Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: PvP Factions for One Merged Server.

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    The arena is a stupid idea. All it will do is illustrate how well several classes do against others in the right combination. Those classes will simply be the ones that are over played, and actual pvpers will lose interest in it fast. Nothing caters to FoTM players more than a play field like this. I imagine while some of it could be fun, it is nothing to be taken seriously as class balance is heavily the most weighted factor.

It feels more as something to do, or a place to go with guild mates or friends, than something that can be seen a competitive pvp. I would enjoy this content to a point, but it is far inferior to actual premade 6v6 minis. And do not be fooled it is as such either.

You want incentive for PvP, make owning a BK meaningful so people will not only fight to keep theirs, but deny others to have one at all. Perhaps owning a BK could mean that you can access content for your guild others can not. I can imagine no better way to incentivize pvp as to owning a T3 BK is the only way to access T6 content. I bet you would see guild rivalries and actual PvP within minutes of that announcement, and all those pvpers that raiding guilds complain about just being in guild all of a sudden become the people they want to keep the most.
    I am all for finding ways to incentivize PVP for players that enjoy it and owning a Battle Keep an important feature in AOC again. But linking battlekeeping with access to T6 I'm not so sure about and frankly I don't see how or why that should even be an option. Forcing players to do stuff they don't enjoy is never a good solution (you as a very good PVP:er most know this better than most)
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Maark View Post
    I am all for finding ways to incentivize PVP for players that enjoy it and owning a Battle Keep an important feature in AOC again. But linking battlekeeping with access to T6 I'm not so sure about and frankly I don't see how or why that should even be an option. Forcing players to do stuff they don't enjoy is never a good solution (you as a very good PVP:er most know this better than most)
    From my dark days in WoW, I remember they had something of the sort which Suctum appears to have in mind. With Wrath of the Lich King, they introduced a PvP zone (Lake Wintergrasp), in which you had to either attack or defend a keep. The winning side could then access a small raid instance inside the keep.

I personally liked this idea, but bear in mind that it rested on entirely different mechanics than what we have in AoC. The zone was a PUG PvP zone, where players were assigned roles (attacker or defender) according to their faction. They also had some system in place to balance the zone for uneven numbers (essentially, the side that was low got some kind of buff, which scaled according to the difference in numbers). Also, importantly, the raid instance only contained a single boss, who didn't drop endgame loot - but it allowed PvP-focused players to get their hands on some raid gear. Bear in mind that WoW raids generally feature a lot more gear checks than those in AoC.

I'm not against linking BKs to some PvE instance, as they did in WoW. But forcing a large number of players to either join a BK guild, or give up on endgame raiding, is not a smart idea.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Maark View Post
    I am not suggesting they actually link raid content with owning a BK, I am simply illustrating that is the extreme they would have to go to for most of the current population to care about PvP. I know if this was even hinted at by anyone with a Funcom tag there would be the most massive QQ flood that the forums would crash to a place that would never load again.

The point I am making is there is not much they can do to provide content for pvp when there is not a population that cares about it, unless you force people into it, as they did with pvpers.
    Last edited by Suctum; 29th April 2015 at 15:05.
    Doomsayer 2008

Well if you have to force people into it, tells much about the quality of the content itself.
    Your Storm Field critically healed Officer of the Wolves for 7038.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibik View Post
    Well if you have to force people into it, tells much about the quality of the content itself.
    Forcing people into content is sometimes the only way for them to experience it for themselves. I started the game as a strict pver who knew next to nothing about pvp, coming from EQOA. I started out on a pvp server because I wanted to see what MMO pvp was like, and at first I hated it. I stuck it out because of how much I enjoy REH work's and the setting of the game. And as I was forced into pvp content, I started to look for ways to get better and learn how to defend myself. 7 years later I am one the biggest advocates for PvP in this game.

I am sure many other players have similar experiences and may have started this game for one reason or another, but why I started this game is not the reason why I stay. PvP is, and after I found out how incredibly satisfying and rewarding it was in this particular game, I can't accept that other players would not grow to like it if they were exposed to it.

Most people that hate PvP never actually try it, or do it on uncompetitive toons that even a veteran would not be able to do well with. If anything, the one thing they need to do is make T1 PvP armor free, with no pvp level requisite. This will allow people at least some competitive chance, and I think many would actually like the pvp if they worked at it, rather than trying just once or twice and not learning why they lost...
    Doomsayer 2008

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234