Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Funcom CEO interview

Quote Originally Posted by Derek-Drake View Post
    Lego Universe did not understand it's target audience in the least.

Their target audience was children and yet they launched the game with a $10 a month sub fee. When that proved financially untenable, they moved the game to "F2P".

However, the F2P was more of an FU to their player base than a real F2P. It was almost vindictive the amount of limitations on a free player, and with no microtransactions to fill in the gaps.

It was simply pay or don't pay and if you don't pay, then the game sucks.

So, I'm sorry, but not a good reason to believe the Funcom LEGO MMO will fail. In fact, if they understand their player base and play their cards right, it will become their most successful MMO in their lineup.
    Gee, that f2p model sounds familiar...
    Though i think for a game aimed at kids, i would want to keep the moneysink dangers low, so a sub models sounds to me more appropiate (though a clever model where parents buy a certain limited amount of points per month might work too).
    This said, i doubt that per definition it can be a big success (why should i sub as a kid for a game with many limits, when i can have the real deal a LOT cheaper? It looks like a fun niche game again, so far best for players with the money and nostalgia).
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 15th March 2014 at 06:07.

Well, the LEGO movie that came out last month was a whopping success, stayed #1 for several weeks.
    Dagget,
    President of Ayredian Nightfall

Quote Originally Posted by Derek-Drake View Post
    Lego Universe did not understand it's target audience in the least.
    AoC fall from 2M copies sold in 1st year to position its now or TSW launch proves how Funcoms understand their audience also.
    Hayde, dead Dark Templar of Xotli
    and her long forgotten brotherhood: Berbelek Bookah Esthle Esthlos Illea Jamei Margrid Sanessa Shahai Sharila Vassone Vizu Xami

I think we judge FC too harshly. Warhammer came out around same time, it had amazing IP, already huge audience of gamers (at least bigger than Conan fanbase) and they failed miserably, the game is now closed. And that game was expected to take a large chunk out of WoW playerbase.

And City of Heroes? that was great super hero mmo and they still got folded.

Say what you will but at very least Funcom keeps their crappy games afloat
    Retired

We do. Funcom just not over-invest and is not so impatient like EA (company that colse their muliplayer servers for 1.5yo games from series that sell in tens millions of copies) so they don't have need to plug servers off. But hey even most fanatic players gets bored playing over and over 3-6 year old content.
    Last edited by bogus; 15th March 2014 at 18:55.
    Hayde, dead Dark Templar of Xotli
    and her long forgotten brotherhood: Berbelek Bookah Esthle Esthlos Illea Jamei Margrid Sanessa Shahai Sharila Vassone Vizu Xami

Quote Originally Posted by burmese View Post
    Well, the LEGO movie that came out last month was a whopping success, stayed #1 for several weeks.
    theres another lego mmo out already

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    I think we judge FC too harshly. Warhammer came out around same time, it had amazing IP, already huge audience of gamers (at least bigger than Conan fanbase) and they failed miserably, the game is now closed. And that game was expected to take a large chunk out of WoW playerbase.

And City of Heroes? that was great super hero mmo and they still got folded.

Say what you will but at very least Funcom keeps their crappy games afloat
    bad idea to be content with merely 'keeping afloat' AoC has potential, and us players hope FC focuses its resources at the right place

AOC lost it potential many years ago.Be happy for what the game is and stop getting disappointed by thinking funcom is going to do something with this game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12