Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pc shuts down while playing

Default pc shuts down while playing

My pc shuts down while playing AoC.
    I've been playing for several weeks and the first time my pc shutted down was 2 days ago.
    Any ideas?

Predator G3600
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHZ
    64 bit
    Radeon HD 7950
    Corsair Enthusiast TX750M

How does your PC shut down? Like a normal shut down from windows or does is basically just "turn off" (like pulling out the power plug)?

If its the "power-away-shutdown" (like pulling out the power plug) you should firstly check your power supply, if its an old one it can get something like instable and your PC will shut down due to high load and power consumption of CPU and graphic card (especially while WB is going on with many players on one spot doing tons of animations).

But it could also be a problem with heat in your PC case, check the temperatures during playing a game and see if they are normal.
    Last edited by xCodename; 6th November 2014 at 21:12.

It's a power-away-shutdown.
    My power supply and graphic card are 1,5 years old.
    It happened the first time when I joined a T4 raid and today it happened several times when I joined a T3 raid.
    Are raids harder on the graphic card?
    I only entered the raid dungeon, I wasn't fighting when the pc shutted down.

I'll check the temp. when playing, I have that CPUID HWMonitor

Ok, so your PC shuts down if you just enter a dungeon... its very difficult to say but I think its a problem with your power supply. The instance must be loaded and mostly all 24 players are on one spot that means it must load something like a "huge chunk" of data (Healthpoints, Manapoints, Damage, Animations, Textures...). The CPU / graphics card can get a fairly high power consumption during this loading and a broken power supply will in most cases do a "emergency shut down" (So the PC won't have any power anymore and will basically shut down) to not damage the components (In case it could fuse or something like that).

It could be that kind of problem but lets see how the temperatures of your CPU and graphics card are.

If your temperatures are normal, try to borrow a new power supply from a good friend or maybe lend some in a PC Shop (your supply isn't that old but it can always happen that it gets somehow broken. Also try to dust it off, thats very important!).
    Last edited by xCodename; 6th November 2014 at 22:07.

I just joined a 6 dungeon and the temp. was 73°C.
    There was a bit dust in my pc but not much.
    Is there a way to check if my power supply is still 100% ?

Quote Originally Posted by itoewa View Post
    I just joined a 6 dungeon and the temp. was 73°C.
    There was a bit dust in my pc but not much.
    Is there a way to check if my power supply is still 100% ?
    Is that temperature from your CPU or is it from your graphics card? For a CPU its a bit high (maybe you have to renew thermal grease? It depends on how long you did it the last time), for a graphics card its OK I would say.

The best way to check if your power supply works fine is to change it with a new one and test it with the same conditions (doing 6 mans / raids), if your PC still shuts down it will be a problem with something else, if it is running completely normal with the new power supply it will most likely be a problem with your old power supply. There is another way with testing the voltage and something like that but I don't really know how this works and you need some tools for testing it (tools that the most electromechanical technician have), but I wouldn't recommend this way of testing because you can destroy much more (I think you have to open the power supply) than just changing the old one with a new one and testing it.
    Last edited by xCodename; 7th November 2014 at 14:52.

It's the temp of my graphic card.
    There is a video option ""Raid & pvp"
    If I enable that, can it help to lower the power consumption?
    To check with a different power supply will be difficult since it's only during raids and not every time.

The temp of my cpu stay bellow 70°C.

I would invest a few dollars in a power supply tester such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-023-_-Product or find a friend that has one to loan you.

Quote Originally Posted by itoewa View Post
    It's the temp of my graphic card.
    There is a video option ""Raid & pvp"
    If I enable that, can it help to lower the power consumption?
    To check with a different power supply will be difficult since it's only during raids and not every time.

The temp of my cpu stay bellow 70°C.
    Yes it will lower the graphic settings (particles only for you, not all),so it could help to reduce the voltage of the GPU.

I know it is difficult to test the PC with a new power supply if that shut down doesn't happen all the time but you should test it for a longer time (maybe one or two weeks) but another way to test it would be to buy the tool that Roddam posted, I never used it but it could be an easier way to check your power supply.

hm, I did a couple raids but my pc never shutted down.
    Yesterday I did first Jade citadel coourtyard and then lost dreams but my pc stayed alive.
    I can imagine Jade citadel coutyaerrd asks for the most power of all raids.
    My graphic card temp. was 75°C and my CPU around 69°C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast