Thread: PvP Progress through PvE

Default PvP Progress through PvE

Should be really common sense to progress in PvP through PvP rather than PvE, but it seems not only Funcom makes this mistake:
    (Warning: review of a non-funcom product ahead)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyQz...hsczNuyyh6Cf6w

Some things either are a new trend in MMO gaming or there is another reason why this sounds so familiar...
    I hope this trend does not bode ill for the upcoming crafting revamp

For my part i'm not fond of the strict distinction between PvE and PvP. I'm not a huge fan of instanciated content and loved the world when a ton of content was in open-world. Be it questing, RP events organised by the community, or fighting for Crom knows what reason in Kheshatta. I like questing and ending up having to fight some players who happened to steal my mobs or the usual gankers as much as i enjoyed hunting people and turning out to have an RP chat or help them quest because they were friendly and not really a challenge PvP wise.

When the game launched a lot of people where in ressource zones harvesting mats. It's technicly PvE, but since it's open zones it use to turn frequently enough into war zones. So in my mind by exposing yourself to PvP you actually contribute to PvP and thus progression should be link. If to craft you need to take risks in PvP enabled zones, it makes no sense to have crafting be useless in PvP. Same with PvE in open-world, when your questing your doing PvE but your vulnerable to PvP and therefore if your rewards are purely PvE it's crap. And vice versa, if you're killing gankers in open-world you'd still want the reward to help you with the quests you were trying to finish.
    A strict seperation of PvE and PvP progressions only makes sense in a fully instanciated environement. And still... if i play mostly PvP, i'd still want to go for some occasionnal raids and 6mans so if the geared aquired in PvP is useless in PvE i'm screwed. Same goes for the opposit, PvErs still go for the occasionnal PvP session.

As long as extensive PvE isn't a compulsory (or way more efficient) path to PvP progression i really don't mind having PvErs "progressing" in PvP through PvE
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

You can't divide PvP and PvE without hurting gameplay. As example, you can't level character from 1 to 80 level with pvp kills and without completing any quest. Most of PvP actions have PvE scripts behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by lmagowz View Post
    You can't divide PvP and PvE without hurting gameplay. As example, you can't level character from 1 to 80 level with pvp kills and without completing any quest. Most of PvP actions have PvE scripts behind them.
    Oh, i was not meaning you have to divide it strictly. You can actually mix these things, but if you do, you should not cap progression artificially like Blizzard did here with the new "tokens" and how funcom did it in the past (it is better now, but still not good, i will come to this) by making powerprogression dependand on raiding a lot.
    Progression curves are the key. I do not mind that you can progress in pvp by pve or vice versa, but the curve should be always favoring the intended content.