Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Discuss! Game Director Letter - September 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    Slith you have to provide sources for such commentary.
    Of course.

Cromcast podcast. Ep. 17 a Witch Shall be Born

http://thecromcast.blogspot.com/2014...l-be-born.html

This is very nice podcast where the hosts are talking in-depth about each Conan story and it's references. This is what one of the hosts claimed and I fully agree with him.

The story is about Conan overcomming the impossible odds. There is no damsel in distress to save and seduce (well there is queen, but she is no love interestes of Conan and it is not Conan who saves her) and there is no epic struggle with lovecraftian monster as he gets shot down on spot.

And one of the comments:
    "Thaug and Thog are usually considered to be spawn of Tsathoggua. Many consider it anti-climactic how the demon is just killed by arrows but I think it plays nicely into Howard's descriptions how the early humans fought off the demons of the Elder World (from Kull stories). It does not always require magical help or a heroic confrontation to kill the monster. Your take on the vanquishing of Thaug as goodbye to Lovecraft was a nice one".
    Last edited by Slith; 8th October 2014 at 08:48.
    Retired

As the coders like to put it "Hunter slays Cheetah".
    I'm sure you didn't want to say "ey guys Dreamworld 3.0 is a lot better than 2.0 but your game will never see it". I suppose I don't understand the sentence.
    Last edited by xiulo88; 8th October 2014 at 09:07.
    -> DT:Stiraqvcrn; Necro:Munyidora; ToS:Stiraqvaa; Guard:Stirameco; BS: Stiraqcanya, ...

If you see one Stira wipeing a group or a raid Its me

Quote Originally Posted by xiulo88 View Post
    I'm sure you didn't want to say "ey guys Dreamworld 3.0 is a lot better than 2.0 but your game will never see it". I suppose I don't understand the sentence.
    That's the coders comment, not mine. Else I was just explaining why the animation stuff in 3.0 would never be in 2.0.

Besides I work exclusively with 2.0 games (and older in the case of AO) - do you think I'd rather not have the newest tech? Trust me when I say I am on your side with wanting the best tech possible for the games my teams work with.

And thanks Slith, I'll check it out. I have spent a lot of time reading articles by Howard scholars, but had never seen that particular point made.

And thanks Slith, I'll check it out. I have spent a lot of time reading articles by Howard scholars, but had never seen that particular point made.
    Np. Cromcast hosts are no schoolars thou, they even remind that in every show. However literature is open to interpretation and I like that one a lot.

Hope you give this podcast a go, its awesome!
    Retired

That's the coders comment, not mine. Else I was just explaining why the animation stuff in 3.0 would never be in 2.0.

Besides I work exclusively with 2.0 games (and older in the case of AO) - do you think I'd rather not have the newest tech? Trust me when I say I am on your side with wanting the best tech possible for the games my teams work with.

Ok, thanks for the answer. Btw I'm totally ok with how AoC looks right now I really don't need anything else/better.
    Last edited by xiulo88; 8th October 2014 at 10:25.
    -> DT:Stiraqvcrn; Necro:Munyidora; ToS:Stiraqvaa; Guard:Stirameco; BS: Stiraqcanya, ...

If you see one Stira wipeing a group or a raid Its me

Quote Originally Posted by xiulo88 View Post
    Ok, thanks for the answer. Btw I'm totally ok with how AoC looks right know I really don't need anything else/better.
    Yeah, thoses animations are very nice (just small flaws like walking stance of polearm user), i've just pointed out the possibility at one point to have even better render engine. Any source of improvement is, i'm sure, is considered until harsh business reality hold them
    It's like the motion-capture dilemma : It seems funcom have the tools to do motion-capture (i.e new combos/emotes) but coding it into in game animation take too much devtime and ressources so the possibility exist but stay in the "can do" box until further ressources are freed from the tons of current projects :/ Kind of frustrating isn't it ?

and the addition of area looting. Area looting allows you to remap a key to loot any and all bags in the area with a single button press... but once you become used to it, you won’t ever want to loot the old fashioned way again!
    This is the worst news from the update, and the Game Director assumes that something will apply to everyone that is very subjective and objectionable.

Advice for veterans: create a macro in minigames that ticks SHIFT+V every 0.5 seconds so that you gather all the Conquest Tokens for your PVP armor; and they will be solely for you (run on a tiger in JS, if possible).
    Advice for those who want to have fun: use the same macro in raids.

Lord of the Rings had a similar feature, and it was atrocious even in PVE.
    I sincerely hope it did not make to the patch today...
    Last edited by LunaticAsylumLA; 8th October 2014 at 10:45.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    And one of the comments:
    "Thaug and Thog are usually considered to be spawn of Tsathoggua. Many consider it anti-climactic how the demon is just killed by arrows but I think it plays nicely into Howard's descriptions how the early humans fought off the demons of the Elder World (from Kull stories). It does not always require magical help or a heroic confrontation to kill the monster. Your take on the vanquishing of Thaug as goodbye to Lovecraft was a nice one".
    Well if Thaug and Thog are considered a spawn of a great old one/Outer God then it's nothing anticlimatic realy. It's merely a spawn not the big baddie himself.

Spawns of whatever Elder Gods have been killed off soo many times in various stories. by conventional weapons. But I guess some Lovecraft haters love to speculate his work out of Hyboria...
    Barb: Thomaran
    Hox1: Mweru
    Dt: Haikuju
    Hox2: Shugorann
    Tos: Nephertites
    Sin: Leogetz
    Necro: Viggomortis
    and others...

"The sky is green. It is because I say it is. And because I said it on the internet."

Just getting in early to say that it is unlikely that the GD letter will be "on time" this month. Marketing would prefer to hold on to it for a few days to avoid having mixed signals around the Halloween launch. So expect it sometime next week, as opposed to the 31st.

Thought I'd post this before threads asking where it is show up!

Thanks for news Joel! That's good when Dev team informs community what's going around. I hope new premium offers will also soon.
    Circle of Nine member since 20/10/2010
    Age of Conan player since 15/04/2009
    C9 Officer => http://www.c9-gaming.eu/

ToS FTW! Moar, moar power!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast