Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss! Game Director Letter - June 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Tony82 View Post
    I wrote "a speficical damage who happen ONLY in T5", a new damage type, i dont know, something like "sand of ancients damage" who pop in boss fight and all player get damaged on flat % of toon hp.
    This.

An easy and effective way to introduce raid progression is to introduce a.) a new kind of damage/resistance and b.) equipment to counter that.

Example:
    - The Demons of Entropy deal disintegration damage, turning their victims into dust with each hit (+50% damage of "entropy damage") to each melee/magic hit).
    - Only armor hardened with diamonds can counter this damage (= new resistance which only works against entropy damage).
    - Weapons with diamond edges cut cleanly through their forms (+10% damage for each weapon and armor with diamonds against Demons of Entropy).

Critigation was a bit like that, but also worked in pvp, which makes balancing more difficult and was (and still is) really hard to measure/balance in the first place.
    Make Hyboria raid again!

Khaletoheps AoC-Youtube-Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Khaletohep

Guides zu Klassen & allen HM-Solo-Inis:
    http://www.nachtwind-gilde.com/guide...-age-of-conan/

I don't think introducing a new type of magic damage would be easy. They should ad a new stat at the chars and change the damage equations. Could be worst than energy incident.

But if it's easy I like the idea. The important thing is that if you go with k6 gear to T5 you have to be sodomized.
    -> DT:Stiraqvcrn; Necro:Munyidora; ToS:Stiraqvaa; Guard:Stirameco; BS: Stiraqcanya, ...

If you see one Stira wipeing a group or a raid Its me

Quote Originally Posted by xiulo88 View Post
    You've answered yourself. With K6/T3 gear you need 24 people who pay attention an do their job so It's not easy. But with over-geared 10 people you could carry the 14 inexpert people like is happening right now in T2.
    No, my answer points out how silly it is for anyone to worry that T5 raid gear will make T2 obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillee View Post
    No, my answer points out how silly it is for anyone to worry that T5 raid gear will make T2 obsolete.
    Lol so wtf did you quote me?I've never said that
    -> DT:Stiraqvcrn; Necro:Munyidora; ToS:Stiraqvaa; Guard:Stirameco; BS: Stiraqcanya, ...

If you see one Stira wipeing a group or a raid Its me

Quote Originally Posted by TeamVernia View Post
    T1 memory cloud sounds fun. I kind of want to come back now.
    so.. basically funcom either ran out of ideas or the one person they have working for AoC doesnt play the game

Quote Originally Posted by Khaletohep View Post
    An easy and effective way to introduce raid progression is to introduce a.) a new kind of damage/resistance and b.) equipment to counter that.
    And where do you get items with this start to even start doing T5? Only in T5? Then it cannot be introduced before first half of tier before people had good chance to gather some new equipment. What would happen if eq. old demo Keeper would be 1st T3 boss before players had chance to get proper tank gear with high armor and prot all together? It would be massacre.

Beside that it would artificially slower progression and interfere with race to get first kills. We all know how random drop in AoC can be. It's more that very possible that some guild won't get eq. soldier drop and without it they won't be possible to progress or their progression will be significantly slowered. Number of guilds strong enough and willing to race for 1st kill is low already and there is no reason to make it even lower with freaking random drop chances and new stat-blocker.

Also with new damage type there are only 2 ways how it can be introduced:
    1) if new kind of damage will be high it will punish players who didn't get new gear yet nad
    1a) if new gear will lower that damage a lot encouter mechanics that uses new damage type will become obsolete
    1b) new gear won't have impact on that damage - gear won't matter so new stat will be obsolete from the start
    2) new damage type will be marginal in first place so gear won't matter at all

And finally new damage type without other places where it can be used with benefits removes one - main - reason to farm for that gear in 1st place. And from that we have straight way into popularity deep hole like Lurker or Erlik. And we know how often FC adds new content so, we would need to wait another 3 years to see benefits from T5 gear.
    Last edited by bogus; 2nd July 2014 at 19:29.
    Hayde, dead Dark Templar of Xotli
    and her long forgotten brotherhood: Berbelek Bookah Esthle Esthlos Illea Jamei Margrid Sanessa Shahai Sharila Vassone Vizu Xami

Quote Originally Posted by Khaletohep View Post
    This.

Example:
    - The Demons of Entropy deal disintegration damage, turning their victims into dust with each hit (+50% damage of "entropy damage") to each melee/magic hit).
    - Only armor hardened with diamonds can counter this damage (= new resistance which only works against entropy damage).
    - Weapons with diamond edges cut cleanly through their forms (+10% damage for each weapon and armor with diamonds against Demons of Entropy).

Critigation was a bit like that, but also worked in pvp, which makes balancing more difficult and was (and still is) really hard to measure/balance in the first place.
    Should just re-introduce the heroic stat system that was in there at launch. Wont make gear stronker outside of the raids that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Fass View Post
    Should just re-introduce the heroic stat system that was in there at launch. Wont make gear stronker outside of the raids that way.
    M8 but it is still there no one ever dropped it, it is just hidden like rest of the stats which were at the start, anyone remember +0,05% piercing, crushing, slashing invul.? it is still there and has been used just hidden under armor name so newbs can finally get their heads around stats as its clearer to read that way...

Some sort of entirely new pve mechanic like a raid only damage/protection type or some such will work in providing "progression" while not screwing over pvp OR old content. We even have fluffy justification for weird **** like lovecraftian damage which can only be reduced with noneuclidian protection (or whatevs) with Lurker, Messenger, Entity, et al running around.

Problem is, that's just a lame gimmick, on par with "archetype perks". They could also implement the newfangled shield thingy they just made for Secret World. Which would be at least more than just dumb gimmick but it's likely to make the game needlessly complicated. Anything even more involved than adapting an already complete TSW subsystem to AoC is %99 likely to not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by cins View Post
    Some sort of entirely new pve mechanic like a raid only damage/protection type or some such will work in providing "progression" while not screwing over pvp OR old content.
    Just like critigation did? I don't know anyone who having item without critigation farmed any boss to swap it with other item that have just critigation added.
    Hayde, dead Dark Templar of Xotli
    and her long forgotten brotherhood: Berbelek Bookah Esthle Esthlos Illea Jamei Margrid Sanessa Shahai Sharila Vassone Vizu Xami

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast