Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dt tanking

Default dt tanking

hello.
    I am trying to gear up my dark templar for being able to maintank hardmode and unchained dungeons.
    Helmet, legs , chestguard and shield are currently t2 the minor parts are t1 . in addition i have the t2 quest sword "gargoyle masters demise" and protection accessouires.
    as a build i use sidar's beginner tank build (http://goo.gl/eVwzD) with a little modification.

Tanking the "vortex of storm" works fine but in the "reliquary" i have a very hard time , taking too much damage and not being able to hold the aggro.

Chromatic warding is maxed out and the other protection perks ar all at least at lvl4 (but the electric protection) furthermore i have Forced Engaged and Irrigate is rank3 in the AAs
    Depending on what i have currently equipped i can have a protection of at least 45% (because electric is the lowest , for the other spells i have a mitigation of ~48%) but just 5,7% hate increase , which is rather low . OR i take some hate increase gear and boost the hate rating to 7.3% but lose about 4% magic damage mitigation.

And here is my question , what is better to generate hate ? Should i as a DT focus on hate increase and get the LL full plate armor which increases the hate rating or is it better if i get the tamarin tigers gear and combine it with protection gear from last legion ?
    So dps against hate rating
    Last edited by Daraios; 15th June 2014 at 13:07.
    Typing on mobile
    Excuse mspellings and strange auto erections
    --------------------------------------------------
    (current) Mains: Slackjoint (tos), Daraiios(sin) , Quorrin (DT)

Yes the new store still blows

Hi,

First of all, you should put 5 points in Pact of Malacador. That might help with the aggro a bit.

A Dt needs crit-rating. That helps trigger Voyd of Madness. Voyd of Madness is THE aa perk a dt needs. If your crit chance is around 18% (better higher of course), aggro shouldn't be much of an issue anymore.

I recommend legion head and pants. Taking the tiger epic chest piece is also a good idea in my opinion. Also I would try to get my hands on the Strength/combat rating cloak from vile nativity.

Magic damage mitigation is only needed in a few encounters (never feat chromatic ward when it isn't absolutely necessary). 48% is enough, in my experience.

I hope that helps a bit.

Cheers

Focus on dps for hate. you need vom and the best crit rating you can get. Flame is mostly physical damage so dont gimp yourself with loads of protection. LL prot gear is most useful on the KK rare boss.

for gear a mix is best. I like the wolf set for the armour and hp but mix in other gear from LL and Tigers. Tiger hands for crit, LL easter sun helm and LL legs of the battlements from KK.

I would recommend this build. works for me http://goo.gl/Blx5PF
    Last edited by Crumb; 15th June 2014 at 13:41.

Most DT's in K6 runs a variation of the build Crumb posted. The build I use is this http://goo.gl/NB7HjS for physicals, and I add wisdom gear until I got around 54-55% mitigation. For tanking Pagoda adds and Commander Yeng-Wang-Yeh in Ai District, I use my Emperor build, which looks like this http://goo.gl/NOHOq2 .

Remember to keep your buffs up all along. Go with +hate on helm, pants, shoulders and wrists, crit rating on big pieces, hands and rings. Keep your hit rating above 12,5%. Keep Unhallowed Blight and Dread Shadow on cooldown, they make your unholy stuff hit much harder when the debuffs (-10% and -15%) are up on the mob. I actually use the Dread Shadow just to put the debuff on several occations, even though I dont *need* him to take agro for me.

If you still struggle with agro, use this build http://goo.gl/9Cltcs
    and if you have a mouse or keyboard with macro keys, bind Ritualistic Bloodshed and Shadow Hex to repeat every 10,2 seconds. You will have agro with that build, unless you are severely undergeared.

Thanks for the responses . yeah i will go for dps and crit rating now and try a different build. but it will be a long way to get all the gear on fury :S
    Typing on mobile
    Excuse mspellings and strange auto erections
    --------------------------------------------------
    (current) Mains: Slackjoint (tos), Daraiios(sin) , Quorrin (DT)

Yes the new store still blows

I don't know what's the K6 situation on Fury but there must be grindmill runs going?

Do Isle of Iron Statues, Dead Mans Hand, The Breach, Forgotten City and if you can take the hassle, Refuge of the Apostate. Every day. This makes you able to buy the hate pants, Blossoming Death, rings, necklace, in a relatively short time even if you can't get much HM groups. Always remember to pick up quests for HM's since you get Insignias and MoA's for completing them.

I can figure there is a bigger problem getting factions levelled up on Fury due to ganking, so spend Veteran Points on Marks of Acclaim and Imperial Insignias.

I'd aim for this kit as first tier of a "geared" DT.

Helm: The full plate one from Ardashir Fort
    Cape: Both Strength, Hate and Wisdom cape from Vile Nativity.
    Necklace: Wisdom necklace from Wolves of the Steppes.
    Wrists: Last Legion hate wrists.
    Shoulders: Last Legion hate shoulders (These drop from Cavern of Malice)
    Rings: Save rares and buy two Tricksters Charm from Shadows of Jade.
    Belt: Wolves belt drops in Reliquary of Flame. Easy to get...
    Hands: T3 or Barb light armour Tiger hands from Cavern of Malice.
    Feet: Wolves full plate boots.
    Weaponry: Most blue drops from Enigmata or Ardashir Fort will suffice for starters, aim for Seal of Privilege, Blossoming Death and Relic of the Oyster Mucus once you get a basic level of gear.

For protection duties, it is so much easier if you can obtain quests for T3 and make a run through to get the ring, neck and thoth amon cloak. Thats more than 220+220+255 = 695 protection on three items... Remember to pick the wisdom + protection ring, as there are extremely few occations where you need the strength in a protection fight.

Combo books: Try to get Unhallowed Blight and A Soul for Our Feast upgrades first, that's the ones who improves most. Aura of Dread Fury upgrade is definitely not worth 200 Rares, and I guess Mines of Chosain runs are rarer on Fury.

So all in all, level up factions:

- Wolves of the Steppes (Boots, necklace)
    - Shadows of Jade (rings)
    - Yellow Priests of Yun (for Blossoming Death, extremely underrated DT weapon!)
    - Last Legion (wrists and hate panties)
    Last edited by Shax84; 16th June 2014 at 06:46.

Shax missed chest piece in his list and that one should be the Tiger's one
    Drunk Templar Cimmerian

Head: "Helm of the Crimson Fort" (Ardashir Fort)

Chest: "Tiger's Chestguard of the Savage Sun" (Tigers faction - 196 rares,16g)

Hands: "Tiger's Gauntlets of the Roaring Jungle" (Pillar of Heaven drop) or better "Gauntlets of the Dark Messenger" (drops in Coils of Ubah Kan)

Boots: "Wolf's Boots of the Khan" (Wolves faction - 980 MoA,12g)

Wrist: "General's Vambraces of Dynastic Rule" (LL faction - 980 MoA,12g)

Shoulder: "General's Armguards of the Battlements"(drops in malice)

Belt: "Wolf's Belt of the Grasslands" (drops in flame) or better "Belt of the Dark Messenger" (you can buy it from the Collector in Dragon Spine for 196 rares and 10g)

Legs: "General's Legguards of the Battlements" (drops from Yag or Ai District) or for more dps "Breeches of the Dark Messenger" (drops in coils)

Weapons: "Blossoming Death" (Yun faction - 735 MoA,147 rares,12g) & "Quill of Ibis" as a prot sword!...or you can go with dps gems with it...but you will find out that is a waste when you get t4 sword to have it as dps sword....unless you want it for pvp,personally you can tank well with yun blunt and Ibis,the only thing here is ending up with 2 swords of the same when you get t4 sword or pvp weapons,so you will endup with a useless quill of ibis that cost u tons of stuff ....your choice

Shields: "Shield of the Kozak Slayer"(drops in Ardashir Fort) or "Bloodbane" (drops from "Abyssal Convoker" in AoK unchained),for fun you can also get "The End of Kings" shield from Shadows of Jade faction,but not really a must hehe

Talis: "Seal of Privilege" (SC faction - 735 MoA,147 rares,12g)
    (there is some nice blue talis,like Ziggurat one that drops from rare narvi...or the blue tali that drops from yag,etc...)

Important notes:

You need at least 15% crit chance to do decent tanking with dt.But more crit the better just don't go crazy about it to the point you get 2 shoted by any boss or mob.If you know what i mean...i hope hehe =)

Also stacking prot on dt is not that important,for example...you can tank adds in pagoda HM with 30% prot,cause i did it easily,imba dt tools <3 POWAHH! hehe

For prot gear,get BD gear with a mix of LL prot stuff and t3 crafted shields(if you can afford,though AoK Unch. Shield is good enough to cover that since it has immunity,etc...).As long you have enough crit chance and all that to keep aggro is fine,so take that in mind.
    Plus dt has tons of tools,so crit crit crit crit crit crit crit crit,tap tap tap tap tap tap,bla bla bla...you won't die,unless you don't have any healers lol
    Last edited by Tiberivs; 16th June 2014 at 11:54.

Yep, those are good alternatives too, Tiberivs. But I am not quite sure how easy it is to get the stuff from Pillars or Coils, the two are not often pugged on Crom either.

As you say, 15% is nice crit rating, but better to have close to 18%, and do not underestimate the power of Hit rating. 12,5% is a minimum unless you want a lot of combos evaded. Always have Decisive and Pressing Strikes equipped on perk bar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast