Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dying guilds

Thank you for the kind words! I thought I will just get some bad replies, but I was wrong. My main problem was that anytime I offered teaching, noone was really interested even if they were new. I told everyone that that was the best way to get some experience, cause if we were wiping, it wasn't a problem since the group was made out of guildies. I think I will concentrate on the casual/social aspect and not raiding (of course I offer everyone the possibility to come with us and learn the tactics). I will keep on trying of course.

Quote Originally Posted by netsike View Post
    My main problem was that anytime I offered teaching, noone was really interested even if they were new.
    The problem with noobs of all stripes is that they're so bad they can't even imagine how awful they are. It's very rare that you'll find one self aware enough to realize they need to train. Those ones are precious and will make good players if they're dedicated to improvement. Leave others to get pwned over and over until they give up, ragequit or decide to improve. Don't indulge them, that'll only cement their badness; no effort slackers who're handed out victories/pixels are generally the first rats to jump ship at first strong wind.

Also sometimes you'll find players who're just bad and can't improve no matter how much they try. It's a tragic thing when those are also people who're very enthused about playing. Turning them down is like kicking puppies yet trying to play with them is futile and infuriating for everyone else. It's always demoralizing when the bad yet enthusiaistic guy has finally had it and quits the game.

Quote Originally Posted by cins View Post
    As for nondoomandgloom talk: You're gonna have to sacrifice either friendly-casual atmosphere or raiding. They don't stick. One will eventually overshadow the other and next thing you know, your guild exploded.
    "Friendly-casual atmosphere" and "raiding", are not mutually exclusive. A guild can exist with both and do well long term. It takes great leaders and good like minded people for it to succeed, but it definitely exists in AoC.

The way i see it, to build a guild in a game like AoC, you need a strong core team, ideally made of 7-8 dungeonners.

Basically, a bunch of solid dungeonners can carry an entire raid up to t3/4, so you can have a raiding guild with just that core being good.

So the first step in my opinion would be to create a very small guild, like 10 players max, focus on getting good enough to run all the unchained, dragon spine and paikang dungeons. That way you can build your core team with that awesome gear from there.
    It might take a month or two.

Once your core of dungeonners is solid enough in terms of skill and character development, then you can start pugging T2/T3 since your core team will be able to carry most pugs.
    T2 would be to get the ibis recipe, for selling ibis and crafting some for your tanks, then you can craft in T3. Those 2 points are very important for any raiding guild imo, it's a good source of cash and something cool to offer for guild members.

After that, it's T4.
    Then if at some point you have an entire raiding team, then you can step into T3.5.

That being said, as a new guild leader you need to find a bunch of officers, hopefully among your core team of dungeonners, because carrying a new guild forward is literally exhausting and doing it alone will just burn you out.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorAppleSauce View Post
    This smells like another "This game is dying thread"

The game's not dying ... that is all.

Guilds are "no easy" If you don't have the leadership in place that can put in the time, it is difficult to keep up. There are many out there that just want to play and not have to worry about running anything (which you cannot blame them for). For any guild to be successful there are two main elements that need to be present ... time and payoff.

If there is no time to lead and organize, you will fail.

If there is no payoff for members or leadership, you will fail.
    Another hopeless optimist, let me correct you:

If there is no population left to recruit from, you will fail.

It the current state, the only really stable guilds holding together are hardcore raiding guilds that can still benefit a little from leeching players, but even this has basically stopped since there is noone to leech anymore. There might be few casual guild exceptions like Dawnsong, but thats about it.
    Emirri - Dark Templar
    Naerri - Herald of Xotli, Arrienne, Argene, Barbeena, Conqubinne, Shaniz, Shinzei, Laylani and Dorela

Agreed with Naerri, also, i think there's too much guilds for the current population in game so the situation isn't quite surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibik View Post
    Agreed with Naerri, also, i think there's too much guilds for the current population in game so the situation isn't quite surprising.
    True, but can you blame those few active newcomers for wanting a guild of their own? Recruiting in NPH channel, full of expectations and hopes...it's really sad, because you know how it's gonna end for them.
    Emirri - Dark Templar
    Naerri - Herald of Xotli, Arrienne, Argene, Barbeena, Conqubinne, Shaniz, Shinzei, Laylani and Dorela

Quote Originally Posted by Naerri View Post
    True, but can you blame those few active newcomers for wanting a guild of their own? Recruiting in NPH channel, full of expectations and hopes...it's really sad, because you know how it's gonna end for them.
    I have to agree with this. Coming new to the game, having a fresh 80 and wanting to create your own guild to do raids and dungeons that no one bothers with anymore. There are guilds that only log on to raid t4, then log off again. Once they max a toon out with gear, time to switch to an alt. Established guilds will take the alt because that player is proven. New players though, have somethings to learn. So they don't get a spot.

It is so much worse on Fury now. My guild used to do 6 mans, some raids but mostly pvp. When some key people left for other games (bad ones too imo) it left us with only a couple members. We had to join another guild, and got to stay in it until it also died.

Merging the guilds to survive.

It kills the game.

There's too many guilds already, some guild consolidation needs to happen imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    There's too many guilds already, some guild consolidation needs to happen imo.
    It already happened. Didint RA absorb many SRs players, and IS players before that, and even some TeG leftovers a while back? Every time a guild folds the few players still active eventually migrate to other guilds, untill those guilds themselves collapse. It has been this way for 4-5 years now. Thats consolidation.

as for the OP, Im sry to disappoint you but its far too late in this game to expand a new guild towards end game raiding capabilities. You might get a solid core of dungeon players and that can be super fun, creating true friendly bonds but eventually the hardcore players will outgrow what the 6man dungens can offer and move on to a raiding guild they can fit in. By then you'd have to start the whole recruitment cycle again and will probably get burned out/discouraged to continue a guild maitainance. Trust me, Ive been there and its a pain to see your friends leave and try to rebuild over and over. What you CAN do is not worry so much and try and have fun, make friends enjoy your time. Dont put too much pressure on yourself or your officers. If you want to progress into raiding look for a guild alliance with a more experienced guild at this stage there are many other struggling to retain their players into a sustainable raid condition. This was partially brought up by a major design flaw in AoC, requiring 24 players to form a raid. That pretty much blocks the smaller guilds from having access to end game raids. Theres not enough subs left to keep multiple guilds alive these days so the natural course is shut the doors and move on to other guilds/games once your own project dies. Mmos have a lifespan as well.
    Last edited by Wulfgaarr; 17th September 2014 at 18:45.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast