Thread: Just made ranger and huh?

Default Just made ranger and huh?

Just started playing game after a false start. Had a bit of fun with barbarian so tried ranger and I'm a tad bit confused. Tried NPH channel but got a lot of grief.

How do you make your bow effective? What are upper and lower effects? Do you press a direction then buff or the other way around. Is there a timing issue when pressing the buttons?

I guess - is there a beginners how-to-play-ranger guide?

Thanks.

Hey,

I don't think there's any ranger guide here. But here's how it works.
    You have combos and white its.

Combos are stuff like; penatrating shot, line breaker. Basicly all those that trigger your cast bare.

White hits are the arrows: High left, middle, right and lower left and lower right (these two you get only at level 40)

When you hit a target with a white hit you stack either lower or higher attack bonus for a few seconds (look at your buff line: you can only see it if you've hit a target). While that effect is active if you use a combos, this combo will be buffed. If you stack both lower and higher attack before triggering the combo, you get two buffs. If you stack only one of the two you'll get only one buff for your combo.

So for example with penatrating shot.
    If you use Higher attack then combo = Pen shot CD is reduced to 8seconds
    If you use Lower attack then combo = Pen shot gets a dps buffs
    If you use lower and higher attack then combo = Pen shot gets dps buff and shorter CD.
    If you don't use either attacks before combo = Pen shot doesn't get a CD reduction nor dps boost but you can still shoot.

And every combo you have works a like that. With diffrent buffs depending on the combo you use.

Hope i was clear enough
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

you can also find some hints and builds in this thread: link
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

You don't get lower attack until level 40 which could have made you confused even more...
    Water is my bubble
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Religolibri (10) Ranger, trying something else
    Amtihotep (10) Hox, Using copy paste poss/gen feat

One thing you do get right from the start is Mezz shot, though it doesn't show anywhere as an ability or skill so a lot of new rangers don't know about it. To mezz shot a mob, simply go into hide and do a white hit... it will mezz the target so it won't come after you right away. Now you have a choice of finishing your combo on it, or selecting a second target and killing it before the first one comes back to life. Makes a life a lot easier for solo rangers.

Just a question for clarification. The archery combos have the little silver "notches" that, in melee, signify on what side the blow falls to help avoid shields. For example, if Bleeding Puncture IV were melee I'd be using the Upper (or Lower)Left and if Pin Down IV the Upper(or Lower) Right. Does it matter which upper (or lower) I use to "prime" the archery combo or do I need to pick the upper (or lower) "buff shot" to bypass shields?

In other words; do I need all five upper/lower attack buttons or just two?

Quote Originally Posted by maven369 View Post
    Just a question for clarification. The archery combos have the little silver "notches" that, in melee, signify on what side the blow falls to help avoid shields. For example, if Bleeding Puncture IV were melee I'd be using the Upper (or Lower)Left and if Pin Down IV the Upper(or Lower) Right. Does it matter which upper (or lower) I use to "prime" the archery combo or do I need to pick the upper (or lower) "buff shot" to bypass shields?

Having re-read my post I realized it might sound like I don't know how to play melee. I realize the notches signify the attack needed to successfully complete the combo. However, my question stands as to if the silver notches mean anything for the ranged combos.

only 2

lower left+upper right or lower right+upper left

and its highly ineficient anyways in soloplay shields will always stack above.

ranger doesnt realy have combos anyway.
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

Having re-read my post I realized it might sound like I don't know how to play melee. I realize the notches signify the attack needed to successfully complete the combo. However, my question stands as to if the silver notches mean anything for the ranged combos.
    Same thing as for melee, i.e., to avoid shield side. Although spells ignore shields so perhaps Taking the Shot (TTS - is an AA) does as well.
    Stygian...the best!