Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Video Card but Low FPS

Default New Video Card but Low FPS

Just got a new AMD 290 after my old video card died. It was a visible upgrade to my last, but compared to the lesser competition, my FPS is still low. Appreciate if you guys can help me out.

Cpu's running at 3.6ghz, 16gb memory, conan's on a SSD, 290's running at stock, Win 8's running with minimal processes, amd catalyst, gaming evolved software, anti virus, gpuz, and wireless control manager.

In DX9, at the lowest setting without sweetfx, I'm getting 70-90 fps in khemi, while in highest setting, it goes down to 60-80 fps. While turning, it goes down to 44 min.

This is a huge issue atm in pvp. On maps like TT and sag, I just can't run at optimal settings. Even in lowest settings, even with high average fps, the minimal fps still dips, and while turning it makes the game feel very choppy.

So far when comparing to friend's and guildies, it seems my FPS is low. Any suggestions on if it's just the card's limitations, or am I missing something, should turn on/off something to increase performance?

Also forgot to mention, I use FDS/Ikos ui. /reloadui to default buys me 5 fps increase max. Still below what I feel I should expect.

What kind of CPU is it?
    Dorrak / 80 Barb - PvP 8
    Tartug / 80 DT - PvP 8

It is a quad core 920 i7. I'm also using high res texture. DLing low res atm to see if it makes a big difference.

Sounds about right for an i7 920.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

AoC, more so than most other games relies heavily on CPU. so it favours fewer, more efficient cores (not necessarily faster) and you won't necessarily find a huge increase by upgrading GPUs simply because of this.
    although as long as you're above 30 I wouldn't complain. JOIN ME AS WE LAUGH AT THE CONSOLE PEASENTS!!
    Last edited by gcustoms; 29th October 2014 at 00:46.

What power supply are you using?

I use the exact same CPU at home. I use an Nvidia card though and its around 140 FPS doing nothing. Drops down to about 50-60 in raids and things. Every setting is maxed except particles.
    Last edited by Halfdead; 29th October 2014 at 13:31.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Don't forget to alt+tab twice to make sure AOC is the top priority.

Yeah as others said. CPU more important than GPU.

I upgraded from a HD4870 that was bought at launch of AoC, to a HD7950 last year. FPS improved by a miniscule amount, the biggest improvement was that I now could run DX10 with the same framerate.

I later upgraded from the C2D E8400 3Ghz CPU, to a i7 4770K that I run automatic overclocking on. I think it is around 4Ghz now. FPS went 3x-4x higher. :-)

CPU is holding you back.

Your FPS sounds pretty normal for your setup. I upgraded from a AMD 6950 to a Nvidia 780 and it made little difference.

Changing from an AMD 955 CPU @ 3.7ghz to an intel 4770k @ 4.4ghz made a huge difference however.
    Dorrak / 80 Barb - PvP 8
    Tartug / 80 DT - PvP 8

Got it thanks. I think it might be the limit for x58 architecture. Even with upgrade cpu the speed is pretty much the same for single/dual core operation, unless it's heavily overclocked above what I've oc'd this current 920 to.

CPU's not the only culprit atm, but gpu as well. I've ran stock to mass overclock on the cpu and gpu, saw the loads. It seems that the 290, even working at 100, still hit a low fps wall at times.
    Last edited by Mathieulombardi; 29th October 2014 at 22:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathieulombardi View Post
    Got it thanks. I think it might be the limit for x58 architecture. Even with upgrade cpu the speed is pretty much the same for single/dual core operation, unless it's heavily overclocked above what I've oc'd this current 920 to.

CPU's not the only culprit atm, but gpu as well. I've ran stock to mass overclock on the cpu and gpu, saw the loads. It seems that the 290, even working at 100, still hit a low fps wall at times.
    What kind of drops exactly? AoC does not run great no matter what.

In Khemi I will set at 90ish FPS but can still drop to 40 fps and sometimes even lower for a brief second while running around.

Its the only game I have played that does it.
    Dorrak / 80 Barb - PvP 8
    Tartug / 80 DT - PvP 8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast