Thread: Conq Tanking

Default Conq Tanking

I'm considering making a Conq and I know most of the time I will be expected to tank, which I do not have issue with. What may cause me to hesitate is the large amount of gear and stats they need to balance and change to adapt to each situation. Is this gear grind a significant burden for conqs? I am worried because I will not have as much time to grind gear like I used to, but still want to be able to participate in the content.

Similarly, I know conqs have a simpler play style, and they've always been used as both MTs and OTs, but how difficult is it to tank now? Before, tanking was a almost an art where the greats truly made a world of difference. If I play a conq I want and will learn to be good at the class, but how arduous is that journey anymore?

My alternative class choice this time will be a sin, which I know is much simpler to gear and quite straight forward in both PvE and PvP terms, but much more complex as a class.

I am not dead-set in any role in MMOs I play. I've been successful as any of the holy trinity of MMOs. The varying factor for me is games that not MMOs, such as FPS games. For example, in Battlefield and Far Cry, I opt for a stealthy/sniper role most of the time as opposed to the up and close styles. I akin these to my choice between a conq and sin and it's become a tough choice.

What do you guys think? Which would you want to see more of?

Quote Originally Posted by SennH View Post
    I'm considering making a Conq and I know most of the time I will be expected to tank, which I do not have issue with. What may cause me to hesitate is the large amount of gear and stats they need to balance and change to adapt to each situation. Is this gear grind a significant burden for conqs? I am worried because I will not have as much time to grind gear like I used to, but still want to be able to participate in the content.

Similarly, I know conqs have a simpler play style, and they've always been used as both MTs and OTs, but how difficult is it to tank now? Before, tanking was a almost an art where the greats truly made a world of difference. If I play a conq I want and will learn to be good at the class, but how arduous is that journey anymore?

My alternative class choice this time will be a sin, which I know is much simpler to gear and quite straight forward in both PvE and PvP terms, but much more complex as a class.

I am not dead-set in any role in MMOs I play. I've been successful as any of the holy trinity of MMOs. The varying factor for me is games that not MMOs, such as FPS games. For example, in Battlefield and Far Cry, I opt for a stealthy/sniper role most of the time as opposed to the up and close styles. I akin these to my choice between a conq and sin and it's become a tough choice.

What do you guys think? Which would you want to see more of?
    Conks can and do tank, but if there is a guard or dt of similar or better gear handy they'll always take the MT slot. As far as gear, tanks are always the most gear dependent, so it doesnt really matter which heavy you pick it will be the same grind. Advantage new conks have is in carnage they can take a pure dps role when undergeared that guards or dts without can't really perform.

I recommend the conk over the sin because I find it the more fun class, but that will be a personal decision for you. I really recommend trying both, learning the mechanics and making your decision once you see what both can do.
    I don't make points I make dents.

Conq is easy, not that much gear dependant (get khitan epics and you're good to go), and all in all, rather cool since there's nothing you can't do, being in group, raid, solo or pvp.

For instance, for solo, there are often those hard quests that cause people to come on forums and complain because it's too hard for ranger, or sin, or whatever.
    This will never ever happen for a conq, you just faceroll everything.
    You have all the tools : super tankish abilities, crazy debuffing power, tons of CCs, high base damage output, personal green/blue/big heals, all in that packed in plate armor.

So yeah, conq is golden.
    {Circle of Eternity}
    Mellaus
    Lachdanann dt | Aldebarrand guard | Ataraxes demo | Tangorogrim tos | Aranruth barb | Demether pom | Errant ranger | Diluvien sin | Hekatomb necro | Haemmer bs | Nyarlathotep tos

Quote Originally Posted by Mellaus View Post
    Conq is easy, not that much gear dependant (get khitan epics and you're good to go), and all in all, rather cool since there's nothing you can't do, being in group, raid, solo or pvp.

For instance, for solo, there are often those hard quests that cause people to come on forums and complain because it's too hard for ranger, or sin, or whatever.
    This will never ever happen for a conq, you just faceroll everything.
    You have all the tools : super tankish abilities, crazy debuffing power, tons of CCs, high base damage output, personal green/blue/big heals, all in that packed in plate armor.

So yeah, conq is golden.
    "Conq is easy, not that much gear dependant (get khitan epics and you're good to go)" is there any class this doesn't apply to? I'd say conq is the most item dependent class in the game, they seem to need higher mitigation than guards or DTs to maintank Flame HM, and have a harder time getting that mitigation. They also have a harder time (i.e. need more gear) with prot tanking. At least, from the perspective of someone who has every soldier class at 80 in various stages of Khitai gear, conq was a lot harder to gear up than my DT, and my guard required far less gear before I could maintank Flame or Den etc.

dt is the most gear dependent. I pretty much solotanked in epic wrist+feet, tier wep and t1/t2 armor.
    Boyscout bearshaman

Well for dpsing they are one the least gear dependent classes (big contrast with guard for example) but for tanking I have no idea, it's probably (scrap that, certainly) more gear dependent than s&s guard and less than tali DT
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellaus View Post
    Conq is easy, not that much gear dependant (get khitan epics and you're good to go).
    Well, you can use 3 combos and one banner/technique all the time and it works like in almost every class but its not his full potential.You need also:
    1.swapping weapons during fight for
    -bloodbath, TS(3 hits instead of 2),breach 4(debuff)
    2.swapping banners and techniques during fight(have you ever changed covenant on DT during fight. i dont think so)
    -will of mettle+fire banner to maximize your aggro at the beginning and change to fortyfing and vivification later-depends on the situation
    3.Furious inspirations stacks.
    To be honest i rarely saw conqs took care of it.Full x10 FI gives 5% more mitigations with will of mettle on.its a lot.To get x10 FI every 45 sec you have to crits often, have angel of fury ability from tree and plant improved heroic banner(makes FI stacks faster)
    4.proper aggro rotation
    I wish you good luck to get aggro from T4 dts/guards using only 3 combos and press irritate randomly.when i want get aggro i do:
    GoDS4>FA8>swapping>BB7>TS(depends on how much time a have)>will of mantle(+10% hate)>BoA(10% hate)>FA9...irritate.

You also need time to gear up especially against magic dmg to be competitive with DT.You need more mitigation than DTs also critigation is more important for conqs than rest of tanks.Conq dont have useful health tap.our turtle mode(will of mettle+fortyfing)
    means we dont have own,personal heal-we are like guards but with worse mitigation.

About DT.Maybe im better player(more experienced) now than i was but i think DT is easier.Proper rotation to take over aggro from tanks isnt necessary.
    Just hits..a lot and make VoM procs then use seal of chaos whatever you want but dont stop hitting.
    I have still blue pants from HoC but can MT everything in khitai.crits-17.2%.I solo tanked flame(two healers).I remember how much time i spent to gear up my conq until i was able to did it.Sometimes im suprised how good that class is.
    I feel dont need equip critigation from AA(well, and its still 3/5)
    Last edited by Hardy; 6th January 2015 at 11:47.