Thread: New Alt: DT vs Barbarian

Default New Alt: DT vs Barbarian

Torn between these two classes. Each have their pros and cons. I will be mainly focused on PvP, but I will be rolling on Crom for the population. I will also be actively Livestreaming whichever I choose.

Dark Templar:
    Gender chosen: Female
    Current level: 40
    Pros: Cooler looking animations, more "depth" due to mana management, flexibility between high dps and high tanking for PvP (or a mix of both if spec'd right), higher skill cap due to 1hs low reach
    Major Cons: Extremely gear dependant, forced into choosing VoM in order to do anything

Barbarian:
    Gender Chosen: Female
    Current level: 45
    Pros: Speed buffs...lots and lots of speed buffs, being able to escape sticky spots due to said speed buffs. Being able to effectively hide while mounted on a Tiger Mount, 5% speed increase baseline (AA's), tanky for a rogue, has a choice for high skill cap (the majority of Reaver's Combos have the same reach as DTs, except for Whirlwind and Jagged Cut), easier to do well with lesser gear
    Major Cons: I extremely hate the way females swing 2 handed weapons, hate the animation with a passion and it is the main thing holding me back from choosing Barbarian

As I said, if not for the way females look swinging a 2h weapon, I would choose barbarian in a heart beat. While it is true I could stick to Reaver, in PvP you need to use KB / stuns in order to do well, so it would be impossible to avoid using a 2h weapon. I suppose I could make a new barbarian as male, but thats a ton of extra work.

Nonetheless I am still torn between these two classes. I have played both of them on the TL server and they are both pretty much equally enjoyable to play. To be honest, I am leaning towards DT due to Barbarians cons (even though the con is a vanity con) but I just love the way Barbarians play...

Any suggestions to help me decide?
    Last edited by Kogoro; 28th January 2015 at 16:37.
    Nohrin - Stygian Herald of Xolti
    Ubogin - Cimmerian Bear Shaman
    Noxamor - Aquilonian Barbarian

If you are interested in Age of Conan Livestreams, check out my Livestream or better yet follow my Livestream at www.twitch.tv/visoth

If you hate something, just pick what makes you less nervous. DT. You can still be VoM-free and wear culture DT gear (with magic damage gems, as was in my case) for PVP when you are 70-79 or fresh 80.

I love the female 2-handed animation for HoXes and Barbarians, so I would choose them! Plus, it is easier to hit targets with 2-handed weapons if your ping is over 200. Also, when your ping is over 200 on a barbarian, expect people to call you a cheat if you feat Marauder, Haste, and Nimble. (You will teleport a lot on their screens owing to the high ping).
    Last edited by LunaticAsylumLA; 27th January 2015 at 07:04.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticAsylumLA View Post
    If you hate something, just pick what makes you less nervous. DT. You can still be VoM-free and wear culture DT gear (with magic damage gems, as was in my case) for PVP when you are 70-79 or fresh 80.

I love the female 2-handed animation for HoXes and Barbarians, so I would choose them! Plus, it is easier to hit targets with 2-handed weapons if your ping is over 200. Also, when your ping is over 200 on a barbarian, expect people to call you a cheat if you feat Marauder, Haste, and Nimble. (You will teleport a lot on their screens owing to the high ping).
    Thanks for the reply. I honestly am not sure how you like the 2h swing animations. It looks like your character can barely swing the weapon. The male swing animations are several times better, as they can hold their 2h in one hand even.

I have tried forcing myself just to accept that the animations are unappealing to me, but I just cannot move forward on my female barb. If I am to choose barb, I will have to make a new male Barbarian (which is a shame, because females look 10x better in gear! plus they are easy on the eyes...)

Currently the only female melee classes I can play are: DT, Assassin and Guardian. Any melee class that requires you to use a 2h I cannot play (which is basically Conqueror, Bear Shaman, HoX, Barbarian)
    Nohrin - Stygian Herald of Xolti
    Ubogin - Cimmerian Bear Shaman
    Noxamor - Aquilonian Barbarian

If you are interested in Age of Conan Livestreams, check out my Livestream or better yet follow my Livestream at www.twitch.tv/visoth

I even prefer female 2-handed animations to male 2-handed animations!
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.