Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cimmerian Language???

Default Cimmerian Language???

Robert E. Howard used the name "Cimmerians" for the people from whom his most well-known character, Conan the Barbarian, is descended. The people depicted in the Conan books have a quasi-Irish culture (for example, "Conan" is an Old Irish name), and are depicted as being the legendary ancestors of both the Gaels of Ireland and Scotland and the historic Cimmerians of the Black Sea. So would it be a safe bet using Gaelic or Celtic as Cimmerian in RP?

Quote Originally Posted by CimmerianGirl View Post
    I know I started this in RP/OOC but I thought I might have a batter chance for it to be seen here...

Robert E. Howard used the name "Cimmerians" for the people from whom his most well-known character, Conan the Barbarian, is descended. The people depicted in the Conan books have a quasi-Irish culture (for example, "Conan" is an Old Irish name), and are depicted as being the legendary ancestors of both the Gaels of Ireland and Scotland and the historic Cimmerians of the Black Sea. So would it be a safe bet using Gaelic or Celtic as Cimmerian in RP?
    Or the special dialect use on the Isle of Man. I think it would be safe to use these but would anyone be able to understand you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sifie View Post
    Or the special dialect use on the Isle of Man. I think it would be safe to use these but would anyone be able to understand you?

That's the point.
    Set for president! Why vote for the lesser evil?

Yes, except that very few would understand you...
    Kinda like if I spoke roman as Aquilonian, I guess
    Khemi. Picture Hell on the cheap then add more whores

Celtic would be the best choice in my opinion. You will have to figure out which dialect to chose.

Quote Originally Posted by CimmerianGirl View Post

Imo, it would not be a safe bet as few people would understand what you're saying ICly.

My suggestion would be to use an irish/gaelic accent. I notice in RP some who RP as northerners/asgardians make their accents sound like "yer" "ter" for you and to and such.

Lightbulb

Morning,

don't want to be the busybody, but the name "Conan" is not of old irish origin but simply
    an old gaelic name. Wanna proof, check Sir Arthur CONAN Doyle on wikipedia e. g. The
    man was born and baptised in Endinburgh, Scottland which is nowhere near Ireland .

Having said that, according to Howard after another cataclysim and a huge migration
    period (or Völkerwanderung), part of the Cimmerians settled near the Vilayet Sea.

A bigger part of 'em became (quasi) the ancestors of the Scotts since the nowadays
    called british isles got seperated from the main continent during the afore mentioned
    cataclysim, with the rest of Cimmeria being the northern part (Scotland) of the main isle.

According to REH, the ancestors of the Irish are rather a rough mixculture of AEsir, Nemedians
    and Brythunians, e.g. the sons of the Nemed later on.

If interessted, you can find all this and more information in a two parted report written by
    Howard, called "The Real Hyborian Age" (or somesuch, can't remember what its called exactly, sorry).
    This report is mainly concerned with what happend to Hyboria after the age of Conan (the Great)
    and how our known world with all its continents and races came be.

So, in a nutshell, you are pretty much on the safe side if using a gaelic background for RPing a Cimmerian .

Have a nice weekend
    Hawk

P.S.
    I wrote all this right out of my memory, so if anything is not a 100% correct,
    please accept my appologies right ahead .
    "I have known many gods.
    He who denies them is as blind as he who trusts them too deeply."
    R. E. Howard - Queen of the black coast

Aerion Brightflame. One night, in his cups, he drank a jar of wildfire,
    after telling his friends it would transform him into a dragon, but the
    gods were kind and it transformed him into a corpse.
    George R.R. Martin - A Clash of Kings

The Scots being an Irish clan, I don't see much difference.

*Evades the pitchforks.*
    Short cuts make long delays.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzu View Post
    The Scots being an Irish clan, I don't see much difference.

*Evades the pitchforks.*
    Well, "Scots," is not a clan, but you have the gist of it right. Overall, the Scottish clans came from Ireland, though not all stayed.

as if it wasn't weird enough to rp "normally"... do you really have to do it in a language that nobody understand??
    but... maybe i'm just being an ass... please allucinate all you like!!

http://www.thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=11

ps: sorry, i just couldn't resist....
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast