Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EVE-Online breaks another record

Played eve back at launch through 2004 when eq2 came out. Even think the manual that came with the game is worth something like $400 now. But what makes it unique today is that the population is rather small for a online game with around 300k players, but all the players are hardcore and love the game. it makes for a great community and gameplay. CCP is also the best gaming company on the planet and its not really debatable.

age of conan has less than 20,000 active players and a completely watered down shell of itself since launch. game is so dumbed down and terrible in its current form compared to pre 1.04 its insane. people that say AoC is better than any other game are just lieing to themselves or never played AoC when the game actually took skill.
    Raistbad/Backwoods/Dutchmaster/Rangerishard
    30,0000+ kills, 10,000+ mini, still bad
    Pre 1.04|Twitch|Post 1.04

Quote Originally Posted by raist718 View Post
    people that say AoC is better than any other game are just lieing to themselves or never played AoC when the game actually took skill.
    you're both right though.

pre 1.04, it was by far better than any other game at the time

now, it is still one of the best MMORPGs to play (on subscription, the F2P model needs some work)
    Drunkskunk (Sin) - Petridish (ToS) - Gwarnath (BS) - Tomatohawk (DT)

Quote Originally Posted by Petridish View Post
    you're both right though.

pre 1.04, it was by far better than any other game at the time

now, it is still one of the best MMORPGs to play (on subscription, the F2P model needs some work)
    true, if you were a mmo player there was a feeling of progression from one generation of game to the next. from ultima online to swg to wow/eq2 to aoc to aion. and there are many other games during that time also. but since the introduction of aoc combo system, games have gone backwards with innovation and skill. there has not been anything combat wise in the last 5 years close, except maybe neverwinter for pvp.

Someone made this point to me. If you want to play an in-depth space combat mmo EVE is pretty much the only option.

Maybe one day we'll see a game that combines AoC, TSW, EVE, SW:ToR and the best from the rest into a massive universe with face to face combat, spaceship dogfighting, time travel, conspiracies, alliances and backstabbing, dozens of races with dozens of starting planets, planetary takeovers and contested space all within a universe so vast no one could ever explore it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeil View Post
    Someone made this point to me. If you want to play an in-depth space combat mmo EVE is pretty much the only option.

Maybe one day we'll see a game that combines AoC, TSW, EVE, SW:ToR and the best from the rest into a massive universe with face to face combat, spaceship dogfighting, time travel, conspiracies, alliances and backstabbing, dozens of races with dozens of starting planets, planetary takeovers and contested space all within a universe so vast no one could ever explore it all.
    well, there's this

http://evevalkyrie.com/

and then there's this

http://dust514.com/

Dust 514 is pretty awesome actually. I love how they cross genre between Eve and Dust. I mean, come on, if you know people in Eve, you can order planetary strikes? From their Eve ships? While they circle the planet?! Pretty neat concept. It's the only reason I still use my ps3 honestly :P.

As a stand alone FPS, it's pretty solid as well. Sure, no single player, but who needs that crap?

It was too bad dust 514 was a huge failure and almost cost CCP development of WoD. that they did not move resources from EvE to keep it 514 afloat is why they are considered the best gaming company in world by many nerds. they knew it sucked and let it be, threw a roadmap down for the future and kept EvE moving along. dust 514 made no revenue at all. but the game only cost around 15 million to make. CCP also makes their books public, while Dust 514 made no money EvE made 35 million last year.

Secret Worlds failure doomed and already dead AoC

And would like to add that SWG jump to light speed was and is still the pinnacle of space mmo gameplay http://youtu.be/zEr9dg5j2Lo
    Last edited by raist718; 4th February 2014 at 23:46.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by raist718 View Post
    It was too bad dust 514 was a huge failure and almost cost CCP development of WoD. that they did not move resources from EvE to keep it 514 afloat is why they are considered the best gaming company in world by many nerds. they knew it sucked and let it be, threw a roadmap down for the future and kept EvE moving along. dust 514 made no revenue at all. but the game only cost around 15 million to make. CCP also makes their books public, while Dust 514 made no money EvE made 35 million last year.

Secret Worlds failure doomed and already dead AoC

And would like to add that SWG jump to light speed was and is still the pinnacle of space mmo gameplay http://youtu.be/zEr9dg5j2Lo
    Mmmmmm SWG Pre-NGE <3 Awesome game until they ruined it.

Agreed, Dust was just poorly executed tbh. Eve's books are fanastic though and they are talking about a TV show as well. CCP is a god among gaming companies I tell ya
    Last edited by Usedtissue; 7th February 2014 at 03:10.
    Usedtissue Necro 10//Emptycan ToS 7//Puggles HoX 6//Ammagaden Guard 5//Trollololo Conq 5//Bottlecap DT 2

PM me to sign the Minigame buddy sign-up petition: (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...40#post2135540)

In a recent Reddit post John Smedley says they are working on a new mmo that's a completely new ip but will appeal to original SWG fans. Said "You can come home." or something like that.

I'll believe it when I see it but... something to keep an eye out for.

Edit to add a link:

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/25/soes...-says-smedley/
    Last edited by Raeil; 7th February 2014 at 15:41.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123