Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: attacking toon at NPC

Default attacking toon at NPC

I know I am having a sook but I can not understand why Funcom allows toons to be attacked whilst engaged with a NPC. I am all for pvp but where is the PVP in that. That is just a dog act. Your locked into a screen with the NPC and you do not even know your being attacked and by the time you disengage the NPC your dead. Funcom should do something about this, maybe something like punish the toon that does this with a buff that makes any guard attack them any where any time for a month. Better still just give the toon talking to the NPC a bubble for a short time so they can do what they got to do, it can wear off after 20 sec or when you disengage the NPC to prevent any exploitation of the bubble.
    PVP is when 2 or more toons are fighting each other, not when one toon fights another toon that can not fight back.

Its come up before, but if they put up a buff while talking to an npc, then anyone can get into combat and get a 'quick escape' by just talking to an npc forever, even if for just 20 seconds it would give time for cooldowns to expire, and the talking player could just spam talk to the npc when the 'cooldown' is over.

Funcom put in the esc button quick exit for npc dialogue. But if you are on a pvp server then they can get you if you talk to an npc.

World pvp has a lot of 'unfair' pvp. Fighting people who are already fighting mobs, groups going after solo questers, attacking people talking to npcs, attacking people on the way to raids (groups going after single kills, I mean). Lvl 80s attacking lower level characters for 'fun'.

But this point was brought up in the past and Funcom's answer was to put in the 'esc' button quick exit from dialogue.

Just that this is very unlikely to happen. It would be harder to "spamtalk" for escaping pvp than jumping instances, swimming or just run away and hide.
    Simply, because you can not talk to an npc while in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by sir-Crunch View Post
    I know I am having a sook but I can not understand why Funcom allows toons to be attacked whilst engaged with a NPC. I am all for pvp but where is the PVP in that. That is just a dog act. Your locked into a screen with the NPC and you do not even know your being attacked and by the time you disengage the NPC your dead. Funcom should do something about this, maybe something like punish the toon that does this with a buff that makes any guard attack them any where any time for a month. Better still just give the toon talking to the NPC a bubble for a short time so they can do what they got to do, it can wear off after 20 sec or when you disengage the NPC to prevent any exploitation of the bubble.
    PVP is when 2 or more toons are fighting each other, not when one toon fights another toon that can not fight back.
    I really hate to laugh, just struck me as funny that this stuff still goes on, but the mindset on a PVP server is, "if its red, its dead". You have no idea what it used to be like, level 80's farming your level 20 because kill to death was visible stat, so had to be faked by farming baby toons. Gangs of folks stalking you even following you from zone to zone if they hated your guild or you were worth more points or whatever other reason they could think of. Folks attacking you while your fighting mobs. But it was not all bad on PVP server, taking your entire raid to BRC could sometimes take hours just fighting your way there. I don't think this game will ever get the population back on the PVP servers to equal the epic cheap shots that folks did. I agree that its annoying but trust me, its minor compared to what used to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarspice View Post
    I really hate to laugh, just struck me as funny that this stuff still goes on, but the mindset on a PVP server is, "if its red, its dead". You have no idea what it used to be like, level 80's farming your level 20 because kill to death was visible stat, so had to be faked by farming baby toons. Gangs of folks stalking you even following you from zone to zone if they hated your guild or you were worth more points or whatever other reason they could think of. Folks attacking you while your fighting mobs. But it was not all bad on PVP server, taking your entire raid to BRC could sometimes take hours just fighting your way there. I don't think this game will ever get the population back on the PVP servers to equal the epic cheap shots that folks did. I agree that its annoying but trust me, its minor compared to what used to happen.
    Those were the days of high advanture!

On PvP-Rp server of Aquilonia we have had Cap. Morgan Society that used to hang out in Noble District. They turned ganking into an art.
    Basic idea was to RP asking your for money and killing you if you refused. The noobies cried day and night about this in global.

http://aochideout.blogspot.com/2009/...2-captain.html
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    Those were the days of high advanture!

On PvP-Rp server of Aquilonia we have had Cap. Morgan Society that used to hang out in Noble District. They turned ganking into an art.
    Basic idea was to RP asking your for money and killing you if you refused. The noobies cried day and night about this in global.

http://aochideout.blogspot.com/2009/...2-captain.html
    I read the thread you attached, that is awesome! lol

Quote Originally Posted by sir-Crunch View Post
    smells like tears

seriously man, if you are crying about this than even if they got some crazy debuff they would still be able to kill you with ease again.

When you go to get money out of the bank does a big bubble come around you to protect you? or can some big fat black dude come up behind you and belt you in the head with a bat and steal your moneys?
    Last edited by GeldourConq; 3rd July 2014 at 06:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    Just that this is very unlikely to happen. It would be harder to "spamtalk" for escaping pvp than jumping instances, swimming or just run away and hide.
    Simply, because you can not talk to an npc while in combat.
    With the new out of combat mechanics linked to players and not to groupe in addition of sprint revamp that's actually rather likely in open-world.

Personnaly the solution i enjoy the most is maybe not that ideal but it works: Quest with friends. Join a guild. I remember the days Slith talks about, same story on Stygia the french RP-PvP serer. When questing newbies got ganked the PvPers in your guild would all rush to Noble district and kick some gankers ass allowing the newbies to quest in peace if they weren't into PvP while gankers where distracted, tracked down and harassed by your guildies.

Open-World PvP is not a serie of Gladiator fights, or jousting. It's an on going war-zone where everyone can be a threat and every weakness exploited. But i agree, since RP servers disappeared, it does often lack style.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Personally i am even fine with an open ruleset. But the current one is not just open, it encourages abusive behaviour, since different situations and challenges are treated equally (or better, see guard abuse) regarding the outcome (e.g. to get xp and kills it does not matter if you are leader of a zerg, you hit target in duel, ambush, afk, busy or in self-defense). A very powerfull 80 in full t4 gear with pvp0 gives less xp and same amount of kills than a naked 80 who has pvp10. A maxxed lvl59 is far more dangerous than a levelling lvl70 in green gear, too...but could give you criminal and murder points (and no kill), if you are around lvl70.

Ideally there would be different "rewards" for pvp, according to situation...like a witness, criminal and renown system and a system that would take real power difference into account and would not just be based on kills (e.g. a "driven away" or "not killed in ambush" could count as victory too).

Even with the bank withdrawal analogy, there would be a chance for witnesses, persecution and teaming up for revenge. All this is not valid atm in AoC. Apart from that, there is a playability reason you have safe zones in all games, even aoc. By that "harsh world" logic, you would have to have open pvp around traders, in the hubs and in instanced pve too.

And the new group mechanics can be a problem, if you want to leech quest kills...but they are solved easily. Just don't give that buff in the event zone. If they can disable guards, they can disable other measures too.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 3rd July 2014 at 10:36.

Surely they could implement a you are in combat can't do that when trying to escape pvp by speaking to an npc if the bubble idea was implemented.
    Blynd - Official AOC Slacker since April 2008
    Blindrana - Failing to heal since 2008
    Rybekka - failing to tank since forever

can be found in Auraxis killing smurfs and baboons.

Technology is might

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast