Thread: Noob pvp guard needs advice

Default Noob pvp guard needs advice

Hey, I need some advice on pvp with guardian.

I am pvp 1 with full T1 gear (item shop). AA's I am currently using are: Pressing/Decisive, Avoid entanglements/Vindication and Counterweight/Master at arms (only one point each in the last two). Protections wards are maxed, and I also have Stall the advance available.

This is the spec I use: http://goo.gl/RBDDih

I am not new to pvp, but I am completly new to melee pvp. So I'm maybe not useless, but not far from it

If you pros had me in your team, would you prefer I go full turtle spec and try to contribute as flag carrier, or should I go more offensive like the build I have now and try to be FC and get a kill or two? What perks would I use? Reason I ask is that I need some time to learn how to play melee pvp before I can contribute much, and I'd like to not be too much of a burden while I do.

Also, I know there isnt a specific rotation in pvp, but could you help me out with what combos are prioritized? I've ever only played the guard in pve, so have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Freke View Post

Also, I know there isnt a specific rotation in pvp, but could you help me out with what combos are prioritized? I've ever only played the guard in pve, so have no clue.
    Hey , i guess your question is "How i burst enough to ensure a kill" . Well , as far as i recall what u need to do is : pop buffs (volcanic+ the other buff that applies on SS) and u start with disable+SS(reckoning on that SS) , then you follow with BloodyVengence (i think thats the name of the automatic combo) . These should be enough to ensure a kill for you given ur frenzied . Skewer is also a good add-in , then CW . (your CW is good combo to land last cause its long cast , so u ensure all your high burst when ur face to face , and finalise with CW when the enemy is about to run away )

About the rest questions , im in a real hurry atm and my guardian knowledge is not the best around . Shainah , pls step in this thread and enlighten our friend!

Ps: you need special binds for guard , so he pops from a full offensive setup to a full defensive one in 1 click and no-more
    Fury:
    Etheecx -Necrow R5
    Ebedokles -Priest of Agrigento [threw himself into the volcano!]
    Teargarden -Sin R8
    Teagarden -Ranger R7
    Tempgarden - DeaTea R8
    Teadealer -ToS R3

Crom:
    Ethicx -Demonologist R10
    Bedtime -Guardian R5
    SponsoredHox R3 delight

*Chaotic gooD*

Quote Originally Posted by Freke View Post
    Hey, I need some advice on pvp with guardian.

I am pvp 1 with full T1 gear (item shop). AA's I am currently using are: Pressing/Decisive, Avoid entanglements/Vindication and Counterweight/Master at arms (only one point each in the last two). Protections wards are maxed, and I also have Stall the advance available.

This is the spec I use: http://goo.gl/RBDDih

I am not new to pvp, but I am completly new to melee pvp. So I'm maybe not useless, but not far from it

If you pros had me in your team, would you prefer I go full turtle spec and try to contribute as flag carrier, or should I go more offensive like the build I have now and try to be FC and get a kill or two? What perks would I use? Reason I ask is that I need some time to learn how to play melee pvp before I can contribute much, and I'd like to not be too much of a burden while I do.

Go offensive, always. Guard is good at that even with a flag on its back. As for the spec I'd go for this http://goo.gl/l6in81 not a big difference, but stamina and combat rating have a very limited impact nowadays. Guarded frenzy on the other hand is very very nice to have.

As for combos it's basically SS+reckoning that will get you kills. A critting CW will get you a kill too, but can't rely on that too much as it's very slow. If possible try to use guard destroyer (rank 1 or 2, for the speed) before the SS+reckoning combo (it will boost reckoning, not SS which is electrical damage). Disable doesn't really hit that hard but it acts like a filler when SS is on CD and you don't want to land a CW. I personally add Flashing Arc 3 to my pvp rotation (short CD & quick combo). So basically CW and FA3 are the combos I use without thinking because they are free and have almost no CD.

Skewer and stagger both do great damage but ofc they are CCs, don't waste them

Make sure you have really accessible and intuitive binds for switching between stance/tactics/manoeuvres. Don't hesitate to use your anti CC preventively to burst someone and then pop back defensive stance before a CC lands on you.
    Also when you land a critting CW and your target runs away, you can pop back defensive stance as it will still do its full damage and, assuming the target is really far, you won't land reckoning on it anyway (reckoning is what is affected the most by frenzy although they nerfed it A LOT recently).
    Last edited by kalston; 16th November 2014 at 11:31.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Thanks both for advice. I'll probably ask some more questions as I progress

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    ... As for the spec I'd go for this http://goo.gl/l6in81 .....
    I'm just wondering about the 2 points in Intimidating Shout. Isn't those points best spent elsewhere? Thought the dmg on IS was crap. Anyway really good tips!
    Harcesis - Guard
    Lomaxx - BS
    Scoobie - TOS
    Gammern - Necro

There's not really any better place to put them. It's a little extra damage that adds to the burst and helps finishing people. But yea, you can put them somewhere else if you like^^
    Last edited by kalston; 16th November 2014 at 17:42.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.