Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: No to solo PVP arena! - voice your opinions

I am not by any means a PvPer, but I enjoy dabbling in it now and then, for fun, for a change of PvE pace, and to improve how I play in general. Some of my best/favorite fights have been in the khemi sparring arena doing 1v1 or 2v2. Of course I'd love that to count on my k/d and get xp out of it. Ultimately what I'd like to see are 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 arenas, as well as 1v1.

Signed!

I dont want full premades, but 1v1 / 2v2 / 3v3 would be nice. If FC do only 1v1 is a waste of time / resources because after a month none will do this

I found the letter a bit nondescriptive. 1 vs 1 with bets on outcome? Sounds like the old Pit in Aquilonia server. That was fun, but it came with a lot of addons. To avoid it becoming another "horserace track", some questions should be answered:

- will there be player customizeable rules?
    - what does it add, that is not already in the game?
    - how farm and exploitable will it be?
    - will there be different rewards in the queststructure (if there is one) for defeating a powerfull oponent or a weak opponent?
    - will it be instanced or available to the public?
    - will it be limited how often a char can duel in the arena per day?

Some problematic points are, that farming friends is usually frowned upon and counted by some as exploiting. But as with the pvp quests and the festival, you can design it in a way, that encourages it OR design it in a way discouraging this. How can you count it as exploit or fightclubbing, when exactly this becomes intended game content? If you limit too much and make it league like, for how big a percentage of the population will it be attracting after the first hype is over? Could become like the "battlekeep" content that is dominated by only a few. Or the festival. These already strong would have another way to control the progression and boost each other, while the majority of players could become locked out. If you are not adressing this in design, such things hurt overall motivation and population more than it would seem at first glance. So they should be careful what rewards are given here and under which conditions.

For me, without customizeable or changing rulesets and respecting the power difference, it will be uninteresting content. 1 vs 1 for bragging i can have in khemi, kheshatta or guild cities. Interruptable and consensual i can have at duel spots.
    Rulesets could be:
    - damped magic
    - gear restrictions
    - level restrictions
    - AA restrictions
    - movement restrictions

Also different arenas could have different extras. Like traps, useable buff things, useable debuff things, dangerous environment, distraction by others, timed events, pickupable weapons etc.. But make them fixed and not customizeable (or chooseable) you go a step towards horsetrack racing.

If you have those, 1 vs 1 in such arenas could be interesting...just for trying things out and for the variety of combinations. If you do nothing, you will have flavor of month classes ruling and no incentive to adapt to the fight. 1 hox vs barb will be like any other hox vs barb fight..

Also 1 vs 1 only restricts the options a lot and seems completely unnecessary to me. As test of the map and environment it might make sense (as on crom maybe), but as a game addition for fury it seems largely redundant. Even the existing arenas sound more fun so far. There you can let the players choose 1 vs 1, 2 vs 3, 4 vs 2 etc., different combinations and self-imposed restrictions. All that was missing was some measurement of the challenge and rewards accordingly. Having such, would not only help arenas but the pvp game overall.

Bottom line, i can not vote against it, but i don't follow the argumentation of this particular design "choice" and i fear certain people will exploit it a lot, especially if it is instanced. But with the limited info we have so far, it could also be some "nice to have", not a big hype deal, but not a big hurt either. And if they need this as a step to add more population arenas later (if only for technical reasons or staff training), why not?
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 10th November 2014 at 08:28.

Totally signed, 2v2, 3v3 or 4v4 pvp is absolutely what I dream of for this game. Finding 12 good and willing players is hard, cut that number to 8,6,4... it becomes a whole lot easier. Also, no flags or anything like that, just kills, perfect.

Sure I like 1o1 and I can handle it even on guard but the game balance in 1o1 is poor (which is fine, it shouldn't be the goal of this game IMO). For example a guard is never ever gonna hurt a BS or pom (unless it's a naked keyboard turning cripple) and necro is also going to have a very hard against most classes 1o1 (although of course a Smukk/Stealth/Khramps etc. would still manage just fine).
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Its a step in the right direction, like many other steps that have been done during the past year. Have to acknowledge that during 2014 FC worked on PvP way more than they did in all the previous years combined.

However, the main problem for me in PvP in AoC remains - its mainly SOLO.

In order to group up with friends and PvP i should literally spend at least 1 hour in trying to arrange a premade in the tournament que (which is strictly 6v6 and if someone d/c cant even get back in), or do a siege (....) or wait for that week every month that PvP festival is taking place.

I wont say no to solo arena, suppose there is lots of people interested in that, but only with the hope that FC will eventually make it a group arena.

I would have been way happier if they would implement a buddy system for pugs (let us sign in duos for x sake) or if they would tweak the tournament que in a way that is not anymore a strictly 6v6 signup but people can sign with smaller groups too.
    ॐ ॐ ॐ

I feel bad about feeling good about that~

I don't see it succeed myself.

PvP is built toward group PvP, not solo.
    Yet, Funcom keeps pushing solo PvP with pugs and all, when classes are nowhere near balanced on 1vs1, which is normal for any MMO i believe.

Plus, i wonder how that arena will be implemented in the world itself. Will there be a pit or a cage in Khemi where 2 players can enter and pound each other into the ground for any passer-by to wtach ?

People going there will be the ones playing OP classes with bestest gear and all possible pots fancy to show off their "skill".
    And what about cheaters ? That comber scum is already present in minigames, will they be able to take part in that arena ?

All in all, that duel arena will be used by a handful of players at best and might very well be deserted after a month. I don't see the point.
    {Circle of Eternity}
    Mellaus
    Lachdanann dt | Aldebarrand guard | Ataraxes demo | Tangorogrim tos | Aranruth barb | Demether pom | Errant ranger | Diluvien sin | Hekatomb necro | Haemmer bs | Nyarlathotep tos

So I think there is no reason to not add 3v3 along with 1v1 at release, seems it would be an easy add too and between thoughs two options and minigames there should be enough constant pvp actions to occupy a night. With that i would like to see vanity to be usable inside the arena along with NO Red and Blue capes, sorry that crap is just annoying. Also there should be a Teleporter NPC in each Hub city for easy access, there is no reason to have this arena out in the middle of no where with a 10 minute foot travel. I think The matches should be exact, if i want to duel someone i expect to duel them not some other random player signing the same time as me, sure there is a time and place for that but having it instanced all together seems odd when settling grudge disputes. Still there should be a way to sign up for minigames with PUG how it is now but also be able to sign up in the same minigames with a friend or six and still be in the same bracket as PUG minis (sorry if im not using PUG mini correctly) It would be nice to be able to change ruleset for matches i.e. run speed, no magic, no ranged, etc. but lets be honest funcom isn't going to take the afternoon to add that, with usable traps and hazzards would be nice but again lets be honest they ain't going to add good ideas just because their good ideas...

P.S. would be nice to be able to stake characters, that would give some real incentive haa
    Last edited by sgtMassDozer; 11th November 2014 at 18:31.

looking forward having a chance to wreck people 1on1 compered having to play with 5 random people... Im looking forward to this... It's gona be fiiine

i think its great idea - you would never know what you can possibly find yourself in - so that would additionally to a some nice add on for fun/spend some time/and rewards and LEARNING - cos nothing makes you better pvper then 1 on 1 - but i agree that this would need to be enalrged to at least 2 vs 2 - we already got minis 12/24 and sieges and open world - so arean sounds to me like very nice idea but 2 vs 2 would be must imo for it as well not just 1 on 1

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast