be so kind and post his? Best ofc with some explanation... I know that there will be different opinions, but Id love to get some inspiration. Thank you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by ConanLogan View Post
    Hello,

My Guard is now lvl 77 and will soon be lvl 80. Yet Im missing here in the Guard Forums new (after class revamp) builds... Would someone be so kind and post his? Best ofc with some explanation... I know that there will be different opinions, but Id love to get some inspiration. Thank you in advance!
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...571-The-Basics!

Check that thread.

All that builds are before the small revamp a few months ago :/

You think there is no change?

Didnt really change how you spec a gaurd
    Fass
    Professional northmen slayer of saga
    {Circle of Eternity}

Latest changes didn't bring anything major so most of the builds are still relevant. The best way is to have 2 builds, one for physical and one for magical dmg encounters, which are basically the same speccs with points swapped in between Iron and Stone Skin in General Tree.

The builds I'd go with are:

Physical: http://goo.gl/hSIB6N
    Magical: http://goo.gl/9ZKoN1

Schou's guide is a good way to get all the basic knowledge you need to give you an idea how the class works.

I don't want to repeat most of it but long story short, I don't prefer strict rotations. What you need to do is to learn how your buffs, abilities and combos work where again Schou's post can help you going bit more into detail.
    The point is to have a general concept and learn to adapt, there are many variables, but the general rule is to know your priorities.

Combo rotation concept:
    1. Shield Slam is your main combo (usually use Cry of Havoc along with it)
    2. Guard Destroyer (buffs your following combos: Overreach (Counterweight AA rank), Titanic Smash, Dulling Blow and Counterstrike)
    3. Overreach V or Counterweight if you use it.
    4. Titanic smash (you can use irritate on finisher)

*Strike and Guard (gives you 30% dmg deflection buff. If timed right and doubled with Cunning Deflection or Stall the Advance it can become an insane defensive tool)

Try not to use Dulling blow, Counterstrike and Bloody Vengeance at all. Counterstrike wont hurt if you're solo tanking and you already have built some aggro if you want to use a quick combo hitting from the top as a filler.

One of the things you should pay attention on are target's shields, prioritize hitting unshielded sides or the side with less shields as much as you can. Combos are your only damage output so try to get as much from them as possible. (Cry of havoc technically does damage too but it is insignificant.)
    If you have aggro and can't move around the target to adapt to its shielding and it has it's right side open you can try to quickly swap to Polearm and use Flashing Arc or Counterweight Polearm AA rank if you have it slotted as they have their finisher hitting from the right, unlike Overreach which hits from the left for example.

About your buffing abilities read Schou's post for more details how they work, I'd just like give you an idea about their cooldowns and timings how you can possibly use them.

For example Powerhouse and Call to Arms share cooldowns so you can start by using them always both at the same time, same goes for Hateful strikes and Volcanic Range you can always use those two simultaneously.

Hope this helps!
    And remember, the best way to learn is to play a lot and see things in action yourself and don't give up!
    Last edited by Redd; 24th April 2015 at 08:20. Reason: typo
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Evil Elitist Veteran Wanker ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

-- Make AoC Great Again --

Quote Originally Posted by Redd View Post
    Try not to use Dulling blow, Counterstrike and Bloody Vengeance at all. Counterstrike wont hurt if you're solo tanking and you already have built some aggro if you want to use a quick combo hitting from the top as a filler.
    After the recent revamp counterstrike has become an absolute beast especially then you are able to solotank some bosses.
    E.g. it's possible to reach 1.100 dps on Swelter (Zodiac) with CS/DeliberateReprisal contributing with 30% to your damage (Counterweight+Reckoning only contributed with 22%) while wearing Fearless Major pieces + Courageous minor pieces.
    Alas that is only possible if you don't lose or have to give up on aggro and get hit consistently by the boss.
    Doing CS while not having aggo is lackluster though.

Apart from that CS/DR combined with Moloch now slightly increases your survivability by giving you a small heal each time it proccs.

Thank you all very much for your input, I think I have enough to work on now! One last question: which AAs are most important besides Pressing/Decisive, Chromatic Warden (which I already have up to 4 points each as lvl 77) and Resolve? Which ones should I go for first? (I will concentrate on S&B PvE Tanking ofc).

Thank you all very much for your input, I think I have enough to work on now! One last question: which AAs are most important besides Pressing/Decisive, Chromatic Warden (which I already have up to 4 points each as lvl 77) and Resolve? Which ones should I go for first? (I will concentrate on S&B PvE Tanking ofc).
    Beside AAs you've mentioned the most important perks are Resolve, Forced Engage, Stall the Advance, Counterweight. The rest are nice to have but not priority to train at the beginning, for example Rear Guard (group buff for priests).

So get Resolve. After you can move down to class perks put 1 point in Counterweight and then start time training Stall the Advance. After that you can go back and for example finish Pressing/Decisive and then focus on Passive protection wards. Among other AAs buffing combos like Improved Guard Destroyer (decreases CD of the combo), then Improved Last Stand (decreases CD of your bubble by 1 minute) and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by Redd View Post
    Counterstrike and Bloody Vengeance at all. Counterstrike wont hurt if you're solo tanking and you already have built some aggro if you want to use a quick combo hitting from the top as a filler.
    Counterstrike was a useless crap, but now that it got a significant buff, it pairs wells with the champion spirit AA for (solo) tanking physical fight. It gives you very rapidly like +500 armor (In addition to the negligible health return) and increase health received. All in all, I think worth making some room from time to time in your rotation.
    -
    Fun fact : Not actually the same guy as the player named "Jaedelyia" in-game. Never though I would one day encounter a guy with the same nickname as this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedelyia View Post
    Counterstrike was a useless crap, but now that it got a significant buff, it pairs wells with the champion spirit AA for (solo) tanking physical fight. It gives you very rapidly like +500 armor (In addition to the negligible health return) and increase health received. All in all, I think worth making some room from time to time in your rotation.
    It is not as powerful as you think, but it seems none of you have read fully my opinion about it. I do agree it's ok to be used if you're solo tanking and it wont harm you but it did not get a significant buff. Regarding champion spirit, it is a good concept but the buff itself is underwhelming unless you think 4% received heal modifier makes a noticeable difference? Plus magical damage doesn't trigger champion spirit and counterstrike at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast