Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R9 270x not reaching full potential.

Default R9 270x not reaching full potential.

Just got myself a new computer, has an AMD R9 270x in it, doesn't reach max operating temperature, or maximum usage. Usually stays around 60*C when operating temp is 65 at 1080p
    and GPU usage never goes over 45% but still I only get 20-30 fps in pin-pin.

Anyone else have this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by gcustoms View Post
    Just got myself a new computer, has an AMD R9 270x in it, doesn't reach max operating temperature, or maximum usage. Usually stays around 60*C when operating temp is 65 at 1080p
    and GPU usage never goes over 45% but still I only get 20-30 fps in pin-pin.

Anyone else have this issue?
    well, I´ve bought a GTX 770 (for GTX 275) recently and yea, the FPS increase isn´t that impressive, but I guess my CPU (old i5) is the bottleneck here, so this might be your case as well
    Last edited by Argantes; 4th March 2014 at 14:56.
    aka Morte.. Morce.. Morte.. Morce again.. bah, whatever..

CPU bottleneck.

If you want more fps in aoc upgrade or overclock your CPU, not your GPU (unless it's some really old GPU, then you may gain from upgrading it). Even just increasing your CPU clock by a few hundred MHz will give you tons more fps.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Not likely, currently running an AMD FX-6300 currently clocking at 3.5GhZ, and it's water cooled. Also not anywhere close to it's max usage or temperature.

If you cpu has more than 1-2 cores, you aren't likely to ever see max cpu usage. This game hasn't been multi-threaded very well so most cores of your cpu aren't even used.

I think it has something to do with the cages that still remain unfixed. If I get away from them I get my usual 40-60 fps

What tapwater said. And aoc loves raw single threaded CPU speed, 3,5ghz ain't much. 30 fps in Pin Pin is exactly what I'd expect in Khitai with that kind of CPU running at such speed. Based on personal experience.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...-6300+Six-Core

It's not "up there" with the best Intels. I noticed a triple increase of FPS with my new i7 4770K @4Ghz over my old Intel C2D E8400 @4,5Ghz.

AoC is allmost single threated application (is bottlenecked by single thread performance) and AMDs are known for "less than stellar" single thread performance.
    What you need to do is overclock your CPU as high as possible, even consider turning 1 module off if you encounter heat problems (or dissable one core in each module so you have 3 independent cores). HWbot sais avarage overclock of your is 4,8GHz so it is safe to asume you can get at/over 4,5GHz meaning roughly 30% increase. I think this would get you at least 20% more FPS in crowdy situations (cities, raids).
    I overclocked both of my CPUs: previous Phenom (3,2->4) and i5 (3,3->4,7) and it resulted in really noticable improvment in FPS.

Do some reading before you start thou...

PS: one more thing that might be worth to check before you get into overclocking: I would try to manually asign AoC client to TWO cores in windows with odd or even numbers (e.g. 3&5 or 2&4 or 1&3) this might help if for some reason windows automatic cheduler tries to run AoC on cores from same module which is not optimal.

Alright well if that's what I should be getting, then I guess there's no problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast