Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Current state of the game

Quote Originally Posted by etrym View Post
    but as i said previously. my rant is not really about this but that the game is designed to repeat the same content over and over and over to eventually get something.
    even if you get in groups you are kinda forced into doing the same dungeon over and over because the item you want/need only drops in that one dungeon.
    this is also not completely true. for example at the moment i'm getting gear for my barb. of course i'd like to have the tiger's belt, that drops in abyss, but it's not really mandatory, because i already have the hyrkanian's one, that is also good enough.
    of course, when i'm in group, i usually ask if they want to also do abyss, but i have no intention to grind it mindlessly.
    basically, i think that the content is as grindy as you want it to be. normally there are alternatives.
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

but as i said previously. my rant is not really about this but that the game is designed to repeat the same content over and over and over to eventually get something.
    Well but this is how MMORPGs work, no? It doesn't really matter whether the game opts for a token (Khitai) or for a drop chance system (old HMs like Xibaluku and IT, and new Unchained modes). In the end the aim is to make you do the same stuff over and over again, so the company gets the max return out of their investment.

The real issue is not repetition as such. It is the fact that the content we have to repeat has been pretty much the same ever since RotGS. Most vets have been doing these dungeons to exhaustion, and have explained them to countless players before. At one point or another, many have become jaded and just don't want to bother anymore.

That said, joining a guild should help with your problem. But in the longer term, only FC can provide incentives for vets to be more sociable towards new / returning players. As has been said before, the new crafting and achievement systems will hopefully address this issue to a certain extent. Also, it wouldn't hurt if FC relaxed ftp restrictions a bit...
    Last edited by Rathothis; 3rd September 2014 at 15:22.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

the game is designed to repeat the same content over and over and over to eventually get something
    Well, what else do you expect? It's an MMO, they're built on repeating certain content over and over. If you could play every dungeon and raid just once and get everything possible in one go, this would become a very much shorter game. There's a truckload of dungeons, yes, but not nearly enough to last much longer than a month without some sort of artificial grind.

You might be thinking of Champions Online, the only MMO I know that has managed to survive with very little grind (or even content), which is built up on an entirely different type of fun. CO players make craploads of alts with extremely indepth toon customization, it's a game for people who get their jollies from maths and numbers and optimization (spandex tights and capes are prolly just a bonus to them). Most other "themeparks" rely on old pixel hamsterwheel, including AoC.
    Although you're right about the community being a festering problem. We all know for a fact that "AA/gear/xp" is dumb bullshit (except for the 4-5 dungeons when it isn't), even those dumbasses who write AA/gear/xp know it's a pile of crap yet they keep doing it because they're cowardly freeloaders who want to be carried by their betters. But a new player won't know and the result is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgmoth-VDN View Post
    this is also not completely true. for example at the moment i'm getting gear for my barb. of course i'd like to have the tiger's belt, that drops in abyss, but it's not really mandatory, because i already have the hyrkanian's one, that is also good enough.
    of course, when i'm in group, i usually ask if they want to also do abyss, but i have no intention to grind it mindlessly.
    basically, i think that the content is as grindy as you want it to be. normally there are alternatives.
    two things tho.
    1. you have the exp required to get into any group. new and returning people dont. and not every class can just choose a piece and its just as good as the other
    2. whatever belt you want, you still have to repeat a single dungeon until it drops. my point is that FC could have made it drop in several dungeons to give an alternative to just doing the one. ie the feel of repetitiveness would be less.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    Well but this is how MMORPGs work, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by cins View Post
    Well, what else do you expect? It's an MMO, they're built on repeating certain content over and over.
    Of course but there are better solutions than the ones presented right now.

As mentioned, Khitai gear could be dropped in more than just one single dungeon per item.
    There could be a better variation for factions quests and there could be more options for solo dungeons to get rares.
    Normal modes could offer a bit more/better reward(Ie imperial insignias/moas and rares) to give new players a better base for hm experience and give veterans a reason to bring newbies once in a while.
    old world raid gear could be redesigned to be a good alternative for khitai gear for all classes giving another option for end game content.
    FC could even start selling rares and such in the in-game store to give an option for people willing to pay to get some gear faster. of course not t4 but certainly for khitai rares and up to t3 tokens.
    I know you veteran players probably will say thats p2w but remember it doesnt really affect you anyways(you can still ask for AA/exp in groups) and it will bring increased revenue to FC.
    If FC had bigger revenue maybe you would get new content as well faster.

All of these could give us new and returning players a better reason to actually stay and pay for a sub. even if we just stayed for 6 months its more than 0, right?

you may disagree with these suggestions but its a lot better than: join a guild and accept the repetition.

two things tho.
    1. you have the exp required to get into any group. new and returning people dont. and not every class can just choose a piece and its just as good as the other
    2. whatever belt you want, you still have to repeat a single dungeon until it drops. my point is that FC could have made it drop in several dungeons to give an alternative to just doing the one. ie the feel of repetitiveness would be less.

Of course but there are better solutions than the ones presented right now.

As mentioned, Khitai gear could be dropped in more than just one single dungeon per item.
    There could be a better variation for factions quests and there could be more options for solo dungeons to get rares.
    Normal modes could offer a bit more/better reward(Ie imperial insignias/moas and rares) to give new players a better base for hm experience and give veterans a reason to bring newbies once in a while.
    old world raid gear could be redesigned to be a good alternative for khitai gear for all classes giving another option for end game content.
    FC could even start selling rares and such in the in-game store to give an option for people willing to pay to get some gear faster. of course not t4 but certainly for khitai rares and up to t3 tokens.
    I know you veteran players probably will say thats p2w but remember it doesnt really affect you anyways(you can still ask for AA/exp in groups) and it will bring increased revenue to FC.
    If FC had bigger revenue maybe you would get new content as well faster.

All of these could give us new and returning players a better reason to actually stay and pay for a sub. even if we just stayed for 6 months its more than 0, right?

you may disagree with these suggestions but its a lot better than: join a guild and accept the repetition.
    Well it sounds like you made up your mind so doesn't even make sense to have a convo about it?

Anyway, you are way to focused on "that specific piece of loot". I know, I was once and when i finally got that specific setup it turned out that I did not do that big of a difference. Because I had not figured out my class yet.

Basically, yes tiger gloves from pillars are great, but you can pick up other gloves that will work almost as good.

And with stuff like caravan revamped even for normal mode, you can get some pretty nice blue items (2 sets for soldiers in normal mode even) and they are deffo on par with k6 blues, maybe even better than blue faction.

And ofc. House of Crom got some cool blue sets (Hox set nearly rival epic brittle blade), but they usually lack something like con, but you can boost that in other ways.

Finally, if you are on a DT then you picked the most gear dependant class in the game (sad but true). It can easily turn players into loot whores.

Short version. This game is almost drowning in decent and great loot now. So if you get some pointers from friends, then you can obtain stuff without having to grind like a crazy, and learn a bit about your class (Dt's can do pretty good as off tanks with tali and or with dreads). But you cannot play this game solo, that's just how it is.
    Barb: Thomaran
    Hox1: Mweru
    Dt: Haikuju
    Hox2: Shugorann
    Tos: Nephertites
    Sin: Leogetz
    Necro: Viggomortis
    and others...

"The sky is green. It is because I say it is. And because I said it on the internet."

The discussion seems to develop a bit into the "advice on Kithai loot" direction, but I'll bite.

Kithai epics are great and all, but don't work your @ss off for those last shiny purplexx. Most common example are those dreaded tiger pieces for soldiers which never seem to drop. Loot instead at the blue pieces you can buy at the faction trader. Especially the leg armor has hardly any difference between the good blue and the epic version. The difference in stats is so miniscule that you'd only notice them by studying a very, very long parse with exactly the same conditions - i. e. never.

Go for 7/8 or 6/8 of your favorite gear and fill the gaps with something worthwile you got along the way. You'll do fine with that.
    Make Hyboria raid again!

Khaletoheps AoC-Youtube-Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Khaletohep

Guides zu Klassen & allen HM-Solo-Inis:
    http://www.nachtwind-gilde.com/guide...-age-of-conan/

i went f2p and i can't do anything now...
    and even if i wish to resub... i don't see why... i wish this game has something else to offer, but to be honest, i don't think it will happen now.

sadly, for me, i can't replace this game, for 1 year i've tried to find something else to play as i played this... but nothing compares to AoC, gameplay, immersion, soundtrack, graphics, the feel that gives to make a fatality, history; overall the whole experience of playing AoC, is great.

maybe focusing all content to lvl 80's was a mistake. now, nothing can be done about that.
    meh...

What does gear acquisition have to do with “the state of the game”? I mean, if playing the game is a side product for loot, you’re doing it wrong. Rare trophies and T-relics buyable in the in-game shop? Why? So you could skip content only to find out the only content left for your decked out toon is the content you skipped with money? So you pay to pay for nothing. If the only thing you’re playing for is gear progression, all progression on that side is game regression, be ready to feel reeeaally empty once you’re done. Rework T-gear so you can farm Khitai comparable gear in a day from World L00t Piñata and feel even more empty, faster? (http://youtu.be/L0NtHToPoCM) I know, I’ve fallen into that trap before, I “worked” my ass off to gear up my DT, pronto, ended up doing like a 100+ yag’s to get those LL hate pants. Was it fun? No. Do I play my DT now that it’s “pimped” out? No! And the most disappointing thing is, that Khitai stuff is kinda useless. Not enough mitigation to tali MT, prot gear is crap so you cant do raids. What’s left? Yeah, not doing yag’s anymore.

Im close to full T4 on my HoX and I’ve never enjoyed doing HM’s as much as I do now with her, and I loath the thought of doing it with another toon and fall in that rat race again. I can enjoy the lore, artwork, you name it I’m loving it. I guess it’s easier to say that, once you’re on the top of the PvE food chain so to speak, but I dare you who are struggling with “the grind” to press the PASS button once in a while. It’s liberating. And give those solo dungeons a rest for god’s sake, doing those for rares is like beyond full retard.

TLDR Improving your character is not improvement.

State of the game? It’s whatever you decide it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Belawen View Post
    State of the game? It’s whatever you decide it to be.
    I wish that were true because I do indeed love this game, but veteran players leave everyday out of sheer boredom. Everyone else only stays for a chance to get T4 gear on their fourth alt. New players don't fit into T4 guilds easily because they are still learning to raid and to play their character.
    Returning players have a difficult time finding a place to fit in too because they are also ungeared because of what most group leaders expect...GEAR EXPERIENCE AND AA...over and over that is what most any group is REQUIRING.

Yes there are a bunch of starter guilds out there who run T1, T2 T3. But its very sad to say that whole guilds and tons and tons of folks have quit this game without ever having the joy of clearing T4.
    Some guilds still can't kill Thoth, he still requires some coordination and team work and DPS.
    I know that folks can and do leave the smaller guilds to come to the T4 guilds and that seems to be a natural progression for those that stay in the game, but I know we have closed recruiting and very RARELY do we open it up for anyone, not many other US guilds are doing T4, so where do these guys find a future home with no T4 guilds to go to?
    I have always advocated the "teach a man to fish". method, so I believe those of us in successful guilds should mentor and help the struggling guilds. Teach their leaders how to run a raid, how to do the fights, help them be successful so the game continues. I don't want to lose my guild mates to other guilds and I am sure the progressing guilds don't wish to lose their player base over and over to BIG GUILDS. So lets try to share our knowledge with those who want to learn. I can't have everyone who wants to join my guild in it. I have enough cats to herd! But I can help a leader of a struggling guild, and when that guild starts succeeding those players will stay there and not wish to go to the BIG GUILD...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Belsvard View Post
    i went f2p and i can't do anything now...
    and even if i wish to resub... i don't see why... i wish this game has something else to offer, but to be honest, i don't think it will happen now.

sadly, for me, i can't replace this game, for 1 year i've tried to find something else to play as i played this... but nothing compares to AoC, gameplay, immersion, soundtrack, graphics, the feel that gives to make a fatality, history; overall the whole experience of playing AoC, is great.

maybe focusing all content to lvl 80's was a mistake. now, nothing can be done about that.
    This can be a problem but most if not all mmos start really at the level cap. In this case lvl 80. I know theres not alot to do if your ftp.
    I hope that once they introduce gear set stats that they retro fit them to old gear such as the "T0" sets such as the emperial and skyshear in the case of the ToS. This could give ftp players something to grid for. Open up areas like onyx and aztels and epic
    bats again.
    It could even be done with the lower sets like the zepherous ( again a ToS example)
    IMO gear sets if retro fitted could breath life into the ftp area of the game.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456