Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Need advice on building PC for conan

Quote Originally Posted by tapwater View Post
    Interesting to note that graphics card is overpriced on pccasegear.

http://smile.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-980-...nvidia+gtx+980

Be sure to shop around to see if you can find those parts a bit cheaper on sites like Amazon/Newegg, might save you a few hundred.

Not sure what the change in availability might be with you being in Australia. Good luck. Looks like a good computer.
    pccasegear is AUD while Amazon is USD?

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    pccasegear is AUD while Amazon is USD?
    True that I didn't think of that, but after conversion it looks like it is still overpriced.

829 Australian Dollar equals 733.60 US Dollar

Smile

This is targeted towards people who want to build a system around Age of Conan who are on a budget of about £450 with a little knowledge of overclocking!
    This system will run AOC extremely well at 1080p but at very low price !

If you are on a budget please consider the Intel Pentium G3258 (Pentium-K) (dual core) “anniversary edition” central processing unit priced at £47.98 (dabs.com). This Pentium-K is a beast in single-threaded performance and will keep up with the Intel Core i7-4790K priced at £254.98! (dabs.com). Reaching safe overclocks of 4.6 Ghz on a Z97 motherboard using just the stock intel heat sink which comes with it ! With aftermarket cooling (air/water) expect to overclock this chip beyond 4.6 Ghz ! This is where you will see a huge improvement in the performance of Age of Conan at a budget price of £174.79 when you upgrade only the motherboard CPU & memory (see below). Keep in mind thou when compared to the Intel i7 4790K's larger 8MB L3 cache it will always outperform slightly the Intel Pentium G3258 in single threaded applications but the difference is hardly noticeable in terms of gaming or benchmarks focusing on single threaded tasks.

For around £200 less you will get around the same performance in Age of Conan as an i7 !

UK price - Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHZ stock - £47.98 (dabs.com)
    UK price - Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz 8MB S1150 'Devils Canyon' Processor - £254.98 (dabs.com)

As for a motherboard I recommend GA-Z97P-D3 this board is cheap and durable and will be able to handle an overclock to 4.6 Ghz if you plan to stick with the stock heat sink that comes with the Pentium-K. it will also be out of the box ready for Haswell refresh, no bios update required. This board will also support the Broadwell range of processors which are coming out pretty soon.

Please NOTE you need a 9th generation motherboard to use Haswell refresh "out of the box ready". This is for people who have used a very old PC up until this point and want to upgrade their system. This is not for those of you that have been using PC`s that have been built in the last year as you will have the 8th generation motherboard which only needs a bios update to use Haswell refresh. I know some Asus boards have the usb flashback feature which does not require a processor present on the motherboard to update the bios. For the most part this feature is not available for most motherboards out there. A lot of people at this moment are building PC`s and falling in to a trap where they buy an 8th generation mother board such as Q87 Q85 B85 H87 Z87 and then buy a Haswell refresh chip and expect it to boot. It will not unless you’re lucky enough to get one which has been updated with the latest Bios. More in depth information about this in the link below.

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/com..._with_the_new/

Low Budget Age Of Conan based dream machine.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHZ OC 4.6Ghz (Pentium-K) £47.98 (dabs.com).
    Mother board: Gigabyte Z97P-D3 S1150 Intel Z97 Price - £64.84 (dabs.com).
    Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) HyperX Fury White Series 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIM - Price £59.98 (dabs.com) compatible with Z97, this is just my personal preference.
    Hard Drive : Samsung 120GB 840 EVO Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive Price - £56.98 (dabs.com) ( 64bit Operating System & Age Of Conan installed on SSD )
    Graphic Card : MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB (40% faster than the 750ti) Price - £136.82 (Scan.co.uk).
    Power Supply: Corsair 600W Builder Series CX Series CX 80+ Bronze ATX Power Supply Price - £49.50

This current build costs around £416 which covers Motherboard, HD, CPU, Memory, Graphics card, PSU. This setup will also be Broadwell ready. Age of Conan will run like a dream at a fraction of the cost of the i7 range and will perform just as well as the i7-4790K !

NOTE: WORLD BOSS EVENTS: Do not expect this setup to run age of Conan in max settings/full particles/name tags on/with a full instance of players and expect an enjoyable frame rate. Not even the Intel Core i7-4790K overclocked can give you an enjoyable experience during these encounters. To get an enjoyable frame rate perhaps the Broadwell-K (14nm) & Skylake-K (10nm) line of processors that come out in 2015 will be up to the task.

I hope this helps somebody out there who is thinking of upgrading their system around Christmas time who are on a tight budget.

Cheers
    Last edited by jonnyr31; 15th November 2014 at 18:03.

Yeah that would do fine of course, and at a much lower cost than an i7. Would give some more money for a better PSU though and get a http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair...%20gold&src=16

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234