Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel i5 CPU questions

Default Intel i5 CPU questions

I have begun building a new gaming pc and could use a little, or a lot, of help.

I think the Intel Core i5 is what I will go with but I'm seeing lot's of versions of the i5 like i5-4670-K,4570,4430,4590, etc etc.
    Question 1: What do those numbers mean and what would be a good one to go with for hardcore demanding games?

Question 2: LGA 1150 and 1155 has to do with socket size? It seems the 1155 is better but I'm not sure why. At least that's what I've been able to gather from reviews I've read so far.

Question 3: Since I am a pc dummy, is there anything else I need to know about the cpu I choose that I am not asking about here?

I have no experience with pc's so any feedback and comments are appreciated. Price isn't a big issue nor will the size of the motherboard be an issue.

Thanks in advance for any help -

Pretty easy when it comes to this, bigger is better. Highest number gives you most power.

And keeping with the theme of higher is better, when pirce is not a big issue, you go for a i7 cpu.
    I am Stian ingame...

http://www.megabuy.com.au/intel-i5-4...0-p470004.html

i ordered this one a few days ago

hoping it does me good i think it will

Quote Originally Posted by Civilix View Post
    Pretty easy when it comes to this, bigger is better. Highest number gives you most power.

And keeping with the theme of higher is better, when pirce is not a big issue, you go for a i7 cpu.
    So:

about the CPU: the highest the number, the better the CPU is a good thumb rule.

about the CPU: the K after the number means that the CPU is unlocked, means more hacker friendly for obtaining higher performances. useless if the chipset doesnt support the CPU unlock. Ths S after the number means that the CPU is configured for a better performance/watt ration. ie. less heath for same frame per second. if you are going for a very little case, could be better.

about the socket: the latest intel socket IS THE 1150. the 1155 is older. the 1150 support latest CPU, the 1155 not.

AoC wise:
    AoC is not so multicore-multiprocessor aware. But your OS (windows 7 or 8) is. So the better CPU architecture, the better the OS will support it, the better it will run and the other process inside, like the browsers, steam, and so on.
    So, if you have to play only at AOC, even a 40€ CPU and 4GB could be enough for be playable.
    If you want a better experience, 4 cores and hyperthreading is much better, but you need at least 8GB for accomodating more processes. So a i5-4570 (4 core, 36x locked multiplier, HTT, 190€ here in Italy) will rock your world.
    Of course more money, more CPU, better theoric experience.
    But, IMHO, more money will better spent on a better GPU/monitor/SSD setup
    Last edited by soloper; 1st June 2014 at 15:13.

For AoC, even new i3 Cpu is enough and will give good results. For the graphix, Im using old GTX660 and its enough.

If money isnt an issue, new i5, 8-16GB RAM and let say GTX770? Ah, and SSD is must for the system and programs/game.

Age of Conan depends heavily on disk accesses.Installing it on a SSD gives a huge boost in loading times and fps (high-res textures instant loading).
    Quote Originally Posted by Angellis
    Off-topic: I would pay a lifetime sub if FC changed the name of Strike to Guard to the "Oh sh*t" combo! The tooltip could read: "The guardian realises they are now in over their head, and, having soiled themselves, are less likely to receive attention from their target."

Quote Originally Posted by -Hyen- View Post
    For AoC, even new i3 Cpu is enough and will give good results. For the graphix, Im using old GTX660 and its enough.

If money isnt an issue, new i5, 8-16GB RAM and let say GTX770? Ah, and SSD is must for the system and programs/game.
    whats a good ssd ( for 100-150 ) and some good ram ( for around 100 ) have 250 left after gettin gthe cpu for 250

http://www.megabuy.com.au/cpus-c1160_1172.html

this is the place im buyinf from so if you can find the items on here for me it would be awesome

Thank you all for the responses. Very helpful.

I thought about the i7-4770K - BX80646I74770K, but I can't justify the extra "bang" the cpu offers versus the "buck". And that's because I'm just an average pc user that plays video games, so I'm not sure I really need the extra "bang".

SO, unless someone tells me I'm making a bad decision, I will be going with the i5-4670K - BX80646I54670K.

It will be a few weeks before I order the cpu, so any more feedback/suggestions are welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by kinlock View Post
    Thank you all for the responses. Very helpful.

I thought about the i7-4770K - BX80646I74770K, but I can't justify the extra "bang" the cpu offers versus the "buck". And that's because I'm just an average pc user that plays video games, so I'm not sure I really need the extra "bang".

SO, unless someone tells me I'm making a bad decision, I will be going with the i5-4670K - BX80646I54670K.

It will be a few weeks before I order the cpu, so any more feedback/suggestions are welcomed.
    Honestly, you would see a difference as long as you have an SSD. All of that hardware would bottleneck if you have a *primitive* HD.

About the processor, you would notice a difference in programs that take advantage of the extra threads per core. And of course, the actual speed because its unlocked and if you turned it up a bit. But this is something better left to people who know what they are doing. If you had other games like BF4 or something new, i7 would def be better.

Summary: To run AOC perfectly with no lag whatsover with all particles.
    (Obviously considering your connection is good and its not a siege)

i7 or high end i5
    16 gb ram
    top notch video card or near top
    SSD
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

A HDD will only bottleneck his loading times, not his fps. And the CPU/RAM actually matter for loading times too so he will still see improvements there.

I have played sieges and raids and everything on a HDD with maxed settings for years, simply by overclocking my i5 CPU to 4+ Ghz (and my e8400 before that, game was less demanding back then though). And I've had a SSD for a while too, I know exactly what it does. As long as you don't ask your HDD to do other things while you're playing it will run fine. HDDs just suck at multi tasking.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast