Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: No gd letter today?

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    Short answer - It wasn't working well enough to let you guys play around with it.

Longer answer - It was "functional" at that point and has been for a long time - and I thought we would be able to patch it to testlive (at least the basic functionality) but the people working on it convinced me that it would just annoy people rather than make them happy.

There is *so much* cleaning up that has had to be done for the crafting system. To give you some idea of the challenges faced - when Conan was originally in development, some of the items were created using the original AO tools (from 2001).
    There was a new item tool made for Age of Conan, and the bulk of items for AoC were made in that tool.
    Then a new tool was made for TSW - but with the idea that all new items for AoC would be made in that tool as well (unifying the projects is always good, especially when you have a shared live team).

So Age of Conan has items made in three different tools, which all function differently in code.

In the crafting system, you need to be able to salvage crafting materials from items that you find. The salvaging system is only compatible with items that work in the third tool I mentioned above.

So...one heroic team member has spent a long (long) time recreating every item in AoC in the newest tool to make sure that everything will work with the salvaging system. That is thousands of items. That is months of work.

That is just one of the problems that we have been wrestling with on the crafting revamp.

And to make it clear, I have had a team member focused only on the crafting revamp for over a year now. Just working on crafting. That should give you some idea of the scope.
    Thanx for the info. I was wondering becuase on the video stream on MMORPG with Sirillion it looked almost finsihed. And in his words, it was a couple of months of work left. 1 team member isnt much, but I guess the whole team isnt that big. So I guess that we can just forget about the crafting revamp to be finsihed anytime in the near future then.

that crafting revamp in the hands of Sirloin would have been a complete disaster just like every other patch AoC release at his command. Buggy feats, breaking stuff that was working previously, etc. I'm glad they delayed the release we might actually have a workig new system when it launches...when.

On a side note, the saddest part of it all isn't even the endless delay. Its the fact it is a complete useless addition to the game at this point and the new GD had to follow it through because the previous helmsman had promissed it to the community, speaking high and mighty how much of na innovation it would be. If he could be spending resources in much more important things to the game, I can only wonder if Cetriss, new mini map and far more interesting ideas wouldn't have been deployed by now...

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgaarr View Post
    Its the fact it is a complete useless addition to the game at this point
    not sure I agree. funcom has to do different things besides just adding more minigames, 6 mans, and raids.

Short answer - It wasn't working well enough to let you guys play around with it.

Longer answer - It was "functional" at that point and has been for a long time - and I thought we would be able to patch it to testlive (at least the basic functionality) but the people working on it convinced me that it would just annoy people rather than make them happy.

There is *so much* cleaning up that has had to be done for the crafting system. To give you some idea of the challenges faced - when Conan was originally in development, some of the items were created using the original AO tools (from 2001).
    There was a new item tool made for Age of Conan, and the bulk of items for AoC were made in that tool.
    Then a new tool was made for TSW - but with the idea that all new items for AoC would be made in that tool as well (unifying the projects is always good, especially when you have a shared live team).

So Age of Conan has items made in three different tools, which all function differently in code.

In the crafting system, you need to be able to salvage crafting materials from items that you find. The salvaging system is only compatible with items that work in the third tool I mentioned above.

So...one heroic team member has spent a long (long) time recreating every item in AoC in the newest tool to make sure that everything will work with the salvaging system. That is thousands of items. That is months of work.

That is just one of the problems that we have been wrestling with on the crafting revamp.

And to make it clear, I have had a team member focused only on the crafting revamp for over a year now. Just working on crafting. That should give you some idea of the scope.
    Just to clear things up: I am pretty sure (don't make me dig up exact quote), but the "salvage" system was aimed at raiding items only. Wasn't it the new team that changed it to applicable to ALL items?

I am happy that you did (it's a MUCH better system) so confirming that information (the original design wasn't good enough) would probably make people understand the hold-up better.

Also I am pretty sure that everyone really wants one, single information:

Crafting revamp coming in 2014? Yes/No
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgaarr View Post
    the new GD had to follow it through because the previous helmsman had promissed it to the community, speaking high and mighty how much of na innovation it would be. If he could be spending resources in much more important things to the game, I can only wonder if Cetriss, new mini map and far more interesting ideas wouldn't have been deployed by now...
    ... This GD has promised things that won't happen either(ex: cross-server tech). Maybe because a miscalculation or maybe to make people resub but the fact is every GD has lied to us. Blaming the previous GD don't make sense 2 years after the change.

PD:I'm not angry with the GD or enraged I only don't care anymore.
    -> DT:Stiraqvcrn; Necro:Munyidora; ToS:Stiraqvaa; Guard:Stirameco; BS: Stiraqcanya, ...

If you see one Stira wipeing a group or a raid Its me

The developers just should stop making promises . I am refering to cross server tech and new crafting system , but there would also be other things to mention .
    And its always the same picture , at first funcom promises something , then comes a long period of silence , then you get the info that it is either "difficult" and takes much longer than promised or " it has been pushed back indefinitely"
    But how can one expect major changes to happen when guild renown hasnt even been fixed yet for almost one year
    Typing on mobile
    Excuse mspellings and strange auto erections
    --------------------------------------------------
    (current) Mains: Slackjoint (tos), Daraiios(sin) , Quorrin (DT)

Yes the new store still blows

Why guild renown wasnt fixed yet? I will tell you why. Because Funcom has no f***ing clue how to fix it. Or dear funcom devs are u tring to tell us its so complicated that it takes a year?
    Elleanorr - Stygian Demonologist
    "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
    {Circle of Eternity}

I had a coder look at this a while back (some months). We were told it was fixed and we patched the fix.
    We'll get someone to take a look at it when they are back from holidays.
    As always, our coders are stretched thin between several tasks so I cannot offer a time frame for this.
    Be constructive, and next time try to search the forums.
    Short cuts make long delays.

I think devs should be the one to search the forums. Because if u were told it was fixed and still there are new posts saying its broken then there is something wrong.
    Last edited by Elleanorr; 31st August 2014 at 18:37.
    Elleanorr - Stygian Demonologist
    "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
    {Circle of Eternity}

Quote Originally Posted by Anzu View Post
    Be constructive, and next time try to search the forums.
    Telling the GD off now are we?
    Barb: Thomaran
    Hox1: Mweru
    Dt: Haikuju
    Hox2: Shugorann
    Tos: Nephertites
    Sin: Leogetz
    Necro: Viggomortis
    and others...

"The sky is green. It is because I say it is. And because I said it on the internet."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast