Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ability "Without Warning": active or passive?

Default Ability "Without Warning": active or passive?

Hi Barb colleagues! I have a question regarding the ability "Without Warning":
    I spent one point yet and the tooltip says that I can activate it every 15 seconds (or so). But I can't find an ability that allows me to use it.
    Now - is the tooltip wrong and WW is a passive? But I never have seen a proc. Or is it active and I have to spend some more points to receive the ability?
    I already googled, but can't find a hint ... Thx in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Bepher View Post
    Hi Barb colleagues! I have a question regarding the ability "Without Warning":
    I spent one point yet and the tooltip says that I can activate it every 15 seconds (or so). But I can't find an ability that allows me to use it.
    Now - is the tooltip wrong and WW is a passive? But I never have seen a proc. Or is it active and I have to spend some more points to receive the ability?
    I already googled, but can't find a hint ... Thx in advance!
    It is a passive ability that helps your reaver stacks proc a bit more often. However, I really never notice any improvement in how fast the stacks increase 5/5 feated or not. Its not a very beneficial AA to have compared to the others available, but its something. Stacks build up so quickly without it feated that it really doesnt have a purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bepher View Post
    The ability is passive but it doesn't have its own proc, it will simply allow you to stack your stance faster.
    With one point it will give you one stack on a combo finisher but with an internal cooldown of 15 seconds. With 5 points it will be one stack per finisher with a 5 seconds cooldown.

If I remember correctly you also have to hit something for it to proc. Whiffing does nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by nopitypeter View Post
    If I remember correctly you also have to hit something for it to proc. Whiffing does nothing.
    Correct. You need to hit with a finisher for it to proc.

I never understood the Without warning AA, because stacks usually proc after every combo regardless. The AA does nothing really to improve anything imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeball View Post
    I never understood the Without warning AA, because stacks usually proc after every combo regardless. The AA does nothing really to improve anything imo.
    Have you even played a barb? If not you should roll one on Testlive where AAs are free so you can try it out.
    First time how long it takes for you to reach 15 stacks without the perk. (about one stack every 5 seconds sounds about right in my mind without attrocity feated but it's just an estimation)
    Then equip Without Warning 5/5 and time it again. It simply gives one extra stack every 5 seconds.

So if you would normally take 75 seconds to reach 15 stacks, it would now take half that time. One normal stack every 5 seconds and one from without warning. That is more then half a minute extra dps with 15 stacks and as a cherry on top you are able to to pop savage fury much faster. Overall I'd say Without Warning is the best perk together with Upheaval. When having atrocity feated I sometimes go for Bone Shatter.

There are fights where you have about 20 seconds that you need to stop dps every time. In those cases determination is clearly superior but there are not many. On Zodiac or Basilisk for example you can keep your stacks up the whole fight with Determination if the 6man/catapults don't screw up. For everything else most barbs use Without Warning.
    Last edited by Caudilloo; 31st January 2015 at 20:22.

Thank you very much for your answers! I haven't played my Barb for more than four years, now I'm trying to get used to it and it's not that easy. There are a tons of builds on the internet, regrettably most of them are old ones. And if you read the forums, the opinions of which build or AA makes sense and which don't differ from answer to answer. Seems to be "try and error". :-)

for pve, i agree with Caudilloo, without warning and upheaval are generally the best, except in some specific cases...

about the builds, i'm using this for questing and this in groups/raids. of course, i'm using dual wield, switching to 2h just for cc's...
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgmoth-VDN View Post
    for pve, i agree with Caudilloo, without warning and upheaval are generally the best, except in some specific cases...

about the builds, i'm using this for questing and this in groups/raids. of course, i'm using dual wield, switching to 2h just for cc's...
    Shrapnel is worth over 1.8k dps on T5 Yakhmar adds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast