Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: US Server

Quote Originally Posted by Bibik View Post
    Lotro did it, why not AoC...

Oh yes we're talking about Funcom...
    Turbine is owned by WB so they have just a little more financial backing to invest with. In addition, we're in the middle of 3 movies based on the Hobbit so they enjoy more press. I would never expect Funcom to invest money in moving servers for a game this old. They would only move if it benefitted TSW.
    Aldryc - Demo, Alremyr - PoM, Almyra - ToS, Almyr - Necro, Almuryc - Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Almuryc View Post
    Turbine is owned by WB so they have just a little more financial backing to invest with. In addition, we're in the middle of 3 movies based on the Hobbit so they enjoy more press. I would never expect Funcom to invest money in moving servers for a game this old. They would only move if it benefitted TSW.
    Let be realistic, WB is not interested at all with Lotro. Most of the Lotro Incomes were wasted at side projects like Harry Potter console MMo and console version of Lotro (haaa the fail era of cross-platforms Mmos, AoC wasted money also on it) and they let the ship sinking over the years. I don't think WB have nothing to do in the decision of making the servers back in EU.

But i agreed with you on the fact Funcom is only interested on TSW and only decisions that could impact positively TSW would also affect AoC... if they don't spend a single euro on it. Thing is since TSW launch, the opposite was more observed, and aoC paid many many times the TSW failures and still get the shorter side of the stick, being financial, human ressources, marketing ressources, advertizing and such things. Look at TSW atm :
    * Issue 11 almost released
    * Server event (with tons of news items)
    * Funcom points deals.
    * Invite-a-buddy offer.
    * New contents packs offers.
    * Increased noobie game experience patch (in AoC, fixing FoTD quests bugged for years is too much to compare ?) and many others things like new achievements.
    * New veterans items (Vet vendor in AoC is known to be abandonned since forever, even more since Gilding... i mean Player Milking tokens are up)
    * Contests.
    * CM and devs way more active in TSW forums.
    * YT funcom channel having 1 aoc video for 10 TSW ones.

Should be enough to prove what are their priorities since 2010 !
    Your Storm Field critically healed Officer of the Wolves for 7038.

Can we not make this US VS Euro? It has been really sad that ANYONE would have the latency, US folks did not make it happen to you and should not be punished, Funcom should fix it. The sad state of raiding is pretty clear in the US for sure. Two, maybe three guilds are doing T5, so yes its not healthy, but moving the servers to Europe would just put the death hammer into most US players. SO the only solution is a way to help both and use cross server tech so everyone can still play together.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarspice View Post
    SO the only solution is a way to help both and use cross server tech so everyone can still play together.
    Or what's even easier would be just to merge the servers.
    Usedtissue Necro 10//Emptycan ToS 7//Puggles HoX 6//Ammagaden Guard 5//Trollololo Conq 5//Bottlecap DT 2

PM me to sign the Minigame buddy sign-up petition: (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...40#post2135540)

Quote Originally Posted by sugarspice View Post
    Can we not make this US VS Euro? It has been really sad that ANYONE would have the latency, US folks did not make it happen to you and should not be punished, Funcom should fix it. The sad state of raiding is pretty clear in the US for sure. Two, maybe three guilds are doing T5, so yes its not healthy, but moving the servers to Europe would just put the death hammer into most US players. SO the only solution is a way to help both and use cross server tech so everyone can still play together.
    This isn't about who is "entitled" to a lower ping. It's about facts. And the facts are these:
    * Having servers in the US means a loss of business in the EU, and vice versa.
    * This game's player base has always been "eurocentric", hence hosting the game in the US is more detrimental to FC's business than doing it in the EU.
    * But as FC's server farm for TSW is in the US, it is cost efficient to host AoC in the US.

FC took a business decision to prioritize cost savings over a loss of customers in the EU. We don't know the underlying figures, so it's hard to tell whether this was a good decision or a bad one. But at least it was consistent with their overall decision to focus on TSW.

Hosting the game both in the US and the EU with cross server tech is illusory at this point, as it would not just give rise to additional costs for the servers, but also require quite a lot of coding work which they do not have resources for.

But the discussion is moot in any case. The only scenario in which I could imagine FC hosting the game in the EU again, would be in case of synergies with other EU-hosted games. Which I don't see happening. Btw, does anybody know where the Lego servers are located?
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Been throwing money at this game for quite a while and pvping the S**T out of it, but gotta agree, the charm ended with the server move. The game, like very other, has quirks. Quirks by themselves do not utterly destroy the enjoyment of the game, but this ping failure sure just made pvp some stupid, luck based sequences of never ending frustration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mVZSp5A2_o @4.22 :P
    Would be fun with EU servers again, even a smart move since you'll be catering to a f**kload of paying customers, but I'd say you'd need some really ballsy people proposing that.
    Ah, well, at least we're entitled to having hope

Quote Originally Posted by ectomorph View Post
    Hi.

I'm a long time sub of AoC.
    Sure I love the game and all, but there's one thing I don't get.
    Funcom moved the servers to the USA, but still 80-90% plays in the EU ? So our poor EU money isn't worth anything ?
    Here's a pick of a usual night around US "prime time" . Wait times going into the hours for EU players, just for a single minigame.
    http://i.imgur.com/Ro3UCHV.jpg
    Would be nice if you provided some actual evidence for the population % you seemingly pulled out of nowhere. I highly doubt 80-90% is EU.

We are never going to know real population numbers. That is information closely held by Funcom.

Quote Originally Posted by ectomorph View Post
    So.. Someone please remind me.. why do we accept 100+ ping to accomendate for the 5% population ? Why not give the people that actually play the game a godd experience ? Sounds like a good business plan to me.
    I'm pretty sure EU amsterdam centers are as cheap as US NYC datacenters.
    I believe they wanted the servers closer to home, but it really came down to lots of reasons.

I'm sure Funcom can figure out what is best for the servers based on the information they have which we don't. If it was really so much better for the vast majority to have all servers in EU , then I would have thought they would have moved the servers over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyloins View Post
    Isn't it a fact that there's only like a couple of active US (raiding) guilds left? E.g. according to the Crom raid progression post, 20 guilds have downed Yakhmar, afaik only one of those is US and one is mostly Oceanic with some Americans.
    I know a lot of people who live in the US, but raid with EU guilds. I also know of a lot of people in the US, who don't raid T5. You can't assume the entire playerbase is represented by just those killing T5. A lot of it probably comes from the fact the EU players are generally considered better at the game than US players, so a lot of the US players want to play with those they see as the best.

Quote Originally Posted by magnum92 View Post
    ¨

Making the majority of the game playing with over 130ms 2015 is a crime against evolution, and yes it would indeed bring aaaalot of pvpers, and alot of pvers back to the game
    The world is a big place, and there isn't much that can be done about the physics of the situation. There are plenty of people in the lower 48 US states who have equal or worse latency with people in Europe. I myself have always had a latency of around 130ms, and I have the best internet connection available to me.

Something else I'm curious about, how was the latency for Australians/Kiwis to the old EU servers? Was it about the same as they get now to the US servers?
    Last edited by tapwater; 2nd April 2015 at 17:47.

Funcom is a Norwegian company, so servers closer to home would be in Norway, btw

Quote Originally Posted by SamHam View Post
    Funcom is a Norwegian company, so servers closer to home would be in Norway, btw
    The servers were in Amsterdam and I had like 30 ms and above 60 fps and even now I have 90 ms and 60 fps with particles on, The Netherlands still has the best connection in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Touchii View Post
    The servers were in Amsterdam and I had like 30 ms and above 60 fps and even now I have 90 ms and 60 fps with particles on, The Netherlands still has the best connection in Europe
    They were in Amsterdam really long ago, before moving to the US they were actually in Stockholm (again, they had moved the server there purely to save some money because they had a special deal there). It affected some people negatively since it's not as well situated as NL or GER servers but obviously nothing quite as extreme as moving the server to another continent.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast