Thread: Three Suggestions

Default Three Suggestions

I know that at least one of these topics has been introduced a number of times on this forum, but I would like to give my input in a separate thread.

# 1 Improve the Looking for Group (LFG) System

The Global chat and grouping systems are very basic and ineffective for finding players for quests and raids. I also play Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO), which has an intuitive and highly interactive LFM feature that is launched from the Social panel. Being able to specify the exact quest or raid, the levels of the players needed, the classes needed, and any additional notes in one very visible place would improve grouping in AOC greatly. No one I have communicated with in game has been able to use the chat feature or grouping system to fill a single quest or raid. Everyone I know is instead grouping via their Guilds, which is dependent on enough guildies being online at the time.

# 2 Incentive for Daily Game Logins

As I mentioned above, I play DDO regularly and that game has a feature called the 'Daily Dice' which was implemented a few years ago. Every 16 hours, players can log in and receive one Silver dice roll which provides XP, boosts, platinum currency, and other items. Subscribers (VIPs) receive a free weekly Gold roll with better prizes such as cosmetic pets and outfits as well as the aforementioned XP, boosts, etc (the Gold rolls can also be purchased for Astral Shards). DDO's sister game, Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO), also offers a daily present to reward players for logging in.

From my experience, I have logged into DDO a number of times just for the Daily Dice but ended up playing for several hours. A small daily incentive would increase logins and also game activity, as well as sub purchases if subscribers received a weekly gift.

# 3 More Active Social Media / Outreach

I 'Liked' the Age of Conan Facebook page and also follow the AOC Twitter account and these social media accounts seem to be updated perhaps once or twice a month. If the AOC Facebook page posted weekly or preferably daily, this would increase the game's online presence and draw both lapsed and new players into the game. Other MMOs' Facebook and Twitter accounts are much more active and hence have many more followers. I also receive e-mails constantly from Perfect World about Neverwinter Online (NWO) and Perfect World's other games even though I played NWO only briefly. Funcom should be sending out e-mails at least a few times a month to their e-mail list regarding offers and game updates, but I don't think I have seen even one e-mail sent to my e-mail address on file regarding AOC.

That is what I had to say. Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Radicaltop View Post
    I know that at least one of these topics has been introduced a number of times on this forum, but I would like to give my input in a separate thread.

# 1 Improve the Looking for Group (LFG) System

The Global chat and grouping systems are very basic and ineffective for finding players for quests and raids. I also play Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO), which has an intuitive and highly interactive LFM feature that is launched from the Social panel. Being able to specify the exact quest or raid, the levels of the players needed, the classes needed, and any additional notes in one very visible place would improve grouping in AOC greatly. No one I have communicated with in game has been able to use the chat feature or grouping system to fill a single quest or raid. Everyone I know is instead grouping via their Guilds, which is dependent on enough guildies being online at the time.

# 2 Incentive for Daily Game Logins

As I mentioned above, I play DDO regularly and that game has a feature called the 'Daily Dice' which was implemented a few years ago. Every 16 hours, players can log in and receive one Silver dice roll which provides XP, boosts, platinum currency, and other items. Subscribers (VIPs) receive a free weekly Gold roll with better prizes such as cosmetic pets and outfits as well as the aforementioned XP, boosts, etc (the Gold rolls can also be purchased for Astral Shards). DDO's sister game, Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO), also offers a daily present to reward players for logging in.

From my experience, I have logged into DDO a number of times just for the Daily Dice but ended up playing for several hours. A small daily incentive would increase logins and also game activity, as well as sub purchases if subscribers received a weekly gift.

# 3 More Active Social Media / Outreach

I 'Liked' the Age of Conan Facebook page and also follow the AOC Twitter account and these social media accounts seem to be updated perhaps once or twice a month. If the AOC Facebook page posted weekly or preferably daily, this would increase the game's online presence and draw both lapsed and new players into the game. Other MMOs' Facebook and Twitter accounts are much more active and hence have many more followers. I also receive e-mails constantly from Perfect World about Neverwinter Online (NWO) and Perfect World's other games even though I played NWO only briefly. Funcom should be sending out e-mails at least a few times a month to their e-mail list regarding offers and game updates, but I don't think I have seen even one e-mail sent to my e-mail address on file regarding AOC.

That is what I had to say. Discuss.
    Thanks for the suggestions. #1 is a code heavy endeavour and #2 is something that we might include in our achievement system. As for #3 - we get in a lot of trouble for sending out a lot of emails (we get put on spam lists and filtered by large companies like Google) so we have to pace our letters. Not sure how other places can get away with it, to be honest. But I can push the community guys to update the other stuff more regularly *throws Tomium under the bus*

I use a Microsoft mail account and Funcom or perfect world mails don't land in junk folder :b

The suggestions are good and would improve the game a lot , especially the first one .
    From time to time I play Path of exile and you can create / join a group via the social panel and its a fast and easy way to find players to play with .
    In AoC it can be hard for fury and US player to find groups and a proper LFG function would make it quite a lot easier
    Typing on mobile
    Excuse mspellings and strange auto erections
    --------------------------------------------------
    (current) Mains: Slackjoint (tos), Daraiios(sin) , Quorrin (DT)

Yes the new store still blows

Thank you for your response.

Even if # 1 requires serious developer time, a better LFG system will increase player retention significantly. One of the most frequent comments I have seen from former AOC players is that they enjoyed the game, but couldn't find enough people to play with in order to progress through the content at a predictable pace. Many new and even veteran players have to find a Level 80 player or players in their Guild just to get lower level Dungeon content done, which defeats the purpose of having content at level. The investment of time to overhaul the player grouping mechanism in AOC would be worth it in monetary terms, even if this project has to be completed in a piecemeal fashion.

I don't think AOC dungeons are "LFG" friendly. WoW can get away with it because its easy as pie.

In many ways Wildstar is similiar to AOC (at least in terms of combat mechanics and movement) and LFG failed in that game pretty hard. Because Wildstar is pretty unforgiving in PVE (I would argue so is AOC)so it creates a lot of drama the second anyone does anything less than perfect (see Dickwad theory http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19/).

Old world dungeons are do-able, but Khitai and later stuff is not a bit casual friendly.

I am not saying that I don't want it but Wildstar taught me some MMO lessons and it reminds me so much of AOC's journey since 2008.
    Last edited by Slith; 12th October 2014 at 20:43.
    Retired