Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [About to quit] Alright Funcom lets talk Europeans and Ping!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwahlr View Post
    Any solution to fix the ping or was that it?
    yes, two options.

one, move to united states east coast.
    or
    two, move the north america and europe continents closer to each other.

This helped for a few of my guildies:

http://www.wtfast.com/

Their latency and lagspikes decreased a lot and gameplay got a lot smoother. It's free to try one month so it can't hurt to give it a shot.

I play from the netherlands btw and on a good day my latency can be <100. I honestly don't feel much of a difference with before the servermove.

• Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddam View Post
    I am not sure this is even possible, but many years ago I had a friend that was a contractor in the Middle East. His latency for US based games was terrible, so he and a few others invested in a VPN (Virtual Private Network) or Tunnel. Using the tunnel made games playable but had issues of it's own:

1) Cost - was expensive
    2) Configuration - Not real easy to get everything needed opened up.
    3) Could not host games, we could not "see" him even though he could see us.

What it did for him was it eliminated a lot of "bad" hops across the "backbone" and decreased his ping by about 50%.

Like I said, I am not sure this is possible any more or if it would work/help, but it may be worth looking in to.

As a side note: Once he had the VPN configured and working, he was able to get several other people on it and share the cost.
    By doing that they made sure that their latency was as low as it could be given the laws of physics (I mean, they avoided the potential routing/peering issues that they could have had with their ISP, and many people do suffer from latency issues because of that so it's not a bad investment), but we're still talking about 180-200ms for Middle East players on US servers (depends on their exact location). *
    We do have such players on Fury, and some of them are doing great, which doesn't mean that they don't notice the latency or don't find it constantly annoying (they do).

I have played melee with about 200ms, but this is really playing a different game compared to the 100-150ms range let alone the <100ms range...

*if you want to invest in a leased line to FC servers be my guest but even then, don't fool yourselves, latency will only be marginally lower than with a good regular connection.
    Last edited by kalston; 12th February 2014 at 10:10.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

The main problems (physical distance, engine handling of synchronizing, third parties involved) will still be there.

As posters above said, you as client can only do so much (like good tech, provider, location)...
    They made the "business" decision to move to US and if they want to lessen the problems, they would have to change some mechanics, hardware or the engine handling as well to deal better with huge latency differences. (here they said to be optimizing the engine at least...if and how they do it, is hard to judge as client, since you can't compare server load in 2009 and 2014. Personally i have the impression the old engine handled it better, but this can be nostalgia).

And although fps and latency are two different shoes, they are still connected and affect each other, depending on the engine and game mechanics.
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 12th February 2014 at 11:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Derled View Post
    i think there are bit more eu / ru guys who are hindered from this than aussies.... GOD DAMN , always with the aussies..
    Aussies and Kiwi's.

There you go.

Is there really that much difference between 50 ping and 200 ping?

Worlds apart. I'm serious.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicuniverse View Post
    Is there really that much difference between 50 ping and 200 ping?
    depends..
    in PvE, not.
    in PvP with caster, not that much.
    in PvP with melee, a hell of a lot.

especially if you play as EU player vs. another EU player, when it´s basically his 200ms (to US server) added to your 200ms (from US server).. oh joy
    Last edited by Argantes; 12th February 2014 at 15:00.
    aka Morte.. Morce.. Morte.. Morce again.. bah, whatever..

Quote Originally Posted by Argantes View Post
    depends..
    in PvE, not.
    in PvP with caster, not that much.
    in PvP with melee, a hell of a lot.

especially if you play as EU player vs. another EU player, when it´s basically his 200ms (to US server) added to your 200ms (from US server).. oh joy
    If you play with such ping for years, you can do fine, but when you suddenly go down from 50ms to 200ms... that's hard blow to your reflexes & KD.

It's sad when you see teleporting people in mini-game, and other members keep saying what they move with normal speed

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast