Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please please please add housing

That's true, ressources are low. But as huge as housing might seems at first though, I don't think it would be THAT huge to implement. Thay have already pretty much all tools at hand.

It's basically like a miniature version of guild city. They have the zone/space to do that. They also have functional clutters, doors, architecture design and so on. I'm not saying I know ANYTHING about the subject, but if I had to guess... ...I think designing a whole new raid, with new level design, new visuals, new 3D models and textures, new PVE strat code, new story-telling arc and new loots to balance might be more resource consuming that housing. Then again, it's just a wild guess from a player that have no idea of the cost and time it would actually take.
    Last edited by Jaedelyia; 24th March 2014 at 19:27.
    -
    Fun fact : Not actually the same guy as the player named "Jaedelyia" in-game. Never though I would one day encounter a guy with the same nickname as this one.

A lot of work with new content is graphics and design. All these steps are saved with housing. THe infrastructure, the models and (i bet) even the code (for fixed placeables at least) is already in the game. It just takes someone skilled to put it together and the permission to actually do it (even on the side).

Of course this does not rule out database troubles (depending how they do it) or some deepcoded trouble linked to instancing or maximum models per instance for example. Then it could get complicated, but even in nwn1 people created housing, despite a very limited and uncooperative engine for that
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 24th March 2014 at 19:24.

I don't think it's easier than you describe, especially on the code.
    Anyway :

Player housing is expensive and though it keeps coming up, it would take a lot of time.
    I don't think it will be a good thing to dedicate so much work for a very specific thing like housing. Even if they start right now, you wouldn't see it on test live before 2016. And during that time, other projects will be slowed or cancelled, i'm not sure pvpers or pvers would want that.

Housing = force people grind more resources and force people gring more money and keep paying for house. Of course, housing can give us chests with more inventory space, but players already have enough space for items. Housing can't work without supporting craft system. They already add architect/decorations and only 1% of all comunity spend time for it.

Quote Originally Posted by lmagowz View Post
    Housing = force people grind more resources and force people gring more money and keep paying for house. Of course, housing can give us chests with more inventory space, but players already have enough space for items. Housing can't work without supporting craft system. They already add architect/decorations and only 1% of all comunity spend time for it.
    Were does this 1% data come from? As far as housing goes, I don't se any benefit it brings to the game since we already have guild cities. The only thing it may bring is increased storage, but if that is just "regular" storage like bigger bags, then it is not worth the time. I for one would not go visit someone else's house.

You said it yourself. Apart from the number, the 1% impression you have might come just from the grind they unnecessary linked to the few customizeable content they have. Someone there must like to laugh at people doing timesinks and grind for some extra things...
    This might be fun for some, but i would define it otherwise, so this is a good example of bad implementation and execution. Still even with the 1%, you can not count just architects. It was usually a guild effort by a large amount of people (getting renown, pooling mats etc.)...so i seriously doubt that number.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    @poster above: If this would be a waste and only rpers interested, why are self customization games in general successfull in a broad audience and in the long run? (sims, civilization, ultima online, certain other MMOs)
    This argument is disingenuous. By the same token, focusing on PvE is a good idea, as proven by WoW. And focusing on PvP is a good idea, since games like DOTA(2), LoL and WoT have all been really successful.

The real question is whether, in AoC's current state, resources are better spent on player housing than on PvP updates or PvE content.

In terms of resources needed to implement it, the most authoritative information we have is the reply by FC to the Your Voice questions, which Azmith quoted above. In itself, this clearly rules out that player housing would make sense for AoC in its current stage.

The other question is the benefits resulting from this use of resources. I can't be bothered to look for the old summer questionnaires - but from what I remember it was clear that crafting was not a main priority for AoC's playerbase. Sure player housing, if done right, might attract some new crafters - but to recruit a significant number of new players, FC would have to invest in marketing AoC, which they clearly are not able or willing to do at this stage.

So without the shadow of a doubt, FC's limited resources are better spent on issues other than player housing.

For the sake of completeness, here is the link to the Your Voice answers:

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...ighlight=voice
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

I spend huge amount of time to gather all architect recipes. And make few posts on old forum with full list of them. I can count how many people help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathothis View Post
    This argument is disingenuous. By the same token, focusing on PvE is a good idea, as proven by WoW. And focusing on PvP is a good idea, since games like DOTA(2), LoL and WoT have all been really successful.

The real question is whether, in AoC's current state, resources are better spent on player housing than on PvP updates or PvE content.

In terms of resources needed to implement it, the most authoritative information we have is the reply by FC to the Your Voice questions, which Azmith quoted above. In itself, this clearly rules out that player housing would make sense for AoC in its current stage.

The other question is the benefits resulting from this use of resources. I can't be bothered to look for the old summer questionnaires - but from what I remember it was clear that crafting was not a main priority for AoC's playerbase. Sure player housing, if done right, might attract some new crafters - but to recruit a significant number of new players, FC would have to invest in marketing AoC, which they clearly are not able or willing to do at this stage.

So without the shadow of a doubt, FC's limited resources are better spent on issues other than player housing.

For the sake of completeness, here is the link to the Your Voice answers:

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...ighlight=voice
    I am still not convinced. For me the other issues should be both fixes and improvements to the game system as well as new content. New content should have a high replayvalue and be still accessible or customizeable by the majority. Housing falls into the category, but not exclusive. Arenas with customizeable rules, do too. Good crafting too. Random elements in the game world add to this list as well. As do quests adapting to the person doing them and the gameworld situation. Factions to some extend count in here too. A consequence renown system as well. Just more linear pve content will not do. Not for a new game and not for an old game. Especially not, if player expectations are high AND you are low on resources.
    And yes, i consider housing as a nice to have, but not necessary. But still as with other games, what hooks and creates atmosphere are just these small little somethings.
    For the question of focus you are right. The argumention is similar and also valid. It sure is a decision funcom makes. Do they want a WoW environment at the cost of the attractive mix they have? That is why discussion and compromise options are important at this point.

Surveys are one thing. You have to be able to read them. If only 5% answer they don't do crafting, it can mean more than just one thing, depending a lot on the question asked. And i do remember the survey being not very professional leaving much ambiguity and room for interpretation.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 25th March 2014 at 19:58.

The only way for housing to work in AOC is to have it in PVP zones so I can gank you when your trying to open the door and take your key to jack your shyt.

Otherwise it's as useless as the current empty guild cities with empty buildings where all anyone does is craft and store their junk on trader.
    Pocket Ping Pong King

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast