Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guardian tanking, stats, AA's

Default Guardian tanking, stats, AA's

I've recently returned to the game and find myself playing alot on my guardian who's been neglected in the past, but I'm experiencing some difficulties tanking in Khitai HMs and would like some advice.

Yesterday I tried being maintank for Flames HM and while aggro was fine, I dropped in health really quickly even with two healers.

Gear:
    A mix of t1/t2 and khitai blues.
    Epic sword from T2 quest(?)
    Vengeance shield

My stats:
    Mitigation: 53.1%
    Protection: 30% while not wearing prot armor.
    Critigation Chance: 80%
    Critigation Amount: Around 23%

AA's:
    Elusive Nature (Maxed)
    Chromatic Warding (2)
    Vitality (Maxed)
    Empowered Vitality(slotable vitality) (2-3 points)
    Resolve
    Stall the Advance

Am I doing something terribly wrong or is there an easy fix to being able to perform better?

The boss in reliquary hits insanely hard , my dt is almost full khitai (legguards are still Tigers blue dungeon ones) Elusive nature is at rank 4 (can't tell you the exact numbers but both crit chance and amount are 60%+ , mitigation is52%but still the boss hits me with 1.9k normal hits and 2k-2.5k when critting

So it's not your fault
    Typing on mobile
    Excuse mspellings and strange auto erections
    --------------------------------------------------
    (current) Mains: Slackjoint (tos), Daraiios(sin) , Quorrin (DT)

Yes the new store still blows

Quote Originally Posted by Karyana View Post
    My stats:
    I wonder how you achieve such a low physical mitigation value as jugg. Since you mentioned vengeance as shield, i do assume you're running with a jugg specc.
    Are you using provoke 24/7 ? Don't you ever switch to wall of steel ?
    Those 2 can be switched instantly which is kinda OP because you can pop provoke for your burst and just after turtle down with wall of steel.

Also, have you feated improved defensive from general ? As jugg, you can actually afford it, which is rather sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellaus View Post
    I wonder how you achieve such a low physical mitigation value as jugg. Since you mentioned vengeance as shield, i do assume you're running with a jugg specc.
    Are you using provoke 24/7 ? Don't you ever switch to wall of steel ?
    Those 2 can be switched instantly which is kinda OP because you can pop provoke for your burst and just after turtle down with wall of steel.

Also, have you feated improved defensive from general ? As jugg, you can actually afford it, which is rather sweet.
    Those two can even be used at the same time, provoke is a Tactic and wall of steel is a Maneuver.

With T1/T2 and khitai blues 53.1% mitigation is not low in provoke, and depending on your healer you want to spend most time in provoke. If you spend most of your time in Tactic: Defence you will loose aggro way to fast. While switching buffs can give you advantages i do not think it will make or break a run in flames HM, how the group handles burn skin and how much healing the healers actually do are usually more important.

I have not myself tried flame hm in under t3 gear, so it may be it is just to hard for that gear level but to me it sounds like like it should be doable. improved defencive stance is very good at these lower gear levels.
    I am Stian ingame...

Quote Originally Posted by Karyana View Post
    I've recently returned to the game and find myself playing alot on my guardian who's been neglected in the past, but I'm experiencing some difficulties tanking in Khitai HMs and would like some advice.

Yesterday I tried being maintank for Flames HM and while aggro was fine, I dropped in health really quickly even with two healers.

Gear:
    A mix of t1/t2 and khitai blues.
    Epic sword from T2 quest(?)
    Vengeance shield

My stats:
    Critigation Chance: 80%
    Critigation Amount: Around 23%

AA's:
    Elusive Nature (Maxed)
    Chromatic Warding (2)
    Vitality (Maxed)
    Empowered Vitality(slotable vitality) (2-3 points)
    Resolve
    Stall the Advance

Am I doing something terribly wrong or is there an easy fix to being able to perform better?
    Honestly it can be that you're just undergeared for solo tanking hard modes but still should have a look at some things.
    There are many variables why your hp might have dropped so fast, maybe it was that your group was bad? The fact that you had 2 healers doesn't say much if they were for example really bad, or if dps was too slow to bring the boss down by 25% fast enough considering you're not really good geared yet.
    Also what Mellaus said I don't know if you had improved defensive stance feated? As s&s you should really go for it.

About the AA's and gear you have at the moment,
    T1-T2 gear combined with some khitai blues should be a good starting gear, bear in mind that some Khitai blues are better than T1/T2 pieces.
    Is your mitigation 53.1% in provoke or in defense tactic? If its 53.1% then it is a bit low especially if its like that in defense tactic, but again as Mellaus said try getting used to tactic swapping, preferably key bind provoke and defense.

Elusive nature does't go well with mostly T1/T2 gear and it is useless for you until you get more critigation amount from Khitai/Unchained gear, so I'd suggest you using pressing strikes, decisive strikes and chromatic warding depending on the type of damage. If you slot Chromatic Warding you will most likely have to use pressing strikes along with it due to low hit rating you would have until you get more Khitai gear.

Forget about Fortifying Vitality you wont need it.

Get Pressing and Decisive strikes.

Max out Chromatic Warding

Max out Empowered Vitality, and slowly start focusing on passive protection aa's.

Use Stall the Advance but try speccing at least one point in Counterweight it is a good combo for both s&s and polearm.

My suggestion for the gear you should aim for would be something along those lines:

Last Legion: Hate Chest > Hate legs > wrists > sholders (maybe helmet but you can get nice alternative from Forth of Ardashir)
    Wolves of the steps: Boots > belt from Flame HM
    Yellow priests of Yun for weapon: 1H blunt
    Try aiming for T3 shield or any shield from T1 to T3 should be decent enough, blue shield from Fort isn't that bad either.

About accessories,
    Brittle blade: Death ward ring
    Milestone ring
    Hyrkanians: Kakaba guide necklace
    Cloak (with hate and cons) from Vile Nativity

For magic dmg fights just get Bluesteel gear and crafted protection rings that should be a good starting set until you get T3 gear.
    Last edited by Redd; 19th September 2014 at 12:06.

I try to aim for a mitigation around 55 % as there really is nothing in the game a guard can't tank with that mitigation. After that it really is just diminishing returns. Try getting into T3 raids and get that T3 guardian armor because that is all you need to tank anything in the game. I have tanked all the way through T4 with it and really only found myself struggling a little when tanking at EMperor for magical crits. Use cunning deflection on the big hits and remember to get your shields aimed at the side the boss usually hits at. That about does it.
    Hamsters and rangers and everyone, REJOICE!

Note: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Funcom or its management.

Quote Originally Posted by Drest View Post
    I try to aim for a mitigation around 55 % as there really is nothing in the game a guard can't tank with that mitigation. After that it really is just diminishing returns. Try getting into T3 raids and get that T3 guardian armor because that is all you need to tank anything in the game. I have tanked all the way through T4 with it and really only found myself struggling a little when tanking at EMperor for magical crits. Use cunning deflection on the big hits and remember to get your shields aimed at the side the boss usually hits at. That about does it.
    Bad thing about the T3 armor is the lack of hit, which will be an issue in T4 raids.

You just need more critigation amount from khitai gears,
    btw flame/vortex boss can be easily kited forever, just kite til you are full hp then tank it again.
    Henryx Guardian
    Henryau Pom
    Henryz Barb
    Henryuki Hox
    Henryn Necro
    Crom
    - Henryx Age of Conan Youtube -
    - Henryx Age of Conan Blog -

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    Bad thing about the T3 armor is the lack of hit, which will be an issue in T4 raids.
    Never really noticed that tbh and it is really only a few bosses where that is an issue at all. Chances are he won't be main tanking those anyway as a new T4 player. But once you get started in T4, that gear will come fairly quick and you can start switching bits out.
    Hamsters and rangers and everyone, REJOICE!

Note: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Funcom or its management.

Quote Originally Posted by Drest View Post
    Aiming shileds at the side the boss usually hits? And how do you know this side?
    -> DT:Stiraqvcrn; Necro:Munyidora; ToS:Stiraqvaa; Guard:Stirameco; BS: Stiraqcanya, ...

If you see one Stira wipeing a group or a raid Its me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast