Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PvP hoppy toad movement

Quote Originally Posted by Kalgon View Post
    Leave AoC's combat system alone!

Its the only thing left that keeps me playing. We don't need to water it down even more.
    Instant combos and aimbot for melees .
    We need a more WoW like combat

Ps.: Rangers need a ruin-shot
    Typing on mobile
    Excuse mspellings and strange auto erections
    --------------------------------------------------
    (current) Mains: Slackjoint (tos), Daraiios(sin) , Quorrin (DT)

Yes the new store still blows

Quote Originally Posted by Kalgon View Post
    Leave AoC's combat system alone!

Its the only thing left that keeps me playing. We don't need to water it down even more.
    This should not rule out it being improved. Better connection between the theoretical statbased system and real life input for reaction and movement, more tactical options for example (as explained above) and more LoS checks would fall into this category. Sadly i don't think the engine and mostly the physical locations and hardware of funcoms servers can do this now And the engine is the holy grail...just look at the way they want to sell dreamworld 3.0 >> dreamworld 2.0 >> dreamworld 1.0 (which might even be true from a devs point of view, but definitely not necessarily from a players/clients point of view).

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    This should not rule out it being improved. Better connection between the theoretical statbased system and real life input for reaction and movement, more tactical options for example (as explained above) and more LoS checks would fall into this category. Sadly i don't think the engine and mostly the physical locations and hardware of funcoms servers can do this now And the engine is the holy grail...just look at the way they want to sell dreamworld 3.0 >> dreamworld 2.0 >> dreamworld 1.0 (which might even be true from a devs point of view, but definitely not necessarily from a players/clients point of view).
    This is true, but I wouldn't regard punishing movement (i.e. additional energy cost for jumping) as an improvement.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    This is true, but I wouldn't regard punishing movement (i.e. additional energy cost for jumping) as an improvement.
    I do. But with current hollywood action choreographic mania, i am not surprised that i seem in a minority in video games too. But maybe you ask some martial arts people why they do not jump around like yoda in the newest star wars films. To me this is comic relief, not something i want as serious mechanic And if people want to do it, let them. But don't make it more powerfull than running and moving in a more realistic pattern while making ingame stats partly obsolute that concern movement otherwise. Just compare "jump trick" to "x" active defense and doubletapping. With your logic these should have no penalties as well (x makes you stationary as a drawback already, doubletapping is slow as well). So, give hopping a drawback too, if you care about any balance at all.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 15th October 2014 at 16:04.

Or we can just leave it alone?

Putting a drawback on jumping will only slow the combat down more. Plus we all know how Funcom ''fixes'' things.

Anyone can do it, so I say leave it as is.
    Dorrak / 80 Barb - PvP 8
    Tartug / 80 DT - PvP 8

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    I do. But with current hollywood action choreographic mania, i am not surprised that i seem in a minority in video games too. But maybe you ask some martial arts people why they do not jump around like yoda in the newest star wars films. To me this is comic relief, not something i want as serious mechanic And if people want to do it, let them. But don't make it more powerfull than running and moving in a more realistic pattern while making ingame stats partly obsolute that concern movement otherwise. Just compare "jump trick" to "x" active defense and doubletapping. With your logic these should have no penalties as well (x makes you stationary as a drawback already, doubletapping is slow as well). So, give hopping a drawback too, if you care about any balance at all.
    I am not all that bothered about whether it looks realistic or not. There are better places to experience the real thing than in front of a computer screen. Movement is one of the main factors which separates a good player from a bad player; it's much more important to allow people to compete on that basis than to make combat look super-real. (And btw, AoC combos look neat, but they would of course be utterly ridiculous in the real world...)

Oh and all of that is not to say that the current system works in my favour. But I'd much rather die to a player who moves better than I do, than die because, after some time of exchanging slaps to the face, my toon unfortunately ran out of "XYZ defensive resource".
    Last edited by Rathothis; 15th October 2014 at 22:11.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

This is a direct consequence of the lack of real mitigation system for most class.
    Game is really burst-based with few way to avoid damage, heals are outdated and there's almost no protection skills, so yeah, people kite.
    Look a all the advices in pvp for squishy classes : "kite kite kite". Some are even saying that you can outkite class X and that make it balanced (but ofc, outkitting an opponnent doesn't harm it, so it's only interesting in a pure defensive goal).
    As someone said, it's like the double-tap KB : unintended, but since KB lacks counters, Funcom kept it.

Yesterday my friend stopped telling me this story because I looked absent, she asked if I was listening to her, I swiftly jumped a few times to express I was present. Funny how the world goes, considering how jumping spread out in this game because it preserved stamina when sprinting. Idk if it's just me, but I actually like the bunny hopping, it has sort of grown to be an important characteristic of the game. It's like in mtg (those who play it knows 100% what I'm talking about), watch people play it, from pros to average joes, they all 'nervously' flip through their hand constantly in a symphony of flap flap flap flap flap, it looks like you got ADHD, the irritating sound of it makes people go mad, but you feel safe and confident when doing it.

Restricting jumping by i.e. energy drain would be like to live with someone who'd slap your hand away every time you'd bring it close to your face. *slap* "Don't bite your nails" "I wasn't!" *slap* "STOP it I'm thinking!" "Then don't think!".

A thing that'd be a tad interesting would be to implement some momentum to movement. You know, like in real life. That'd mitigate a lot of the laggy ******** we got now.

Quote Originally Posted by Belawen View Post
    Restricting jumping by i.e. energy drain would be like to live with someone who'd slap your hand away every time you'd bring it close to your face. *slap* "Don't bite your nails" "I wasn't!" *slap* "STOP it I'm thinking!" "Then don't think!".
    Double-step have energy restriction by i.e. energy drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzu View Post
    It's because I'm a cat, like my fellow French moderators. We change any insult/name calling to dog calling.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast