Thread: Guard destroyer

Default Guard destroyer

The tool tip for guard destroyer reads

"This stab to the guts seriously weakens an enemy's ability to defend themselves. Anyone striking them in melee does increased damage. Also while this effect is active the guardian's dulling blow, counterweight, counterstrike, deliberate reprisal and overreach combos will be seen as more threatening."

Does anyone have any experience with the hate generation following this combo? More specifically, does anyone know if there is a hate increase when using the polearm counterweight?
    Last edited by yaomo; 16th July 2014 at 07:21.

I take it you dont use a hate-measuring tool? They used to be around, but yeah, I keep forgetting to find one and it's questions like this one you're asking that make me wanna find a working one.

Thumbs down

I am almost certain it (the hate increase) only affects S&S counterweight (just like polearm feats only improve polearm CW). I have no numbers but it feels powerful, which might also be due to the increased damage and GREATLY increased crit chance (when feated & only for S&S combos). S&S tanks should always be using it. Polearm I wouldn't bother unless no one else is applying a physical ruin (but then remember to apply guard buff again)

There is not much synergy between polearm and s&s trees, buffs like guard (+10% armour) get removed when you switch from polearm to s&s for example.
    Last edited by kalston; 16th July 2014 at 07:33.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Thank you both for your swift replies. I guess I will continue not to use GD in my polearm tanking rotation

This is where the Sword and Board shines. Because of the innate threat built into the combo's after this specific combo.

As for the % of hate etc that your asking, you will get nothing but speculation on the specifics. I guess that's kinda where the fun is in the toon.

The answer to the pole arm version of the combo is no. Guard destroyer doesn't buff that specific combo via pole arm with innate threat.
    Guards: Schou/Schoujr, DT: Mycroch, Conq: Kenfast, Barb: Sonofcronus, Sin's: Crazyassin/Daggerdick, Hox: Scorchnburn, Demo: Touchofdeath, Tos: Enslaveu, BS: Meballs

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    I am almost certain it (the hate increase) only affects S&S counterweight (just like polearm feats only improve polearm CW). I have no numbers but it feels powerful, which might also be due to the increased damage and GREATLY increased crit chance (when feated & only for S&S combos). S&S tanks should always be using it. Polearm I wouldn't bother unless no one else is applying a physical ruin (but then remember to apply guard buff again)

There is not much synergy between polearm and s&s trees, buffs like guard (+10% armour) get removed when you switch from polearm to s&s for example.
    Yes.

The hate increase should in theory not affect the polearm combo. It buffs the IDs of the combos not the names so even if a combo have same name they dont have the same combo ID.

Let's think, maybe in tool tip it should be more or less like that:"This stab to the guts seriously weakens an enemy's ability to defend themselves. Anyone striking them in melee does increased damage. Also while this effect is active the guardian's dulling blow, counterweight, counterstrike, deliberate reprisal and overreach combos will have higher chance to CRIT! so it can be seen by monsters as more threatening...." that should do

Threat - mysterious compound that when delivered by normal hit is not the same as when it Crits!

In the case of polearm tanking, I guess you could say that the name of Guard Destroyer is 100% accurate...it does indeed destroy Guard!