Thread: Gaming Motivations

Default Gaming Motivations

I'm wondering; going by most of the comments I see, it seems that the majority of players are here for the competition. So, I was curious how many played for the adventure, rather than a score.

For myself, I play for the adventure. I like to wander the world, facing encounters and exploring the geography. It would be cool if there were more things hidden away that one might be able to happen across, rather than getting a quest and knowing where something is just by hitting the 'M' key and pulling up a map.

i was into adventuring when the game was just after release - ofc open world pvp is for it invietable but yes i play for fun and even when i log in lowbie 2 pvp bs geared up in mix of t1 and khitai i still have tons of mentioned fun - even when i get obliterated - f yeah,

it could be about competition but this game doesnt so far offer anything else then epeen over shouting - stats and leaderboards could change it

I guess you're part of the silent majority.
    The original devs had an eye for detail and added secrets, easter eggs and unique quest rewards from chains. Sometimes you could only discover certain things, when you did others before.
    Sadly a lot of this changed, got dumbed down, got changed or deleted or just neglected in newer designs.
    In the old world you explored, found something weird and got rewarded with a hidden quest and reward (socks, chest potions, bashable walls, quest chains etc.). There were even references to your race and class in the dialogues.
    After years you can still discover new things there, while in Khitai/Turan/Dragonspine it is all a bit flat imo and at least involving grind >> exploration.
    I had hopes for some changes in this regard with steady maintenance and with the rumored achievement system.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 2nd May 2014 at 20:26.

Quote Originally Posted by ckirmser View Post
    I'm wondering; going by most of the comments I see, it seems that the majority of players are here for the competition.
    Most of the forum posters are here for the competition. We're a loud and annoying minority, old man Craig was right about that.

I'm in this (or any other game) to go to exotic and pretty locales to meet new and exotic creatures and kill them and take their stuff. Exploration is kind of nice too I guess (if it'll lead me to a hidden cool thing to kill or look at).

I couldn't have less ****s to give as to what I'm actually taking from them if I was paid money, but there's a distressingly high number of reincarnated magpies in gaming hobby who are clinically unable to understand anything beyond numbers on shiny pixels. They should stick to games that exist to solely stroke their epeens (namely Diablo) yet they don't, and now we're here.

Quote Originally Posted by cins View Post
    I'm in this (or any other game) to go to exotic and pretty locales to meet new and exotic creatures and kill them and take their stuff. Exploration is kind of nice too I guess (if it'll lead me to a hidden cool thing to kill or look at).
    Now, that's a fun game!

I couldn't have less ****s to give as to what I'm actually taking from them if I was paid money, but there's a distressingly high number of reincarnated magpies in gaming hobby who are clinically unable to understand anything beyond numbers on shiny pixels. They should stick to games that exist to solely stroke their epeens (namely Diablo) yet they don't, and now we're here.
    See, that's how it seems to me, too. It seems like more are number crunchers than role-players.

I'd like to see a lot more role-playing opportunity with the environment, but I think that's probably asking too much even from a new game, let alone one that - to go by the chatter - is pretty much on the back burner.

AoC sucks for adventuring/achivements, but at least Funcom work on it.

For the adventure all the way ! I like challenges but dislike competition. It's too narrow for my liking.

When all was to be discovered, when there was no certitudes and statistics about every thing in the game. Those were my best years on AoC ! Ah the old Rp-PvP servers... when guilds waged war against each other, and valued community ! When having a spine meant more than downing T3.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Chaman-bourru View Post
    For the adventure all the way ! I like challenges but dislike competition. It's too narrow for my liking.

When all was to be discovered, when there was no certitudes and statistics about every thing in the game. Those were my best years on AoC ! Ah the old Rp-PvP servers... when guilds waged war against each other, and valued community ! When having a spine meant more than downing T3.
    100% agree. RIP Hyperboria. Best server this game had.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaman-bourru View Post

Kudos! I heartily and enthusiastically agree.

I don't know how it works, but from what I've gathered from reading here, it seems that guild or faction rivalries are exploited in controlled specifically tasked battles. I'd like it to be where one may run into opposing players in the PvE environment and let the fur fly on the spot. Maybe where some guilds hang out in specific taverns and, like motorcycle gangs, if a rival walks in, he gets walloped. Or, a rival gang may just drop in unannounced to take the territory. But, not a planned encounter where everyone knows what's going on from the outset.

If, however, I have it wrong, then I retract all that...

depends on the day.
    sometimes its to forget all the boring noobs i need to deal with in real life.
    sometimes its just to do a fatality on a familiar foe and await his hate tell.
    other times just going around having fun killing stuff and saying yarr enjoying the combat system.
    other times i log half drunk and have no idea what im doing.
    lately tothramon sends me some funky tells saying im a supervillain .
    most of the time i seem to bump into some naughty people and we just have fun doing whatever we feel like doing.
    FORUM PVP LVL 10