Thread: Starting a Guard. Leveling-80+

Exclamation Funcom remove please.

Remove this please. accidentally put it on the forums
    Last edited by raceu8; 21st June 2014 at 22:26.

Quote Originally Posted by raceu8 View Post
    1. Leveling up to 80.
    2. Starting to tank.
    3. Gear
    4. AA

1. Leveling up.

I'm just here to help out the new guards.

To begin....When you are leveling if you don't want to go through the levels like a sloth you have to use a Polearm.

I haven't messed much with the leveling spec but, just make it somewhere along the lines of all out dps

Up to 74:
    11461a8461e6c61f3461ece04e240572005bd0057e805c3405 8ac05976059d805c9405cfc0614805aa4061ac0639c05e88

Start in Tempest until about level 16 or 17.

After that go up all the way up to 5th rank of sustained rage then finish out tempest.

Guarded frenzy will be more for when you are lower 70s in Kheshatta.

Other than that don't have much to say about leveling. Use XP pots if you have them
    __________________________________________________ _________________

2. The start of be expected to tank.

Gear wise once you hit 80 go farm the World Boss.

Once you get full T1 and T2 mix you can really start tanking.

That gear will give you enough hate.

This is a great spec to start out with for armor fights:

11404e2404e88054c7053360539a04fb2054600507804f4f05 208055f4051a50559005658064c8052700620c052d061a8462 0c261cd861c7661ae861f346205c61f94

This is the same exact spec just more into protection in general:

11404e2404e88054c7053360539a04fb2054600507804f4f05 208055f4051a50559005658064c8052700620c052d061a8461 b4c620c261cd861c7661f346205c61f94

Rotation

Shield Slam (Aggro grabber)
    Guard Destroyer III rank(3)
    Counter Strike IV rank (4)
    Bloody Vengeance (Filler)
    Shield Slam (aggro grabber)
    Titanic Smash (Nice dps)
    Overreach VI rank(6)

Repeat as well as you can.

Throw in strike and guard when you need the little more damage deflection.

The Guard Destroyer so early because crit hit make more aggro than regular hits by far.

3. Gear

As i said earlier start with world boss gear.

If your final goal is to do T4 then with your world boss gear start Off-Tanking. Once you start getting a nice amount of rare trophies.

Now the gear that i went for that was the run of the mill gear and fairly simple to get just have to run some dungeons and get about 500 rares give or take some.

http://aoc.is-better-than.tv/armory....GO8QdGfwFGIjHX

That's a link to the gear set that would be the most generic and one of the most simple full Khitai purple set in my opinion.

When you run T4, IF you do get into it you should have the super geared tanks to deal with the protection fights.

4. AA

The one's you NEED.

Resolve-removes most debuffs

Forced Engage-Name says it all.

The one's that is almost needed

Stall the Avance-Gives 50% damage reduction for 3 hits

Elusive nature-Increases the chance you will critigate a crit hit.

Chromatic Warding-Increases protection

NOT FINISHED YET..FINISHING TONIGHT
    Ummm im not sure i understand this. Are you saying dont expect to tank to lvl 80 ? If so this is such a bad piece of advice. Anyone who follows this will just be another bad guard.

My advice. Make 2 specs. (I have 5 specs on mine.) A s&b and a polearm. Use the polearm for solo leveling. Whenever possible find a partner to level with and play S&B. Let your partner kill stuff while you practice keeping him or her alive by having agro on you. This way as you get more skills you will know how to use them before your 80 and you wont be another totally useless guard.

Other things i see wrong and im not gonna look at specs...
    You dont need AA force engage. Most ppl dont know how to use it anyhow.
    Chromatic warding is pretty useful so is StA. Elusive nature helps if your planning on playing in the khitai expansion.

As for the rotation never use bloody vengence. You get more dps from a constant full stack then using it up for 1 stupid combo.
    Strike and guard? Ok for old world stuff... bout it.
    Actually its a bad rotation imo. Only right thing is the 1st to combos.

However i spose its a start for new guards.
    Missing alot of better advice though imo.

Counter strike? Any guards that still use that?

Dont spend a feat point in brutal blows "because crit hit make more aggro than regular hits by far" ?

My advice is still the same as i gave 3 years ago:
    http://youtu.be/9Y1BlTpQtm0 Guardian 101 that gives you the tools to continue improving your play.
    I am Stian ingame...

Gear wise once you hit 80 go farm the World Boss.

Once you get full T1 and T2 mix you can really start tanking.
    Fail, and incorrect.

Yes WB can provide you gear easily BUT YOU DONT NEED T1 and T2 to start tanking on a guard, even full Bluesteel set works good enough to go and start doing proper content like old world level 80 instances and T1/T2 raids, forget about World Boss madness...

Quote Originally Posted by Civilix View Post
    Dont spend a feat point in brutal blows "because crit hit make more aggro than regular hits by far" ?
    crits do afect your agro,and brutal blows also afects counterweight.

i rarely use counterstike mostly use it on dungeons if i slot champion spirit, other then that only exclusively use it if i have agro and there are no shields up and shield slam is on cooldown or titanic smash, in t4 i mostly use counterweight+master at arms.
    i still use stall the advance in some fight i need more survivability or inicial brust agro.
    namely:
    t4:
    basilisk
    entity projections
    strom
    lu-zhi

t3:
    demo keeper boss
    louhi( to be honest last i did it like 3 days ago used counterweight and didnt feel any survivability or agro loss)

dungeons:
    vile nativity, Overseer Olik
    scorpion cave, constantius
    tian-an, all of it
    caravans, Medjian, Sethick, demigod.
    jade dugout hm
    kang pagoda if im on the 3 mobs, of on boss counterweight.

cant remember more atm.

reguarding combo rotation its pretty much like stian shows in video, those are the main combos to use, but and its a big one.
    dulling blow is only worth using when the right side is totaly unshielded, its better to use both highest ranks of overreach when using stall the advance perk, else no need to use overreach at all counterweight as realy short cooldown and should be used all the time+followed by disable wich is main thing about this perk, it allows you to use disable after each counterweight.

what you need to understand is you need to continuously adapt your combos to side wich is unshielded for optimal agro.

but there is indeed a priority to always use guard destroyer+shield slam reguardless of shields.

there is a bit of management needed to play guard nothing overwhelming but you can only do it eficiently if you have all your main abilities keybinded else if you have to click each icon in a sequance with your mouse it simply isnt going to be as fluid as with key binds where you can activate ultiple things like doing a music chord on a guitar or piano

for example i rotate activating:
    powerhouse+call to arms(sometimes for inicial burst i also activate battle cry
    wich i do as im doing finisher animation of any combo by pressing alt+1+2+3 while animation is happening so at end anymation i can slide in a cry of havoc+irritate wich on my keybinds is r+f so its realy fluid and that way i just did massive burst agro to either grab agro off someone without forced engage or goad or simply have nice inicitial agro without need of using stall the advance.

when those are on cooldown i use with a few seconds after the efect of previous buffs wore off and i do it similarly at animation of combo and my key binds for those are alt+q+e
    vulcanic rage+hatefull strikes
    so similar to before just when animation is finishing i do irritate+cry of havoc and do another burst hate.

for optimal burst hate do any of these 2 sequences when deploying shield slam.

one thing im totaly against using at all in pve is bloody vengeance, it consumes your vengeance stak to use it so your gimping your dps by using it, and since its nerf its only usefull in pvp mostly in poearm build for burst.

i use these 2 builds:
    http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v12_114...64c80620c0571c

http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v12_114...64c80620c052d0

this second protection build is only worth using when you have full t3 protection gear to take advantage of dimishing returns and have the extra survival from juggernaut+strike and guard wich are only relevant once you pass the threshold protection via gear, else the efects are too low to matter and your better off getting improved defensive stance over juggernat+strike and guard.
    Last edited by -tomhet-; 21st June 2014 at 16:43.
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

Remove this please. accidentally put it on the forums
    Where else were you supposed to put it?

Necro, schmecro...