Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help me upgrade computer

Default help me upgrade computer

i need some help deciding what i need to upgrade.

getting sick of low fps all the time

( i get 30-60 fps when no ones around, 10-20 when people around in the world pvp)

heres what i am dealing with.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf18698d3.png

Im thinking i need a new cpu and probably more ram or ssd

advice?

I had exacly same issue, but I have decided to buy new computer instead http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=188435

Now I dont drop below 40 fps even in zerg fights with all things maxed out.

I have tried to upgrade my old computer with new gfx card and it did next to nothing.

Cpu + ram is where it's at.
    Retired

• Double your amount of memory to 8GB RAM and then disable Windows Virtual Memory swapping to harddrive.
    • Then get the SSD drive, it makes a huge difference as textures of everyone as well as particle effects are loaded on the fly.
    • The shared memory of your Graphics Card makes me think that you'll need a Card with 1-2GB of dedicated GDDR5 memory.

Wether or not that calls for a new computer rather than upgrading your current one I cannot say. But your computer will run a LOT better with the above 3 upgrades.

As a side note, disable error logging to AgeofConan.txt. It is rarely of use to anyone and it lowers your clients performance since errors and warnings are written constantly, mostly as a result of trying to read missing or corrupt textures, animations and particle effects from the ressource database. And we all know that traditional harddisks are notorious bad at doing two things at the same time.

should i be getting a new cpu? like an i5 or somthing?

i was looking at this one ( remember i have $500 to spend on upgrades total)

http://www.megabuy.com.au/intel-i5-4...0-p470004.html
    Last edited by GeldourConq; 25th May 2014 at 08:56.

I bought Intel Xeon 1230 v3 (4 core with HT) coz it has same power like I7 4770 but the price of a I5.
    Bendowill (Ranger) / Liangxiao (BS)
    Gjalskia (DT) / Beacor (BS, Saga)

Double your amount of memory to 8GB RAM. This is the first thing you should try if you're not going to buy a new computer.
    I had 4GB and upgraded to 8GB. Have to say it helped a lot and cost almost nothing. I have i5-460M , ATI HD5870 1GB.

You will get a huge boost upgrading your CPU.

I had a GTX 770 4gb and upgraded my CPU from a AMD 955 to a Intel 4770k and it doubled my fps while keeping the same GPU.

Also playing at a lower resolution requires more CPU power than GPU so you should notice an even bigger increase I would say.

Everything in your setup is pretty dated so best bet would just be building a new rig.

If you do not have the budget then I would at least get a new Motherboard and CPU and 8gb of RAM.

Oh and BTW you are a noob G
    Dorrak / 80 Barb - PvP 8
    Tartug / 80 DT - PvP 8

Upgrading your CPU alone would change your life. It's an old generation quad core, really really bad for AoC. Look into getting a modern CPU and 6-8Gb of ram and you'll see massive improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifie View Post
    [list][*]disable Windows Virtual Memory swapping to harddrive.
    There is really no reason to do that, ever - it will only do harm (albeit you may not notice depending on what you do). Unless you're dealing with some really badly coded application - even AoC is not that bad. It won't use the pagefile if you have more than 4GB (and an OS that's not overloaded with memory hungry applications, of course), and with 4GB it would only start using it over very long playing sessions with maxed graphics.

What you can (and should) do is limit its initial size to 512MB or 1GB to avoid wasting disk space, especially on a SSD.
    Last edited by kalston; 25th May 2014 at 21:41.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

lulz at the folders on your desktop screenshot

But yes, cpu upgrade will do wonders, and SSD makes an amazing difference.
    Yangrin | Yangbear | Krem | Marsheesh | Oforawesome | Pappalegba | Yangryn
    -------------------
    Age of Conan Wiki | Still waiting for Half Life 3 - FU Gabe Newell! / May 2014 Update! It's apparently been "worked on"!!!!! #Sarcasm | PvP approach: The 'Cup of Tea' stratagem. That upon finding myself in a PvP zone & being attacked, I get up, walk away from the keyboard and go and make a cup of tea.

will be taking a break for a few days while building this new computer, ended up going with an amd setup with advice from the dude at the computer shop place.

amd-fx8350

seems pretty sweet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast