Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Epic Beginner's Guide to Herald of Xotli

It's if you execute well, as in, use your hfbs and spells in the optimal way that you'll deplete. So many underperformers are never bothered
    I couldn't finish a 3-minute parse on straw man without it when all I had was unchained/brittle blade stuff + guildcity manapots

With more Intelligence / mana regen there will be relief until you reach a point where its not needed at all (full t4 for instance)

Quote Originally Posted by Lurvi View Post
    It's if you execute well, as in, use your hfbs and spells in the optimal way that you'll deplete. So many underperformers are never bothered
    I couldn't finish a 3-minute parse on straw man without it when all I had was unchained/brittle blade stuff + guildcity manapots

With more Intelligence / mana regen there will be relief until you reach a point where its not needed at all (full t4 for instance)
    I should probably get in a rotation section then. A lot of people will read this guide and know the feats they need, but not necessarily how they all fit together the optimal way.

Quote Originally Posted by CimmerianHoX View Post
    PVP

Poss/Gen PvP
    The classic PvP build, taking advantage of the survival feats from Possession and General trees to keep you alive as long as possible to let you do your damage.

”A Slave to My Fire” Avatar PvP
    Hear me out on this one. Enslaving Fire is a useable AA for PvP, and a build built around low cooldowns for Enslaving Fire and the other Pillar combos, alongside having two demon forms to spread the stun, can be a viable cc heavy build that keeps the Improved Phoenix Cloak and extended Stun from the Possession tree. You sacrifice Purge from the General tree, but it’s a price to pay in order to try something a little different.
    First of all thanks for great effort of writing this guide. It really is very useful to new hoxes.
    However not really fan of your pvp specs. Possession one is not ideal but it can work. I mean possession can work even if you forgot to spec 5-6 points at all
    Still i think you should have taken magic dmg and etra range on pillars from general.
    Avatar on the other hand is very bad pvp spec. No searing hatered? No molten flesh? Charge over combat rating as avatar? Wrath of xotli, ye sure you can do without but still with stun as it is now it might be better choice than horrible visage. And recommending enslaving fire for avatar? You loose so much if you pass on rsox as avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by viroku View Post
    First of all thanks for great effort of writing this guide. It really is very useful to new hoxes.
    However not really fan of your pvp specs. Possession one is not ideal but it can work. I mean possession can work even if you forgot to spec 5-6 points at all
    Still i think you should have taken magic dmg and etra range on pillars from general.
    Avatar on the other hand is very bad pvp spec. No searing hatered? No molten flesh? Charge over combat rating as avatar? Wrath of xotli, ye sure you can do without but still with stun as it is now it might be better choice than horrible visage. And recommending enslaving fire for avatar? You loose so much if you pass on rsox as avatar.
    Hey, thanks for your feedback.

I've tried toying around with the Possession spec, sure you can swap out magic damage for the protection, but in PvP if you can afford to put points in defense to get you a few steps further towards your enemy or buy you time to finish channeling a spell, I thought it would be worth it. When you get better at higher levels with positioning and such, then I'm sure you could do without the protection and the extra damage is always a bonus. But how many people reading this guide to actually learn from it will be expert PvPers? I'll make a note in the spec that the points are interchangeable. However, I'm not too certain on where to scrape up the points for bigger pillar. Maybe taking one point off of Molten Flesh and losing the self-rez would work?

The avatar build I'll admit is a bit shakier. It's the one I toyed around with when I was trying Avatar in PvP, although without all the points in Phoenix Cloak that are now worth investing there. So I've taken some points from other places. Is Wrath of Xotli really worth more than the extended range and duration on the stun? Without Horrible Visage, the stun is not that great range or duration. In PvP, the extra few meters range and the extra few seconds stun I feel will make a lot more difference than the damage from Wrath of Xotli. Searing Hatred and Molten Flesh I'll admit were points I couldn't scrape up to get, but if we exchange the Charge for points in combat rating, it would give the points needed. But is the Charge reduction not that important for Avatar spec? I thought closing the gap would be even more important since you don't have Chains or the more powerful Flame Lash to throw at enemies running away, so you'll want the charge even more...

I made the Avatar PvP spec specifically for Enslaving Fire, because I thought that with the extra stun from another Pillar, the cooldown reduction from pillars and a second demon form for another stun would make for a very good cc heavy HoX build. RSoX gives you a lot of stats, sure, but it does that for almost any spec. This spec I made specifically to make Enslaving Fire better.
    Last edited by CimmerianHoX; 10th October 2014 at 21:00.

The avatar build I'll admit is a bit shakier. It's the one I toyed around with when I was trying Avatar in PvP, although without all the points in Phoenix Cloak that are now worth investing there. So I've taken some points from other places. Is Wrath of Xotli really worth more than the extended range and duration on the stun? Without Horrible Visage, the stun is not that great range or duration. In PvP, the extra few meters range and the extra few seconds stun I feel will make a lot more difference than the damage from Wrath of Xotli. Searing Hatred and Molten Flesh I'll admit were points I couldn't scrape up to get, but if we exchange the Charge for points in combat rating, it would give the points needed. But is the Charge reduction not that important for Avatar spec? I thought closing the gap would be even more important since you don't have Chains or the more powerful Flame Lash to throw at enemies running away, so you'll want the charge even more...

I made the Avatar PvP spec specifically for Enslaving Fire, because I thought that with the extra stun from another Pillar, the cooldown reduction from pillars and a second demon form for another stun would make for a very good cc heavy HoX build. RSoX gives you a lot of stats, sure, but it does that for almost any spec. This spec I made specifically to make Enslaving Fire better.
    Wont comment much on possession cause its easy mode and dont really like it as much.
    Stun is now innate and range is 4m, horrible visage increase duration of it not range. Since stun itself is not really that great anymore you might just as well skip 3 points there. Sure you can leave points there but player that I can stun with this range is someone that can be killed half afk.
    And trust me rsox dont give even close to possession as it does to avatar. As avatar you are transformed huge chunk of time and RSoX is such big gain and only choice for you. Ass possession you can run any AA you want but you loose soooo much if you use anything else on avatar build. Enslaving is really no go for avatar. You could try it for fun but thats it.
    Basically Avatar = RSoX

Charge is not that important to spend 6 points in it, specially, you guessed it, for avatar

Alright, did some testing. Putting points in Horrible Visage does not increase range, I got that misconception from the feat builder and thought it was truth. Wrath of Xotli is a great chunk of damage, but has about the same range as the innate stun and ticks every two seconds for good damage, I'll leave that to player choice if they want it or not for an Avatar PvP build.

I still hear from some people I talk to that Enslaving Fire is not bad on an Avatar PvP build, but RSoX is also really, really good as a stat increase, so again it's up to player choice. Changing those parts of the guide to reflect updates.

Alright, did some testing. Putting points in Horrible Visage does not increase range, I got that misconception from the feat builder and thought it was truth. Wrath of Xotli is a great chunk of damage, but has about the same range as the innate stun and ticks every two seconds for good damage, I'll leave that to player choice if they want it or not for an Avatar PvP build.

I still hear from some people I talk to that Enslaving Fire is not bad on an Avatar PvP build, but RSoX is also really, really good as a stat increase, so again it's up to player choice. Changing those parts of the guide to reflect updates.
    I dont know what people are telling you this but there is absolutely no reason to run avatar unless you are using RSoX. You get 100 int and strength when slotting this perk and additional 450 int and 325 strength when transformed. And you are transformed big chunk of time as avatar. Its quite simple avatar without it = completely useless and gimp. I mean 1 stun that is looong to pull off really cant come even close to substitute this.
    Possession on other hand can run any AA and do good (RSoX, enslaving, PoT, FtB)

Quote Originally Posted by Belawen View Post
    I know you said you mention "HoX-only AAs", but HoX might now be the only class that doesn't use your bread and butter Decisive/Pressing for best dps, but Immeasurable Empowerment instead, so worth a tip!
    Would you mind elaborating on this?

Id probably go with this for PvP Avatar.

http://goo.gl/MlpwoJ

Its a shame that all our best abilities are in seperate trees. Why cant we have skills that boost our constitution and hit rating.. lke Tos. Its not as if we don't need it... koff.
    But I cant imagine doing PvP without Phoenix, Clarity of Mind and Molten Flesh. Otherwise you're melted..

This however is coming from someone who hasnt pvp'd since over 3 yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlipso View Post
    Id probably go with this for PvP Avatar.

http://goo.gl/MlpwoJ

Its a shame that all our best abilities are in seperate trees. Why cant we have skills that boost our constitution and hit rating.. lke Tos. Its not as if we don't need it... koff.
    But I cant imagine doing PvP without Phoenix, Clarity of Mind and Molten Flesh. Otherwise you're melted..

This however is coming from someone who hasnt pvp'd since over 3 yrs ago.
    Not really optimal build mate. 3% for HS is really not worth it, and you really need 2m range on pillar and searing hatred. Xotli vengeance is also not needed while extra points in spitfire is nice. Never used clarity of mad in avatar build though.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast