Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Funcom working on leveraging Directx 12?

If you tell AoC to use more cores it spreads the loads. So on a dual core you'd be around 50-60% total CPU usage and 25-30% total on a quad core. Performance might be very slightly better by spreading the load because you're not overloading a single core but still this is nothing compared to a game that fully uses all the available cores.

I'm talking about physical CPU cores here btw, hyperthreading (virtual cores) is another matter entirely and even modern games rarely make good use of that.
    Last edited by kalston; 5th April 2015 at 14:31.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    If you tell AoC to use more cores it spreads the loads. So on a dual core you'd be around 50-60% total CPU usage and 25-30% total on a quad core. Performance might be very slightly better by spreading the load because you're not overloading a single core but still this is nothing compared to a game that fully uses all the available cores.

I'm talking about physical CPU cores here btw, hyperthreading (virtual cores) is another matter entirely and even modern games rarely make good use of that.
    Thx for clarifying. Yeah I do remember good old Crysis 1, when I upgraded from a dual core to quad core. that made a real difference in performance. The again, that game was made for multiple cores afaik.
    Barb: Thomaran
    Hox1: Mweru
    Dt: Haikuju
    Hox2: Shugorann
    Tos: Nephertites
    Sin: Leogetz
    Necro: Viggomortis
    and others...

"The sky is green. It is because I say it is. And because I said it on the internet."

Part of the point of DX12 is that it takes care of putting those extra CPU cores to use automatically for many tasks.

wow that would be so amazing!

I wish they would do it at once for all their Dreamworld games

please make it so, it would be huge marketing too!

Bump, want to hear if Devs working on DirectX 12. Seeing other game developers showing off DX12 conversions of their stuff already. Snail games said it took 2 coders 6 weeks to do a full convert. Whoever the dedicated engine coders are for Funcom's Dreamfall engine should have this at the top of their list to deal with, for reasons mentioned in the OP.

FC can't even throw out a simple server restart without ****ing something up and you want an engine-convert to DirectX12?! Not to mention that there are only like 2 people programming on this game right now...

Dreamworld engine is a relic. They are no longer making games with Dreamworld. As such, it would take a complete overhaul of the engine and I don't believe they are financially able to do this tremendous amount of work.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdead View Post
    They are no longer making games with Dreamworld.
    Do you have a source for this claim?

Quote Originally Posted by tapwater View Post
    Do you have a source for this claim?
    Well, according to page 17 of the latest Financial Report, they state they upgraded the Dreamworld to support cross platform.

So in context, yes my sentence was wrong because they claim they are making new games using Dreamworld. However, if you really believe they will pour money into upgrading Dreamworld to support DX12 where as only 1 platform will even use it, 99% chance it won't happen.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Default ?

What game engines (will) use DX12?

What are the latest game engines today?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast