Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1 year in review - 2014

But but... Many Korean MMOs have eyecandy so bugs won't not matter
    Quote Originally Posted by Naberu
    "Is she blood-related? If not, j-j-jam it in! If so, meh...j-j-jam it in anyways!"

Guys, imagine that GD inherited hundreds of thousend of code lines without whole dev team who wrote that, probably with lack of description or documentation... That explains that some things can not be changed easily. So... I think GD should make a strict line to cut off from broken parts of a game such as: - guild system, group finding, siege system... - all of them should be re-written from scratch. I think deleting broken systems can not be an option as they can be combined with other features in the game code. Changing broken things can break whole game. But adding new features and systems could and should be possible. And then we start about the dev team... it's too small and too slow to catch up all the missing things the players want. So the players leave, the company earns less, they cut the dev team and the circle repeats...

Quote Originally Posted by Tomium View Post

What would you like for us to do in the new year? Ask- and I'll tell you whether or not it is doable.
    You asked me almost same question in July, here is what I wrote

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...=1#post2104622

Community managers in Wildstar MMO are also doing a bang up job (http://wildstar-online.com/en/).

We never made any allusions to developers answering questions, nor did we ever say that this was to be used for marketing. We wanted to come and hang out. If you don't like what we are doing in the streams, that is perfectly your right. Keep in mind though that there are other people who are watching who DO want to see what we're doing.
    Just because you have set the bar low I doesn't make it any better. I am aware that others might like it, but its my review based on my opinion.

AoC went from having 0 streams (from Funcom, ever)
    That is just not true. On top of my head:

http://www.ageofconan.com/news/devel...september_26th
    http://www.ageofconan.com/news/devel..._november_28th

Here is probably best stream that we had: http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/b/312419613 (it was about Dead Mans Hand).

Those were actually good so you might want to look into it

Player Spotlight/Posting fan made things- We started to do this, but we had a bit of a problem with our selections. We were aiming for one time every 2 months. I openly asked for suggestions, and got nothing new or anything we could re-post. Such is the way of things.
    You are not looking hard enough.

Few tips on top of my head:

- interivew with the world first T5 guild
    - Kings UI is back ! http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...g-UI-Unchained
    - Hox boards got complete guide to Hox http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...erald-of-Xotli
    Interview dat guy!
    - Conan College tutorial site http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...l-site-started!
    - Isle of Iron Statues "Speed Run" http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...Speed-Run-quot
    how about a competition with in-game prizes to hand out?

Forum Redesign- What we want we don't always get, and that goes for us in CM as well. We didn't want the new stuff, but we understood why it was being done (security), and have tried to make it as bearable as we can. I am not going to rehash this again, other than to say we know how you feel about the forums as they stand.
    I just wrote that I am sad to see old one go and that if new one was needed for technical reasons so be it. You need to let it go.

Snarky Comments- So, here's something for you: I am not in PR, Marketing, Social Media, or Customer Service. Yes, my job has every one of those components, but does not serve one as its master. I chose to reflect the tone given to me by posters. Usually, that is with a wink and a grin. Many people take it as being a player (which I am) and a human (guilty!), and some people get ... well... butthurt. If any of you are butthurt, I apologize. Sezmra and I talked about this and we decided early on that in this community, I could either JUST post patch notes, or I could be more interactive and try to relay the needs of the community to the developers. I chose the latter.
    And here is something for you: I am one of those guys that puts down money that goes into the Funcom company and then into your pocket. I don't like your attitude and I voiced my opinion as I am paying for your services.
    Saying that you "chose to reflect the tone given to me by posters" is pretty much acting childish when you are confronted by a child. You are dealing with a MMO community and IMO it's not even all that savage of a community (at least not as much as back in 2008-2010 or like a World of Warcraft). If you are going to be "reflecting" or "responding" to some of MMO people in same manner as they do you will sink down very low. They difference is that some spoiled brat on forum will be treated as just a troll and ignored and you will catch flak for it.

and using the word "butthurt" in your response, really? Was that really necessary? Were you making a point or was that the usual "responding" because I don't recall using that kind of disrespectful language towards you.

You missed the NUMEROUS times that we in CM had the game devs come in and answer questions. Mostly, because you don't know we're doing it- which is as it should be.
    Which devs? Only devs posting are Pyzerius and CirithGorgor and they always find the thread on their own (almost 100% on TL). Nisquam either also finds the post/threads on his own or he will react to twitter links that people give him. Devs are always saying that they are reading the forums.
    Last edited by Slith; 30th December 2014 at 19:22.
    Retired

[*]Snarky Comments- So, here's something for you: I am not in PR, Marketing, Social Media, or Customer Service. Yes, my job has every one of those components, but does not serve one as its master. I chose to reflect the tone given to me by posters. Usually, that is with a wink and a grin. Many people take it as being a player (which I am) and a human (guilty!), and some people get ... well... butthurt. If any of you are butthurt, I apologize. Sezmra and I talked about this and we decided early on that in this community, I could either JUST post patch notes, or I could be more interactive and try to relay the needs of the community to the developers. I chose the latter.
    I'm sorry but this is not the way employee of company behave at the place where he represent that company. I'm not gonna tell you how to do your job or are you doing it good or not, but you must work on your attitude.
    We are all guilty of being players and humans and i know people can sometimes be difficult (i work with people), but you must be above it. Its your job, not playground behind your house.

Slith has made some good points and I think he is right almost in everything......so I support him (except pvp gear gaps).....On the other side we have a community manager who is not acting as a professional....what can I say? Just "facepalm" Tomi you have to work hard on your communication skills ;-) Peace!

PS: I think he wont reply to this topic again

Quote Originally Posted by 89ideaz89 View Post
    PS: I think he wont reply to this topic again
    I'll take that bet! However one may feel about how Tomium ways to respond, I cannot recall him backing away from a discussion which had a point to it.

Nice review, Slith. But I feel there were some FC-sponsored events that were left out. I believe, FC sponsored some prizes in a Crom-tournament (I may be wrong) and they certainly came through on the RP-side http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...World-RP-event

And I was sad to see that RP in AoC was not touched upon in any sort of way (I am aware that you probably don't have any current knowledge of the RP-state, but a passing comment on -that- aspect of AoC would include the whole picture
    Khemi. Picture Hell on the cheap then add more whores

Thanks for your input.

Since you mentioned me directly, I will gladly respond to the criticisms you have here.

Starting off, let's be fair and have the proper time frame: 6 months. I started in June, so that's half the year gone by. With that timeframe in mind, I will gladly look at this:
    • Epic Tales- Yep. It's late. I was planning on doing this when we all came back from holiday, but did not tell anyone that and I take full responsibility for that. We had a skeleton crew during Christmas, and I chose not to continue the story. Again, full responsibility- my fault. I have crafted 16 stories that allow the community to choose their own path, complete with research and different pathways. Even though it is late, I still think it went quite well, and that people have enjoyed it thus far. (That last death WAS pretty epic.)
    • Streaming- I admitted several times that I am not very good at this game. I don't have to be in order to have fun. Actually, that's one of the appeals of this game is that you can sit down and just... play.. We never made any allusions to developers answering questions, nor did we ever say that this was to be used for marketing. We wanted to come and hang out. Kind of like a giant mixer party with people you don't know. We wanted to get to know you. Apparently, the people watching like killing me..... a lot.... AoC went from having 0 streams (from Funcom, ever) to having 4 streams in 6 months. I'll stand by that. If you don't like what we are doing in the streams, that is perfectly your right. Keep in mind though that there are other people who are watching who DO want to see what we're doing.
    • Player Spotlight/Posting fan made things- We started to do this, but we had a bit of a problem with our selections. We were aiming for one time every 2 months. I openly asked for suggestions, and got nothing new or anything we could re-post. Such is the way of things.
    • Forum Redesign- What we want we don't always get, and that goes for us in CM as well. We didn't want the new stuff, but we understood why it was being done (security), and have tried to make it as bearable as we can. I am not going to rehash this again, other than to say we know how you feel about the forums as they stand.
    • Snarky Comments- So, here's something for you: I am not in PR, Marketing, Social Media, or Customer Service. Yes, my job has every one of those components, but does not serve one as its master. I chose to reflect the tone given to me by posters. Usually, that is with a wink and a grin. Many people take it as being a player (which I am) and a human (guilty!), and some people get ... well... butthurt. If any of you are butthurt, I apologize. Sezmra and I talked about this and we decided early on that in this community, I could either JUST post patch notes, or I could be more interactive and try to relay the needs of the community to the developers. I chose the latter.

Speaking of-
    You missed the new suggestions thread which has cataloged every suggestion in it and sent it to the devs. Not an easy task, as we literally copy and paste each into an excel doc.
    You missed the NUMEROUS times that we in CM had the game devs come in and answer questions. Mostly, because you don't know we're doing it- which is as it should be.
    You missed the failed attempt at answering the top 5 questions the community had early on in my tenure here.

Honestly, that's the point here. You choose to see what you want to see. I know I am doing my job well, and that I am doing the work of many people in any given day. What you perceive as patch notes is actually a multi faceted process that takes hours to complete. What you perceive as my not doing anything is my working behind the scenes to get answers to questions- sometimes to the detriment of my co-workers. (Marketing got a message from me daily for about a month.)

I may never make you happy, but that's not my job here. My job is to convey the wants of the players to the devs in a way that both can understand. I am the middleman.

What would you like for us to do in the new year? Ask- and I'll tell you whether or not it is doable.
    I rly think u guys are doing a good job, i see u guys answer in many posts, it takes a lot of time just to keep track of posts on forum. So just keep the good work up and i am looking forward to the time where u guys are able and have some extra time to implement some extra pvp content for us old players☺ i have bielief that the time will come and i fully respect that things takes time!
    Cheers guys and have a happy new year☺ looking forward to play more Aoc next year with my friends on Fury server😊
    Crom:
    Kraamz dt pvp10
    Kramzor hox pvp10
    Quickdash guard pvp7
    Kramzz bs pvp5

Fury:
    Pressostate conq pvp5
    ++++

AFK into the unknown =/

Thanks for your input.

Since you mentioned me directly, I will gladly respond to the criticisms you have here.

Starting off, let's be fair and have the proper time frame: 6 months. I started in June, so that's half the year gone by. With that timeframe in mind, I will gladly look at this:
    • Epic Tales- Yep. It's late. I was planning on doing this when we all came back from holiday, but did not tell anyone that and I take full responsibility for that. We had a skeleton crew during Christmas, and I chose not to continue the story. Again, full responsibility- my fault. I have crafted 16 stories that allow the community to choose their own path, complete with research and different pathways. Even though it is late, I still think it went quite well, and that people have enjoyed it thus far. (That last death WAS pretty epic.)
    • Streaming- I admitted several times that I am not very good at this game. I don't have to be in order to have fun. Actually, that's one of the appeals of this game is that you can sit down and just... play.. We never made any allusions to developers answering questions, nor did we ever say that this was to be used for marketing. We wanted to come and hang out. Kind of like a giant mixer party with people you don't know. We wanted to get to know you. Apparently, the people watching like killing me..... a lot.... AoC went from having 0 streams (from Funcom, ever) to having 4 streams in 6 months. I'll stand by that. If you don't like what we are doing in the streams, that is perfectly your right. Keep in mind though that there are other people who are watching who DO want to see what we're doing.
    • Player Spotlight/Posting fan made things- We started to do this, but we had a bit of a problem with our selections. We were aiming for one time every 2 months. I openly asked for suggestions, and got nothing new or anything we could re-post. Such is the way of things.
    • Forum Redesign- What we want we don't always get, and that goes for us in CM as well. We didn't want the new stuff, but we understood why it was being done (security), and have tried to make it as bearable as we can. I am not going to rehash this again, other than to say we know how you feel about the forums as they stand.
    • Snarky Comments- So, here's something for you: I am not in PR, Marketing, Social Media, or Customer Service. Yes, my job has every one of those components, but does not serve one as its master. I chose to reflect the tone given to me by posters. Usually, that is with a wink and a grin. Many people take it as being a player (which I am) and a human (guilty!), and some people get ... well... butthurt. If any of you are butthurt, I apologize. Sezmra and I talked about this and we decided early on that in this community, I could either JUST post patch notes, or I could be more interactive and try to relay the needs of the community to the developers. I chose the latter.

Speaking of-
    You missed the new suggestions thread which has cataloged every suggestion in it and sent it to the devs. Not an easy task, as we literally copy and paste each into an excel doc.
    You missed the failed attempt at answering the top 5 questions the community had early on in my tenure here.

Honestly, that's the point here. You choose to see what you want to see. I know I am doing my job well, and that I am doing the work of many people in any given day. What you perceive as patch notes is actually a multi faceted process that takes hours to complete. What you perceive as my not doing anything is my working behind the scenes to get answers to questions- sometimes to the detriment of my co-workers. (Marketing got a message from me daily for about a month.)

I may never make you happy, but that's not my job here. My job is to convey the wants of the players to the devs in a way that both can understand. I am the middleman.

About Epic Tales: Close but no sigar. There was no Herald of Xotli option.

About streaming: It is a good start, you could try to do it more frequently.
    1 Request though: Play an other class than HoX. Watching you play it was a toe-curling experience for me. (see sig)

About forum re-design: Bitschslap those doing this and get them to make it 1 size smiley's atleast. Preferably the big ones not the small ones

About Snarky Comments: Might I suggest you react more like Kalanthes (or Yoda) and less like Toth-Amon or even a young Conan (or Darth Vader).
    (Just be a bigger man than the trolls and lead by example. )
    Xiuhcoatl, Xipil, Udiya, Zhoerong lvl 80 HoXes .... multi-speccing?
    Gorgophone lvl 80 Barb, Kheiron lvl 80 PoM (Heal?), Uruloki lvl 80 Demo (Nub), Berenike lvl 80 Conq (retired.) All raised on Hyrkania RP-PVE (R.I.P.) server.

[undisclosed] lvl 80 HoX (!), Marbhaisgort lvl 80 Necro (fresh), Chahwuk (ToS)/Merav(Necro) lvl5x (for when I get to do Purist-achievements) Cromites.

Membership valid until 2018-03-16 20:02:55 Got tricked again 2015-12-14

Funcom

In regards to the content review, I think its a pretty fair summary and thanks for taking the time to post and compile it.
    I'm already fairly confident that the review for 2015 will be a further improvement, there are a number of large systems almost ready to go and we do have big hopes for what we are going to be able to deliver in terms of content.

A couple of things I'd just like to add to the review are to pass on the content teams thanks to everyone who helps support this game with external sites, tools, videos and blogs, they are always great to see and really do help support the game as a whole. Also thanks to everyone who dropped onto the test server particularly to help with the PvP events and the T5 raids. I'm not going to name drop (because inevitably I'll miss someone) but you know who you all are and thanks.

Happy 2015 everyone, see you on the other side.

Funcom

Quote Originally Posted by CirithGorgor View Post
    In regards to the content review, I think its a pretty fair summary and thanks for taking the time to post and compile it.
    I'm already fairly confident that the review for 2015 will be a further improvement, there are a number of large systems almost ready to go and we do have big hopes for what we are going to be able to deliver in terms of content.

A couple of things I'd just like to add to the review are to pass on the content teams thanks to everyone who helps support this game with external sites, tools, videos and blogs, they are always great to see and really do help support the game as a whole. Also thanks to everyone who dropped onto the test server particularly to help with the PvP events and the T5 raids. I'm not going to name drop (because inevitably I'll miss someone) but you know who you all are and thanks.

Happy 2015 everyone, see you on the other side.
    Hear hear! Wishing all the best in 2015 for you guys!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast