Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hidden Lore?

Quote Originally Posted by tapwater View Post
    I totally agree with you here. I love finding hidden things throughout the game world. Especially breaking out of zones.
    Agreed. That sense of 'what's over the next hill' is what interest's me. The sense of adventure which a lot of people dont have any more. Sticking my nose in someplace I probably shouldn't be, because the repercussions are quite possibly a long drop with a short stop.

People freak out having to walk 200 metres to a store now =O Wussies.

Quote Originally Posted by stiiixy View Post
    Agreed. That sense of 'what's over the next hill' is what interest's me. The sense of adventure which a lot of people dont have any more. Sticking my nose in someplace I probably shouldn't be, because the repercussions are quite possibly a long drop with a short stop.

People freak out having to walk 200 metres to a store now =O Wussies.
    Well.. in-game I never walk, I ride my kitty. I think if people would ride kitties to the shop irl, it wouldn't be a problem. Unless they get eaten ofcourse.
    Beep boop.

Quote Originally Posted by Chriscause View Post
    I am sorry Zesmra.. but this is sometimes a big part of Age of Conan for a lot of people. It's very interesting and makes the game unique for explorers.
    (Yes i'm one of the biggest geeks in the universe of geeks)
    I know it would be.. "Waste of time" to add new secrets to AoC, but in fact I think a lot of people would appreciate it. Finding the hidden quests and exploring Dragon's Spine was my favorite questing experience in any game ever, because of the awesome feel of that you were actually in Conan's World.
    (Just an advice for the future content of AoC)
    Actually, this has been going on for a long time on the German forums. It was tolerated (if not encouraged) by former CM Waldgeist, the best CM AoC ever had. Heck, there even used to be a German-speaking dev who added little "gems" to be discovered to off-the-map locations. The only thing that was never disclosed was how to actually reach these places. I hope this is still FC's policy right now - you may encourage people to explore, but not openly reveal holes in the invisible walls.

On a side note, one of the ways in which FC could increase the size of the game world with limited effort is by removing some invisible walls, and "populating" the unused parts of the map. Would be awesome to have a level 85 questing area on the other side of Khemi, for example.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    Actually, this has been going on for a long time on the German forums. It was tolerated (if not encouraged) by former CM Waldgeist, the best CM AoC ever had. Heck, there even used to be a German-speaking dev who added little "gems" to be discovered to off-the-map locations. The only thing that was never disclosed was how to actually reach these places. I hope this is still FC's policy right now - you may encourage people to explore, but not openly reveal holes in the invisible walls.

On a side note, one of the ways in which FC could increase the size of the game world with limited effort is by removing some invisible walls, and "populating" the unused parts of the map. Would be awesome to have a level 85 questing area on the other side of Khemi, for example.
    I don't know if I like the idea of removing invisible walls.. If they did remove some invisible walls, it wouldn't be special to find hidden stuff. The invisible walls is what makes it exciting. Finding "Hidden stuff" that is inside of maps has never been of any interest to me.
    Beep boop.

Quote Originally Posted by Chriscause View Post
    I don't know if I like the idea of removing invisible walls.. If they did remove some invisible walls, it wouldn't be special to find hidden stuff. The invisible walls is what makes it exciting. Finding "Hidden stuff" that is inside of maps has never been of any interest to me.
    True enough. Still, it would be a cost-efficient way to increase the size of the game world. And it would apply not only where there are gaps in the invisible walls (they closed some of the old holes a while ago, as far as I remember).

Of course I would prefer genuinely new playfields, but given the resources on the game, I doubt we will ever see that happen...
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    True enough. Still, it would be a cost-efficient way to increase the size of the game world. And it would apply not only where there are gaps in the invisible walls (they closed some of the old holes a while ago, as far as I remember).

Of course I would prefer genuinely new playfields, but given the resources on the game, I doubt we will ever see that happen...
    A big problem with that is most of the areas outside the invisible walls aren't finished terrain wise. There are bigs gaps in geometry, holes in the map/ground, missing textures, missing collision, etc. So they would still need to go to the work to pretty things up in each area, add more walls, and then add the content. So I imagine they wouldn't be saving a ton of time by filling in those sections. Some time would be saved of course, so it is up to them if they think that time savings is enough to warrant new content in old areas.

That said, I wouldn't mind it if new content crept into old zones in this fashion.

About hidden lore, i've found that some months ago on my last char : Lore items sneakily hidden in the mage personnal quest. Think there's maybe others in personnal quests or it's some sort of relics of early beta concept of lore-books you have to find, like there is with TSW or Swtor :

Lore items ?

They served no purpose as well as the white named Talisman. Can be also items from a deleted quest ?

Some months ago, I was cleaning out my quest log on an alt to make room for more. I noticed a quest in Vile Nativity that I had not looked at that had a bit of lore in the form of a poem as quest text. This was the second stage of the quest chain for the Cape of Atlantis (on the way to the puzzle with the lights and the walking statue). Someone at Funcom had some fun, and changed the wording of Edgar Allan Poe's "Conqueror Worm" to include the Lurker at the Threshold.

Original poem here: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/178359

The Art of Deciphering
    II. The Riddle & the Sentinel

A Sentinel guards the Treasury. This riddle
    may hint at how to defeat it:

Lo! Act I ends in water, Atlantis drowns in tears.
    Enter a theatre of memory,
    See a play of hopes and fears,
    While the Old Ones breathe fitfully
    The music of the Spheres.
    Cue the ghastly interlude!
    As seraphs sob at seagull beaks
    In bloated meat imbued.

Lo! Act II ends in frost, the mimes cry.
    Atlantis lost! Where to go?
    To cold mountains fly.
    A culture dies to savage woe,
    Blind to the stage and vast, formless things
    That shift the scenery to and fro,
    Flapping through space on chiropteran wings,
    Lurking the spaces between and below.

Lo! Act III ends in the holy; the Queen gives hope.
    The mimes shall not be forgot!
    "Build a temple of such scope;
    Impress the gods who bless us not."
    The mimes cheer and toil with no chagrin.
    See the script they cannot,
    With much of madness and more of sin
    And horror the soul of the plot.

Lo! Act IV ends in poison: the Queen's secret.
    The Crawling Chaos intrudes.
    A secret festers if ye keep it,
    Divinely conceived in solitude.
    It writhes! Grows inside with mortal pangs.
    Good intentions become its food.
    "Vile nativity!" the corpse stars sang.
    "All behold the royal brood!"

Lo! Act V ends in the unholy; a door opens.
    It bubbles! Oh, it blasphemes!
    The grave-shroud curtain falls with a roar,
    Over quivering mimes, no time to scream.
    Now, perform this play to the Guardian.
    Five elemental acts, ye drama worker.
    The play is the tragedy, "Atlantean,"
    And its hero, the Threshold Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by Villith View Post
    Some months ago, I was cleaning out my quest log on an alt to make room for more. I noticed a quest in Vile Nativity that I had not looked at that had a bit of lore in the form of a poem as quest text. This was the second stage of the quest chain for the Cape of Atlantis (on the way to the puzzle with the lights and the walking statue). Someone at Funcom had some fun, and changed the wording of Edgar Allan Poe's "Conqueror Worm" to include the Lurker at the Threshold.

Original poem here: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/178359

The Art of Deciphering
    II. The Riddle & the Sentinel

A Sentinel guards the Treasury. This riddle
    may hint at how to defeat it:

Lo! Act I ends in water, Atlantis drowns in tears.
    Enter a theatre of memory,
    See a play of hopes and fears,
    While the Old Ones breathe fitfully
    The music of the Spheres.
    Cue the ghastly interlude!
    As seraphs sob at seagull beaks
    In bloated meat imbued.

Lo! Act II ends in frost, the mimes cry.
    Atlantis lost! Where to go?
    To cold mountains fly.
    A culture dies to savage woe,
    Blind to the stage and vast, formless things
    That shift the scenery to and fro,
    Flapping through space on chiropteran wings,
    Lurking the spaces between and below.

Lo! Act III ends in the holy; the Queen gives hope.
    The mimes shall not be forgot!
    "Build a temple of such scope;
    Impress the gods who bless us not."
    The mimes cheer and toil with no chagrin.
    See the script they cannot,
    With much of madness and more of sin
    And horror the soul of the plot.

Lo! Act IV ends in poison: the Queen's secret.
    The Crawling Chaos intrudes.
    A secret festers if ye keep it,
    Divinely conceived in solitude.
    It writhes! Grows inside with mortal pangs.
    Good intentions become its food.
    "Vile nativity!" the corpse stars sang.
    "All behold the royal brood!"

Lo! Act V ends in the unholy; a door opens.
    It bubbles! Oh, it blasphemes!
    The grave-shroud curtain falls with a roar,
    Over quivering mimes, no time to scream.
    Now, perform this play to the Guardian.
    Five elemental acts, ye drama worker.
    The play is the tragedy, "Atlantean,"
    And its hero, the Threshold Lurker.

Very interesting, ty for showing me this.
    Beep boop.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234