Thread: How does Essence Detonation scale?

Default How does Essence Detonation scale?

Combat Rating?
    Magic Damage?
    Weapon Damage?
    DPS of weapon?

I noticed the damage was higher when I put the dagger with the most DPS on my main hand.

It was 1637 unholy damage with lvl 50 crafted dagger as main and and lvl 80 crafted dagger as off hand. When I switched them it was 1860 damage. (On straw man)

I put Bel's Mirth in one of my daggers. I think magic damage processes that (but changing gear to magic damage is hopeless, for it scales poorly).
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

I *think* it has to do with base dps of weapon on main hand.

It could be tested with a blank feat tree and doing some detonations on a straw man with different weapons.

Weapon damage + Magic damage Modifier (not + magic damage)

if you mention weapon damage the one that alters it at first place and then go by through to make final score of ability is weapon damage modifier % - so for example if you have dps on weapon it will go enhighened by weapon damage modifier % such as first feat in sins tree - abilities like kidney shots or general tree bonus - and then after calculations it will give final score as damage dealt

also agree that bels mirth does a lot to scale it higher - if it is about deto

Default Miasmas. Without the guesswork.

To stop all the guessing here. And side notes are denoted as such *0* throughout.

I have tested the effects of Magic Damage, MD and such extensively with assassin miasmas and all of the miasmas work exactly the same for base damages

Magic damage; You could have a 2000 unholy magic damage. Your bomb will do no more. There is no scale.

Miasmas are effected by 2 things alone without critical hit:

1) Base dps *1*
    2) Magic damage multiplier - *2*

When you critically hit:

3) Critical Damage Bonus - *3*
    4) Tenacity amount % - *4*

Explanation

1): Your base damage is what will effect normal use of miasmas and how much more your critical damage bonus multiplies up. NOT your daggers dps directly and I'll explain why. Also as your base dps increases for the same critical damage bonus % your crits also scale up, as 50% of 200 is higher than 50% of 100.
    This is where people confuse their daggers effecting their miasma damage; Your daggers are effecting your base dps. Better dagger = better base dps = better miasma damage. If you have base 500 dps with 75 dps dagger and 500 dps with a 80 dps dagger the miasma will do the same damage all other stats being equal - which they likely won't be on a better dagger example being crit damage bonus.
    What is actually important here is that dagger dps is not equal to gear dps.
    1 dagger dps will increase an assassins dps by 3.02 (+202%). An assassin is sitting at +202% weapon dps bonus, ie, +2% from AA Decisive Strikes, +10% from Pit Fighter AA, +190% from Lotus Blades = 202%.
    Therefore your daggers upgrade is 3 times better per dps than armour/accessories/offhand dagger dps, where offhand dagger base damage doesn't effect base dps nor miasma damage.

So Base DPS. All other things effect the base dps to in turn effect your miasma.
    i) Base dagger DPS * +% weapon DPS
    ii) Combat Rating (all types and Dexterity*3= Combat Rating),
    are what effect your base dps. That Simple.

2) Much like slashing damage "spells" like Barbarians at the gates and guardians prime initiative, the magic damage modifier works for them as a straight up % increase. Hence Avatar of Death and Lotus Overdose have both increase "input" dps from +% weapon dps and increase on the "output" of spells with magic damage modifier.

3) Critical damage bonus as explained in point *3*
    4) Tenacity explained in *4*

*1* - Before armour and protection penetrations are considered - including debuffs on enemy reducing armour/protections by amount or % and penetrations on you that ignore targets' armour/protections
    *2* - Including piercing from facestabs and unholy/poison from dart dots.
    *3* - Your critical hits will do 50% more damage than normal hits plus your critical damage bonus, cdb ie. 0% crit damage bonus will see +50% on crit hits while 20% cdb will see 1.7* normal hit (+70%)
    *4* - When someone "critigates" they have remodes some of your critical damage. The target has a critigation chance and critigation amount that applies when their chance works. Tenacity bypasses this by the given % in your stats.
    Last edited by Surgery; 10th November 2014 at 18:37.
    Funcom's Latency Detonation crits you for 4800 millisecond damage. Claret died.

In Summary (to answer OP) to increase miasma damage:

a) Increase your dps - Effectively your characters input to the damage - Mainhand Dagger DPS*%weapon-dps and combat rating do this, where dexterity multiplied by 3 is combat rating.
    b) Use feats of % magic modifier - AOD and LO - also Fatality is a good dps increase circa 20% modifier iirc
    c) Increase your critical damage rating to increase how much more your critical hits do; limiting factor here is critical chance
    d) Use PvP gear and Master Assassin for Tenacity - suprisingly soldiers can have c. 40% chance and >40% amount passively from AA feats to critigate your crits without even equipping those feats.
    e) Armour/Spell Penetration - Ignores set value of Armour/Protection. Ambiguously, Spell penetration is actially protection penetration and not referring to piercing spells like facestabs. Armour Penetration is exactly that.
    Note that Spell Penetration actually works for Death Whirlwind for the same reason that Deathwhirlwind and Essence Detonation are the only two things to hurt a Conqueror with Overcome The Odds up. One is a spell, one is a combo. Both are Unholy. So bel's mirth does these two Spell penetration should really be renamed protection penetration imo
    f) Armour/Protection Debuffs - Removes set value OR percentage of armour or protection on an enemy.
    Last edited by Surgery; 10th November 2014 at 18:43.
    Funcom's Latency Detonation crits you for 4800 millisecond damage. Claret died.