Thread: Please help me to choose a class...

Default Please help me to choose a class...

First of all, English it is not my native language, so sorry for grammar mistakes.

I´m currently thinking about coming back to AoC after a long break. And I would like to ask for an advice, before deciding to renew my subscription again...

My main character was DT, almost completely t3 geared + some good stuff from Khitai. But I heard that they are the most popular choice these days and it´s hard to get a spot in raid groups. Dungeons are probably not so bad, I guess there is always tank needed.

So I was thinking about starting with fresh new lvl80. There are two options – ToS or HoX. I have played HoX a bit before and I like the play style. He´s got already some pretty good AA´s, because I have created him long time ago. But it can be hard to find a group for Khitai dungeons, where are Necro and Demo preferred. Or not?

Second option is ToS, which looks really interesting, though I have no experience with this class. In this case it would be completely fresh start, no AA´s and no gear. I guess that healers are always useful and needed, but as a fresh new 80 it will take long time to become competitive, especially for pvp... And time is unfortunately the only thing I don´t have, as a casual player with job and two small kids.

So what would you advise me to do? Thanks a lot...

You could start playing with any class frankly.

DT is very popular that's true, but you always see pugs for dungeons and raids looking for tanks, so no issue whatsoever to find something to do.

ToS is awesome for anything, although PvP is painful as low level. ToS being a squishy healer and an awesome nuker, it's target n°1 in PvP.
    At low level, you'll get focused 24/7.
    It's still cool, but requires very good movement and team support, and since minis are 100% pug you'll get very few of the second.

HoX is a rarer class to see, very good and fun though. And with the PvP gear changes, it became quite a monster in minis.
    For PvE, HoX is just like the next dps, although it can happen once in a while that for HM or unchained a pug refuses a HoX because they prefer a demo/necro, either because they have no range dps and need one, or because the group leader is a total noob. But that's very uncommon frankly.

In the end, those 3 classes are excellent in their own way, so it all goes down to what you want to start again with, tank, heal or dps only.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellaus View Post
    For PvE, HoX is just like the next dps, although it can happen once in a while that for HM or unchained a pug refuses a HoX because they prefer a demo/necro, either because they have no range dps and need one, or because the group leader is a total noob. But that's very uncommon frankly.
    It's actually pretty common to get refused as a hox; KK pug runs almost always insist on having a demo/necro on add duty for Malice and for breaking box in Yag (note that I'm not saying that demo/necro is needed for this, just that it's common for group leaders to think so). It's also a pain to get into Coppice runs as a hox, and the rare T'ian'ai pugs usually want a demo/necro, and the same seems to be true for the Dragonspine dungeons as well as Halls of Eternal Frost unchained.

On the plus side, hoxes are so rare that you're often the only hox in a raid, so it's easy to gear up, while demos/necros are popular and fight for much of the same gear. Also, hoxes are very fun since they have a somewhat more complex dps rotation than anyone but sins. Get used to never topping the parse in endgame content unless you severely outgear/outplay other dps though.