Thread: The donkey and the carrot.

Lightbulb The donkey and the carrot.

Howdy ladies and gentlemen!

First of all, I'm a returning player, and english is not my first language - so bare with me. I quit a couple of months after the Khitai expansion (so like 2-3 years ago), mostly due to the overwhelming farming modus people had to be in to enjoy it (hello bori!), but also and the main reason being; the fail-hard sieges. With that being said, I play an assassin, not too good at it im afraid, but I still keep learning and adjusting.

The whole purpose of this thread:
    Some ideas I have around the symptoms, illness and cure for what we all know and love as PvP and the population that loves PvP.
    There are no other game that delivers the potential to PvP like Age of Conan (allthough I do suck at it ).

I keep reading in global that people claim certain servers for being "dead". This is what I want to point out as a symptom. New players getting to 80 on Fury (as example, thats where I play, so lets use Fury here), and I mean fresh players. Never to have seen Age of Conan-ever-before-fresh. Well my point is, they must feel overrun by a truck greeting PvP for the first time. And I do agree, theres a learning curve, and you dont stand a chance in hell vs the PvP level 10 geared people that still are around playing. Theres like a extreme to both sides, you have the veterans that have played since launch, maybe even since beta, and you have freshmen (like my self, well at least freshly returned) and the road between looks like its a never ending path. To cut it short: I do understand if people feel discouraged joining in on PvP when you hit like a wet noodle vs someone that jumps around plowing you down like a fresh on the corner prostitute (pardon my language). And at the same takeing some salty comments on how much you suck, and to be honest you can not help but sucking, only hopeing that the ones you joined minis with wont leave before they actually give you a chance, all cause they see the lacking or low number on the side of your nick.

Onto the illness, or more of it. Its totally FINE to be PvP level 10, you have worked for it in some way or another, and thats the way it should be. But there should be a way to faster close the gap, gearwise at least, cause honestly: skills only take you "this far". The same can be said about gear as well, but thats not what most people think when debating wheter to move on to the next mmo, or to keep on getting facemelted in any way, form or shape of PvP. There needs to be done some changes as to how fast you can aquire one piece of PvP gear (other than spending real life money). Especially towards pvp 4-9, where gaining 1 campaign badge and 10 silver per minigame win just feels like someone is spitting in your face telling you to give up cause you already know you will need 495 of them for the PvP tier 2 set. And lets be honest here, winning a minigame where youre the passenger lowers the chance for that win to be realized by a few miles.

Changes I would love to see, and want the rest of you to discuss are these:
    • Keep the current speed of gaining PvP levels.
    • Raise the amount of Campaign Badges won per minigame win, I would set it at 5 for win and 1 or even 2 for loss (there needs to be a centiment for not leaving, and actually trying).
    • Raise the amount of silver to 20s per win, and lower the loss one to around 5.
    • Make random world pvp kills give the same as a loss (1 or 2), for like each 10th kill or something, or like a random but rare drop.
    • Change PvP levels so that you get a title instead, the number 10 or numbers in general just look silly, when you can work your way to a badass titel that tells others you bash skulls on daily basis.
    • The opportunity to use campaign badges as currency for other stuff as well is reasonable with an increase like suggested.

Well thats basicly what I think will make people stay for PvP, at least a chance to gain enough badges for their armor and weapons. Cause of course the good players will always be good, even vs people with the same gear, but then at least its skill that plays the role of the outcome, and not just those extra numbers on what youre wearing. And I do think alot of people get discouraged from grinding something that feels so out of reach, especially when being fresh. People need a carrot, that doesent feel like its half a year away from being sucked on, while at the same time being stomped in minis or world events.

Ok, this ended up into more text than foreseen, and in no way is this a way to whine about being badly geared, cause yeah, I'm well aware of being badly geared, but im one of the few that return and are ready to put in them extra gears. Not only do I think this will make people enjoy their play time more, but also keep people playing this game, cause why stop at gearing one char, when you can make one class of everything before you realize its the lack of skills that make you eat dirt in every PvP situation

Oh well, give me your 2 cents, and please keep this thread clean, as in no flaming each other.

Have a good one!

TL;DR
    PvP and minigames needs to be more rewarding for new players to keep playing, and to revert so called "dieing" servers.

PS!

Ive not has as much fun as I had to day, while dieing in wild lands vs people trying to kill each other over a quest, good stuff, but then again I dont mind dieing (not a statwhore per say).

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
    • Raise the amount of Campaign Badges won per minigame win, I would set it at 5 for win and 1 or even 2 for loss (there needs to be a centiment for not leaving, and actually trying).
    • Raise the amount of silver to 20s per win, and lower the loss one to around 5.
    • Make random world pvp kills give the same as a loss (1 or 2), for like each 10th kill or something, or like a random but rare drop.
    • Change PvP levels so that you get a title instead, the number 10 or numbers in general just look silly, when you can work your way to a badass titel that tells others you bash skulls on daily basis.
    • The opportunity to use campaign badges as currency for other stuff as well is reasonable with an increase like suggested.
    Good suggestions! My two cents:

ad (i): PvP XP gain from minis could be a bit faster (I know there's the festivals, but it's weird that minis on their own count so little), and
    ad (iii): Badges for losing is a problem, since it encourages people to leech by going afk in hide (which is even worse than leaving).
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

we stay try pusch funcom undestend what they need do for pvper , you can ceck this post :

http://forums-tl.ageofconan.com/show...hp?59898-pvper!
    Last edited by legionarium; 10th October 2014 at 17:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    ad (iii): Badges for losing is a problem, since it encourages people to leech by going afk in hide (which is even worse than leaving).
    This is true, but I do think there are ways to counter this. A faster AFK checker, lets say 1-5 mins or less after the "fight starts" => autoremove? (I think theres something like this already in-game). There should not be a problem checking the players activity in a set mini, internal "damage or healing done" counter which you have to exceed in or during a mini to recieve your participation "reward", or even a simpler "skill usage" checker. I'm of course not aware if things like this is doable to implement, but this is mindstorming none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by legionarium View Post
    we stay try pusch funcom undestend what they need do for pvper , you can ceck this post :

http://forums-tl.ageofconan.com/show...hp?59898-pvper
    Getting a 404 error, looks like the link is broken. Will search the testlive for it as well, thanks for your contribution

[b]
    Here is another point of view:

• Do not raise the amount of Campaign Badges won per minigame victory and remove the reward from participating in JS to avoid AFK people;
    • Do not raise the amount of silver per victory.
    • Do not change PvP-level titles;
    • The opportunity to use campaign badges as currency is already there.
    • Replace 5000 PVP XP skulls with 750-1000 PVP XP.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Getting a 404 error, looks like the link is broken. Will search the testlive for it as well, thanks for your contribution
    there, i fixed it for ya.
    http://forums-tl.ageofconan.com/show...hp?59898-pvper
    The Noob Comic, best parody on MMO-gaming ever. Funcom featured @Page 318
    Gone with the blastwave For those special post-nuclear moments...
    Apprentice Shield of the Risen opener

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticAsylumLA View Post
    Here is another point of view:

• Do not raise the amount of Campaign Badges won per minigame victory and remove the reward from participating in JS to avoid AFK people;
    • Do not raise the amount of silver per victory.
    • Do not change PvP-level titles;
    • The opportunity to use campaign badges as currency is already there.
    • Replace 5000 PVP XP skulls with 750-1000 PVP XP.
    This is why AoC is dead Alan,cause of toxic vets like u ...i rofled...but anyway
    OP suggestions are really great,so cheers

Reward for participating JS shouldnt be removed. Sometimes it happens like that both teams are good and strong and active in fight and flag capping. And you can lose with minimal difference of points like 100 or so. Since JS takes 30 min of gameplay it should be rewarded for participating too, and it is really small reward - just 1 token. It is not a reason for whine, i think the true reason for whine is anti-afk system because in other minigames there are afkers too even they got nothing for participating.