Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Request for gold spammer chat filter

Default Request for gold spammer chat filter

I recently brought this up in another game and thought it would be worth a mention here too, since although I have't been playing tons lately most times I log in gloabl chat is hard to read becasue of spam. Since this game has limited LFG tools and relies on chat that is especially bad. Figured the following was wort a note:

>>>

MMOs often have chat filters set up for profanity but never bother with gold sellers. Instead of just "bleeping" allegedly bad words, you could have a different class of bad that is a set of gold-spammer type URLs (they almost always post their URL):
    1) x out the whole line if it registers as gold spam/etc
    2) x out the line display with client logic for normal people and _leave it on_ for gold spammers so if the current spammer/hacked account was ever even looking very hard at their own screen they would not know (would need to see someone else's)

The same logic could be used to auto-flag and the possible spam accounts for review (or lock out of public chat if hitting a high limit). One line mentioning a keyword would be just be filtered, but 100 of them is almost a sure abuse and can then be locked/banned/whatever.

If spammers got savvy they might start mangling their URLs, but that can, at least to an extent, be combated with some different regular expression logic.

This type of regex coding is not that hard to do (honestly I am not a crack programmer and I would still find it fairly simple...), but it has a big benefit for global chat.

perhaps FC are the goldspamers
    meh...

Hire FoAs for each server. Each FoA should get some game time for free for banned gold sellers and PVP exploits.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Well, that might be amusing but I assume they might not want to entrust banhammers that easily, it result in various issues. Obviously would not help with pvp exploits since that's a lot harder to code than a list of regex patterns to cull from chat...

I came up with an idea too a few months back when someone opened a topic like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Caudilloo View Post
    When the goldspam got real bad a while ago I was thinking of the same problem and in order to get rid of gold sellers I thought something like this might work:

Player admins:
    - Can only mute players (ban their acces to chatchannels), not actually ban their account from game.
    - 2 types of mutes: 7 days (for calling someone a F*gg*t N*kk*r Fvcker or something and obvious trolls) and a permamute (for goldsellers/rl deaththreads etc)
    - Only reason to mute players is rasism, threats and illegal activities like goldselling or spreading exploits
    To prevent abuse of power:
    - Write some clear guidelines of what exactly is a valid reason to mute.
    - The player that gets muted get's a message like 'You have been muted by [XYZ], if you feel you have been wrongfully muted please take a screenshot from your chat (F11) and contact support@funcom.com' (or something like that).
    - When a player mutes somebody he has to take a screenshot of the offense first. (so he can show what he muted that person for in case someone sends a e-mail to Funcom)
    - If a player admin wrongfully mutes someone three times he is out and his account gets banned for 7 days.

Personally I would be up for doing this. I ignore goldspammers anyways so no reason for me to not press F11 right before or after doing it.

Give those rights to 50 players (distributed over timezones) and chat channels should be a lot cleaner.

A easier, cheaper but not as effective solution could also be to restrict access to global channel to level 20+
    I think this could work and the need to take a screenshot after a mute with the option for a muted person to petition and get you banned in turn if you abuse it should keep the system in check.

Personally if I were funcom I would create some sort of banhammer bot that filters strings such as the websits they use, that way it could be implimented across all servers, run all the time and only take one FOA to stay on top of the website they're advertising.

+1 for goldspam auto-report button and auto-report/optional report-on-ignore.

+1 for restrict access to global channel to level 20+

Quote Originally Posted by Belch View Post
    +1 for restrict access to global channel to level 20+
    -1 to that. New players seek epic groups sometimes for their areas. Example: if you new to Archeage, you will never kill elite bosses before level 15 or 20 (I cannot remember), because you do not have any chat or player search options.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticAsylumLA View Post
    -1 to that. New players seek epic groups sometimes for their areas. Example: if you new to Archeage, you will never kill elite bosses before level 15 or 20 (I cannot remember), because you do not have any chat or player search options.
    actually, you don't really need it... there ain't none until lvl 30
    meh...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast