Thread: PvP Avatar Spec

Default PvP Avatar Spec

Hi there,

Since avatar spec got more popular following the HoX buffs, more and more of us play this build.
    What is your feet tree?

Quote Originally Posted by ghord View Post
    Hi there,

Since avatar spec got more popular following the HoX buffs, more and more of us play this build.
    What is your feet tree?
    I still see more ToX than AoX in minis
    I don't make points I make dents.

There are quite a few drawbacks feating avatar:
    The sample build i took for comparison is as follows:
    http://goo.gl/B7usia
    you have some choices though:
    Improved Fiery Weapons or Spreading Flames
    Searing Hatred instead of Butcher and/or Wrath of Xotli
    not taking Demonic Fortitude/Ether Thirst part and instead feating Rage of Xotli/Flame of Xotli/Spreading Flames

What you lose:
    • no fear resistance from Clarity of the Mad
    • no purge, so you are prone to slow and root
    • Chains of Anguish and ToX
    • shorter stun duration
    • less protection from general tree
    • less magic damage from Mystical Attunement and Knowledge of the Underworld
    • shorter Phoenix Cloak duration
    • shorter Range on Commanding Words from Unleahed Power

What you gain:
    • improved Melee Damage
    • improved mana drain if feated for it
    • a small boost to mobility thanks to Demonic Fortitude if feated for it
    • instant RuinDebuff (which is the most appealing ability from Avator for me)
    • Longer Essence Duration/shorter CD
    • and deducting from the 2 Points above, the ability to perk Red Shadows for more damage or EnslavingFire/Quickening Death for Utility,
      since you dont need FtB anymore to reap the benefits of almost being "perma-transformed"
    • jumping BtD-Dot if playing with BtD

Imo there is some nice utility gained from Avatar, but not enough to make up for what you are losing from General and Possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Corais View Post
    There are quite a few drawbacks feating avatar:
    The sample build i took for comparison is as follows:
    http://goo.gl/B7usia
    you have some choices though:
    Improved Fiery Weapons or Spreading Flames
    Searing Hatred instead of Butcher and/or Wrath of Xotli
    not taking Demonic Fortitude/Ether Thirst part and instead feating Rage of Xotli/Flame of Xotli/Spreading Flames

What you lose:
    • no fear resistance from Clarity of the Mad
    • no purge, so you are prone to slow and root
    • Chains of Anguish and ToX
    • shorter stun duration
    • less protection from general tree
    • less magic damage from Mystical Attunement and Knowledge of the Underworld
    • shorter Phoenix Cloak duration
    • shorter Range on Commanding Words from Unleahed Power

What you gain:
    • improved Melee Damage
    • improved mana drain if feated for it
    • a small boost to mobility thanks to Demonic Fortitude if feated for it
    • instant RuinDebuff (which is the most appealing ability from Avator for me)
    • Longer Essence Duration/shorter CD
    • and deducting from the 2 Points above, the ability to perk Red Shadows for more damage or EnslavingFire/Quickening Death for Utility,
      since you dont need FtB anymore to reap the benefits of almost being "perma-transformed"
    • jumping BtD-Dot if playing with BtD

Imo there is some nice utility gained from Avatar, but not enough to make up for what you are losing from General and Possession.
    No Tongue of Xotli,no Chains,No horrible visage,no generalls(armour,purge,more damage)that's too much of a luxury not to have all those...!!!
    "To the Humble He gives His Grace.....From the Proud He Hides His Face"

@Corais I'm not gonna discuss is possession or avatar better, but stating avatar is gimp and providing not so good spec with a lot of wasted points is not good way to prove your point.
    I was possession hox (just doing pvp) for long time and switch to avatar year ago or so and never looked back. Its true that possession have some nice things, but to be honest only thing that i really miss is purge. It would be nice to have it but you get used to. Im just trying to say that avatar can do great in pvp, its not just reserved for possession. Just tell Mechanno when you see him running to you that avatar is gimped

There are variations to builds and lately I've been trying this and its working good: http://goo.gl/m4nsoE The idea is that since you dont just spam hfb to get that 1k combat rating its not always easy to keep it up and even if you do its not really that big difference. Inferno can be quite nice (for dmg and poping stealthers to) but it takes some more management.
    If you feel like you can sacrifice some points from bubble to get instant inferno curse it can also work in any build i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by viroku View Post
    @Corais I'm not gonna discuss is possession or avatar better, but stating avatar is gimp.
    Never said that anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Corais View Post
    Imo there is some nice utility gained from Avatar

I just said that possession skills provide more to survival (fearresistance, protection, longer Cloakduration, larger Rootradius), while Avatar admittedly can give you better damage along with more opportunities to stun.
    Don't get me wrong, i really like what Avatar gives you. More stuns, instant-Ruin, jumping Dot, and i like playing it too.
    Last edited by Corais; 25th February 2015 at 15:31.

Np mate, just misunderstanding than.
    While it is true that you gain fear resistance as possession you also get nice survivability boost as avatar using rsox (100 strength and int pasive and additionaly 325 strength and 450int when transformed) and like you can see in my current build i have full bubble. Instant ruin is nice but its pricey its all down to what you prefer.