Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guardian tanking, stats, AA's

DPSing on Burn Skin is another one of those ridiculous myths that is so obvious and easily testable it amazes me it continues. The 'stack shields for x damage type' is another. I hope people don't see the different colour in the response and believe it.

Back to the original question though I'll just echo some other comments - that mitigation number is low.

1. Can you post your build? Perhaps you are missing points from general that you should have.
    2. Are you in defence tactic?
    3. I wouldn't be stacking critigation chance (elusive nature) until you have critigation gear
    Last edited by Boesch; 20th September 2014 at 02:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Drest View Post
    Mobs have three basic melee hits, piercing, crushing and slashing. Not sure if there are actually cases where they do switch, but as a rule, they use one of those three melee attacks.
    So that is why, in Malice tanks put shields to the right (ctrl 33) because the sisters do Piercing damage and hit on your right side. The adds in Malice do slashing and add killers put shields to the left (ctrl 11) to minimize incoming damage. Flame boss in Monastery do crushing so place shields to the top (ctrl 22).

Look at the combat log, if you get more of one type than the other, place shield accordingly. They help a lot!
    ......................................__.......... ......................................
    .............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,.................................. ........
    .......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
    ..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
    ...............,-*lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllll.\.......................... .......
    .............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\............................ ....
    ..............\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,......................... ..
    ...............\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
    ................\llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-\..*`*;..)..........................
    .................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
    ..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/.\..................
    ................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*...\.................
    ................|.../.../.../.*`...\...........................)....)¯`~,..... .............
    ................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
    ..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---......\..../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
    ...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../............\........
    ................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|..............\........
    ...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,............\.......
    ......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\........

That is wrong shields have nothing to do with dmg type. When you get hit with physical dmg the side that you're getting hit flashes yellow. Look at your shields in flame next time he hits all sides.

Reason ppl jump at burnskin is to let other ppl know burnskin is on so that they stop dps because they are under the false impression that burnskin is a reflective shield when it's on and if you hit the boss you get hit back by the shield. WRONG!! burnskin is not a reflective shield you can dps through it. Burnskin pulses fire dmg when it's on no matter if you hit him or not. If ppl are already low on health and rogue slacks on fh, then burn skin's pulse may kill ppl. Having good dps in team and a tank to hold it makes flame a lot easier since the boss bubbles sooner than the tank dies.
    Last edited by Vahush; 20th September 2014 at 04:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Boesch View Post
    DPSing on Burn Skin is another one of those ridiculous myths that is so obvious and easily testable it amazes me it continues. The 'stack shields for x damage type' is another. I hope people don't see the different colour in the response and believe it.
    I recall when it first came out and I was consistently yelled at in pugs for DPS on burn skin ..like it was my TOS's fault that the rogue didn't get the buff off, but that is one that I still hear once in a while!

shields
    I feel an inexplicable mix of rage and amusement at the continued existence of this silly rumor. What the hell is wrong with AoC playerbase to keep it alive this long?

As for op, your gear level is a bit low for Zhu La. You might think he should be weak with the amount of farming he gets, but he's one of the strongest original K6 bosses. He became farmers' boytoy because he's straightforward compared to much wimpier but complex dudes like Air&Water and Kun Whu. You're going to need an offtank OR stupid dps (full T4 level of stupid) at that level of gear to survive Flame HM.

The places you can hold main bosses solo at your level are Vortex, Palace, Pagoda, Pillars, Abyss and ironically KK. You might try your luck at those.

Quote Originally Posted by cins View Post
    I feel an inexplicable mix of rage and amusement at the continued existence of this silly rumor. What the hell is wrong with AoC playerbase to keep it alive this long?
    It just doesn't even pass the common sense test, let alone practical tests (demonstrated by a video from Stian).

If it really worked common sense would tell you that:

1. Compared to a tank that doesn't stack shields, you would take approximately 50% less damage from all melee attacks.
    2. If you were taking literally half the damage every other tank took, you would be solo tanking anything/everything physical in T3.5 / T4 effortlessly.

It should be pretty clear by even the most casual consideration without any testing that it is wrong. If this doesn't satisfy you, youtube Stian's tests.

Oh well, shows what i know!
    Hamsters and rangers and everyone, REJOICE!

Note: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Funcom or its management.

Thanks for the advice guys. Been practicing tanking with guild and I've learned a few things which made it easier.

About armor. I kinda like the looks of the wolf chest. Is the hate from LL worth the loss of strength/crit compared to wolf?

Quote Originally Posted by Karyana View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. Been practicing tanking with guild and I've learned a few things which made it easier.

About armor. I kinda like the looks of the wolf chest. Is the hate from LL worth the loss of strength/crit compared to wolf?
    Yes.

10 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Karyana View Post

Yes LL is way better with hate increase, armor/stenght difference is marginal and you dont loose any armor with last legion in total. About crit damage, while it is a good stat in this case I'd rather go for LL with hate increase and look for crit damage elsewhere like on Wolf Boots/Belt...

Compare them yourself:

Last Legion Chest:

1893 Armor
    429 Critigation Amount
    6.08 DPS
    +720 Health
    +326 Stamina
    +8.15 Natural Stamina Regen
    +24.45 OOC Health Regen
    +24.45 OOC Stamina Regen
    +52 Hit Rating
    +35 Hate Increase Rating

Wolves:

1891 Armor
    377 Critigation Amount
    7.08 DPS
    +944 Health
    +406 Stamina
    +10.15 Natural Stamina Regen
    +30.45 OOC Health Regen
    +30.45 OOC Stamina Regen
    +48 Hit Rating
    +65 Critical Damage Rating

jumping on Burn Skin
    wasn't that only the rogue jumping to tell the rest of the gang that his/her FH still is on cooldown, so everybody be ready to pop a health pot or start kiting?
    - as a pug K6 usually comes with no TS and there is little time to write that in chat in the heat of the fight. literally

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast