Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tanking: Fearless or courageous?

Quote Originally Posted by Barrefaeli View Post
    i think that by looking at the stats, waning boundary still wins, with it's 70 constitution,40 crit and the whooping ~450 protection (and the best looks out of all those shields )
    Hmm, it's specific prot though, so it's either holy or unholy. I'll have to agree though, it's still 290 either way. I'd just not spend the gold on it, can get high enough prot without it..

Many of you are looking at it wrong with hate.

Hate is not a straight buff just based on the %. FC devs have said on TL that the hate multiplier is more like 2 to 3 times the actual hate %. So effective hate on 1.2% would be somewhere ~2.5% and 3.5%.

I have both sets minus one piece, and see very little agro difference between the major pieces, on most mobs.

The reason every guard should make fearless his 1st set is that, in spite of the fact that you can survive the emperor in t3 gear, it's easier to do in fearless. My thought was that if there's ever a T4.5 or T5, it would be likely there'd be a tough magic boss you'd want it for, and tanking a magic boss is what guard is best at.

With the extra dps, prot, and similar agro, fearless is a no brainer.

I'm not sure anyone actually still knows how guards aggro actually works. I've seen 3 explanations from GMs, all 3 were different from eachother. The guy who designed it, has been gone for years I suppose.
    Last edited by Blackfir; 16th January 2014 at 12:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Redd View Post
    CS set is pretty weak.

FS big pieces combined with CS small pieces is the way to go.

Hit rating with t4 gear was never a problem and using accessories with no hit rating makes no sense either, unless you use fail ring like T3 coils of boa.

Armor difference in between FS and CS big pieces is non existent, beside the minor difference in armor numbers on paper but since you're hitting the top mitigation and it has diminishing return that number does't make any big improvement cause in provoke tactic your armor is 59% with both FS and CS, but what you loose by using CS is all crit rating and a lot of crit damage rating.

About the hate increase difference, the numbers go like this:

with CS set 20.5%, with FS big pieces 19.6%, but the trade off for not even 1% hate is all the crits and crit damage again.

And if anyone things that crit rating and crit damage and damage does't benefit guards they are totally delusional.

The way I see CS set is, for some extreme situations when you have to slightly boost your HP, but for 99% of the fights in game both dungeons and raids you dont need CS big pieces what so ever.
    A guard has a passive 40% crit chance, with an additional 5% on power house, How exactly is an extra 5% and sacrificing con,hate,hit, etc. Worth it?

As I agree crit and crit damage are nice, they aren't needed as much as people "like you" are implying. On numerous occasions I have taken a guard with no AA's, and just T1 gear and smoked the living day lights out of a guard using T4 gear. Yes, the other guard had to be a baddie for this to happen, but rest assured the crit and crit bonus damage were WAY higher than that of mine.

Based on what your saying, crit chance and crit bonus are just the magic button when it comes to guards. It's not! It's more about combo rotations, hate modification, and being able to actually hit your target.
    Guards: Schou/Schoujr, DT: Mycroch, Conq: Kenfast, Barb: Sonofcronus, Sin's: Crazyassin/Daggerdick, Hox: Scorchnburn, Demo: Touchofdeath, Tos: Enslaveu, BS: Meballs

With passive you mean guard destroyer I suppose?

Quote Originally Posted by kennyfisterbotm View Post
    A guard has a passive 40% crit chance, with an additional 5% on power house, How exactly is an extra 5% and sacrificing con,hate,hit, etc. Worth it?

As I agree crit and crit damage are nice, they aren't needed as much as people "like you" are implying. On numerous occasions I have taken a guard with no AA's, and just T1 gear and smoked the living day lights out of a guard using T4 gear. Yes, the other guard had to be a baddie for this to happen, but rest assured the crit and crit bonus damage were WAY higher than that of mine.

Based on what your saying, crit chance and crit bonus are just the magic button when it comes to guards. It's not! It's more about combo rotations, hate modification, and being able to actually hit your target.
    You saying that you have beaten someone at the time you didnt have any AA's doesnt add anything to this discussion sadly.

Ofcourse the aggro is mostly based on rotation, but I promise you, pretty much all good guards have the same rotation with diffrent good timing and use of the buffs and abillities.

In my own experience I feel safe in the aggro as long as I crit. Having increased critchance DURING the time Guarddestroyerbuff is down, makes the "crit-dip" alot lower. If you want, we can meet up and do tests, Same rotation but with diffrent critvalues.
    Last edited by magnum92; 16th January 2014 at 14:48.
    Moriala - The Ivory Tower

[Youtube Channel]

Im always down to test man. How I learn and get better. Let me know in game. Im off at 3pm central. Hit me up.

Also. I rolled a f2p guard to do the testing and prove gear isnt as big a deal as some want to argue. But thats mainly an argument over baddies who say the gear is why I do well.

But yes hit me up. Later man.
    Last edited by kennyfisterbotm; 16th January 2014 at 16:10.
    Guards: Schou/Schoujr, DT: Mycroch, Conq: Kenfast, Barb: Sonofcronus, Sin's: Crazyassin/Daggerdick, Hox: Scorchnburn, Demo: Touchofdeath, Tos: Enslaveu, BS: Meballs

Im always down to test man. How I learn and get better. Let me know in game. Im off at 3pm central. Hit me up.

Also. I rolled a f2p guard to do the testing and prove gear isnt as big a deal as some want to argue. But thats mainly an argument over baddies who say the gear is why I do well.

But yes hit me up. Later man.
    I agree gear isnt everything in general in this game. Guards obviously have the highest base-aggro-output cause of buffs and combos. But when you start tanking lowmitigation-bosses with dts in full Intomitable gear with shitloads of wisdom accessories, you're gonna feel those crits help u out alot.
    Last edited by magnum92; 16th January 2014 at 16:26.
    Moriala - The Ivory Tower

[Youtube Channel]

Sacrificing 1% hate increase, 28 more armor and 0.5% hit rating from CS big pieces is totally worthy. About constitution in most of the fights you really wont benefit from 1k more HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Redd View Post
    Sacrificing 1% hate increase, 28 more armor and 0.5% hit rating from CS big pieces is totally worthy. About constitution in most of the fights you really wont benefit from 1k more HP.
    I personally think that hate mod is as important as crit is that to a DT.

Your throwing the 1% hate mod off as some sort of sham, when in fact I believe that it makes all the difference in the world.

As far as 1k hit points. I don't see how 1k of hit points isn't worth a lot to you? 1k is 1k, and is a strait forward health jump. It allows you to take about 5% more damage as a tank basing the 1k/19k hp "ish" range. You spread 5% across say 3-4 tanks via a raid and all of a sudden things are 15-20% easier to survive/succeed at.

As for me on crit etc. I'm not saying that crit doesn't have it's place amongst the guardian class. It is a great thing to have etc. BUT, it's not as important as giving up health, or hate mod for.

I also want to touch up on Natural Health Regen. I personally think it's bugged in the description, and not giving an accurate depiction of what it really does. I have lifesaver feated out amongst one of my many builds for my guard. And when I do have it feated out, I see a drastic change in my survive ability within a raid. I think there is a reason funcom would have put 2.5 nat health regen within the armor, if it wasn't worth having why would they put it in the T4 armor to begin with? Not saying Funcom doesnt make mistakes. On the contrary, Im' saying their description of Nat Health Regen is broken. I'm simply saying that I see a performance increase with it. Thus, T4 CS gear is better for a guard "imo".

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast