Thread: New Player Questions

Default New Player Questions

I have a HoX question. i am really new to the game and am playing a HoX. My question is do you continue to use Slam and Sweep throughout the game or do you stop after a certain point. At level 15 Slam already feels super weak and not worth using. Do it get better?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Projectstfu View Post
    I have a HoX question. i am really new to the game and am playing a HoX. My question is do you continue to use Slam and Sweep throughout the game or do you stop after a certain point. At level 15 Slam already feels super weak and not worth using. Do it get better?

Thanks
    No. You stop using them after a certain point. (Usually already around level 10 or so.) The other combos you get are much better.

This is also true for the other non-class specific combos that Soldiers and Rogues get - you stop using them eventually because your class-specific combos are better.

Just remove them from your skill bars to make room for more useful stuff.

As HoX, your actual class combos are Burn to death (applies a strong dot, super important for PvE), pilar of infernal flame (big aoe hit, you can use severla ranks of it), and hell strikes ("base" combo but less interesting than the 2 other ones listed, it's more like filler bwteen BtD and pilars).

After that, you'll also get specific combo debuffing your target, another one to burn its mana.

Note that as HoX, your gameplay often evolves around morphing (desecrating essence) and casting hellfire breath between combos.

Always prioritize Pillar of Infernal Flame, it's your best combo for running around. No actually always prioritize Hellfire Breath, that's your biggest source of damage, spam it always and forever even if you're between combo steps. Hellstrike series is the basic combos that you can do ad infinitum but it's low damage, so only use the highest rank of it if every other useful combo (means all ranks of Pillar) is on cooldown.

Firelance and I Eat Your Heart are feated combos with long cooldowns in Avatar tree, if you get them use them whenever they're off cooldown just like Pillars.

Burn to Death might do more damage in the long run but there's no such thing as long run for the hox. Every random scrub enemy you face will die in a few seconds and Burn to Death is slow so not worth using unless you're fighting an ultratough enemy (aka something that can survive against you for more than 5 seconds). Molten Steel is similarly not worth the bother unless you're fighting very powerful enemies. Manadrain combo is so crap I don't even remember its name.

Also protip: Whenever you stun or root an enemy, circle behind its back.