Thread: Is it just me... or do Epic NPCs seem way overpowered?

Default Is it just me... or do Epic NPCs seem way overpowered?

When three or four or five or six in a group cannot defeat an epic NPC of the same level, isn't that a bit excessive?

In order to take down an Epic Ymirish in Conal Valley, I've always had to have a couple of level 50s or 60s with me at least, or it's simply not possible... does anyone else have this experience or am I simply missing a trick to defeating Epic guys?

I feel like such a whiner with all the complaints I'm posting, so please, don't get me wrong, of all the MMOs I've played, AoC is the one I have loved the best.

It's just that bit mate ... the epic mobs at the end of that zone are a higher level than they probably should be ... never understood why Funcom had them there (maybe for quest content that never got finished).

Usually, a group of 4-6 is sufficient to kill an epic mob of the same level as you are (and sometimes around 2-4 depending on class and gear level, along with the capability to kite).
    Drunkskunk (Sin) - Petridish (ToS) - Gwarnath (BS) - Tomatohawk (DT)

No, they are not overly powerful.
    To my experience, Connal Valley's bosses are balanced and engaging. For the first bosses, only three people are enough; for the last bosses, as soon as you pick up the quest, you ought to get at least five more people (2 tanks, 1 healer, 3 DPS) or a raid (I often choose raids) with members of the same level, give or take three levels. You do not need 50s or 60s there, and the level of the end monsters is all right.

The ruse with fewer members is to pull monsters correctly, watching your environment not to get more of them, and resetting some of the monsters by running away to a safe spot (this trick works for the entire game, and people have to learn it early not to fail in high-level groups).
    Last edited by LunaticAsylumLA; 14th January 2014 at 05:52.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

The trick you're missing is called the "holy trinity" of MMORPGs. You send the tough guy in first to keep enemy busy by getting his face punched in and the supportive guy afterwards to make sure he doesn't fall quickly, while soft (but heavy handed) guy do the actual killing of the enemy.

Cin, been there, done that. Haven't seen any difference. A classic group of Tank, DPS, Healer and Mage should, IMHO, be able to do the job on an Epic of equal level... in the case of the Ymirish in Conal Valley, they just seem extremely overpowered... and their level should reflect that, IMHO. If they're going to be able to one shot characters ten levels above them, their level should reflect that.

Stun, kb, root, slow and fear. Most epic mobs of same level can be soloed give time and kiting. Oneshotting characters ten levels higher, thats not a tank.

Epic mode used to be easier, before items and stats were re-done in 1.5 ("RPG Systems Revamp"). As it stands now, they are not properly balanced throughout the levels. Dungeons used to suffer from this too, but they have since been toned down.

Are mobs still 'boosted' if there are members in the group that are above their level threshold, or is that a thing of the past? I can't remember...
    Operator irc.funcom.com:6667 #ageofconan #thesecretworld
    We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the world asunder
    Dysphoria - Murky Templar - Icoyce - Herald of the Black Kraken - Eriphyle - Shebearman

Connal Valleys YMIR CAMP is one of the last GROUP bastions on open map I think, many has been already nerfed into normal mobs (Field of the Dead, HoC entrance), Eigo Mountains (white hand near the legendary not-implemented Turuga temple, anyone got the key :P

I don't know why funcom made those moves, but Connal valleys is doable with standard trinity group (tank/heal/dps) on the same Lv, You just need to learn the basics behaviour on epic mobs, like single pull,knockbacks/stuns/slows>kite. (of course if you try it with green items from tortage so don't be suprised you are being one-shotted though) That's was the point of those group locations to prepare players for harder dungeons and make them use the brains and your character skills... but maybe I am an old hardcore gamer who likes challenges and as we know today games are all tuned down to maximum simplicity ...
    The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men.
    ---
    Zarathustra - Dark Templar
    Utawarerumono - Bear Shaman
    Caim - Herald of Xotli
    Silmeria - Assassin
    Nekoruru - Conqueror
    Manah - Priest of Mitra
    Samanosuke - Guardian
    Isztaria - Demonologist
    Lenethia - Ranger

I solo'd the chicken farmer on my ranger kiting him. I think I was a couple levels above him. It was not easy though.