Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tanking with dps instead of hate

Well, I value dps over hate on my guard and it works fine in t4 - I was still maintanking with tiger chest/dps cloak/dps hands & S&S not long ago (55% mit without defensive maneuver). Also been using yag blue crit shield for a long while now (why won't my DT shield drop!)

I do use fearless chest/legs instead of indomi because of the protection and the fact that combat rating is a useless stat that doesn't scale with anything. I am totally going for indomi head and hands (& fearless hands for pvp or prot fights) to reach 20% crit chance without pots. I also use the t4 dps sword (the one with 128 base dps, whatever the name is) and wouldn't ever consider using anything else.

As for poletanking I do the same but right now I do more dps with s&s tanking (700-800 with a good raid) because I only have t3 (not crafted) pole.

At the end of the day just go for the most crits possible if you wanna do some dps with your guard (indomi only has noticeably more than fearless on a few parts).

I see no value in the t4 hate set unless you only do S&S tanking and want to mitigate more physical damage than everyone else (and it's still a minor difference).
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    Well, I value dps over hate on my guard and it works fine in t4 - I was still maintanking with tiger chest/dps cloak/dps hands & S&S not long ago (55% mit without defensive maneuver). Also been using yag blue crit shield for a long while now (why won't my DT shield drop!)

I do use fearless chest/legs instead of indomi because of the protection and the fact that combat rating is a useless stat that doesn't scale with anything. I am totally going for indomi head and hands (& fearless hands for pvp or prot fights) to reach 20% crit chance without pots. I also use the t4 dps sword (the one with 128 base dps, whatever the name is) and wouldn't ever consider using anything else.

As for poletanking I do the same but right now I do more dps with s&s tanking (700-800 with a good raid) because I only have t3 (not crafted) pole.

At the end of the day just go for the most crits possible if you wanna do some dps with your guard (indomi only has noticeably more than fearless on a few parts).

I see no value in the t4 hate set unless you only do S&S tanking and want to mitigate more physical damage than everyone else (and it's still a minor difference).
    I agree, If I get the chance Im gunna go for the Heavy T4 dps set and either go polearm or S&B once I find out which one works best for me agro wise. In most fights guard takes very little damage with 61% midigation and I feel its overkill defense wise. Also T3 protection set is still good for most T4 protection fights where trading agro with a DT is simple because they have full protection set aswell dramaticaly lowering their dps so T4 protection set seems like a waste to me.

Fearless main pieces are a no brainer for every tank class as a 1st T4 set. It's easier to tank the emperor in Fearless, but in reality, the 1st time everyone did it they were in T3 anyways. The protection on Fearless can be useful if there's ever any future content that has hard hitting magic bosses that crit, while not sacrificing much in any area.

Guard set would basically give you 1% more hate and 1000 health, and isn't worth much for magic fights. But if you think future content is a fairy tale, then it probably won't matter to you, since you can get by in T3 gear in T4.

Indomitable is next to worthless for a guard, except for belt and feet, and maybe hands. You can never keep up with DTs or conqs (or almost any other well played toon) in dps, so you're basically spending dragon tears for a novelty if you buy indomitable.

Hey, Schou, if you're only doing 1100 in Tiger's gear on a strawman, you're doing it wrong sir. I used to be over 1400 on a strawman just by switching to frenzy with my tanking spec, full BD and T3 accessories. The only T4 piece Fate had was the polearm and I never tested on a strawman after getting it. I really had no reason to when my DT was better in every way except aggro on protection fights/high damage resist bosses.

over 1400 dps on a guard in black dragon armor - DREAM ON.

I don't see how you got 1400 man. Ive been going at it all day today in tigers gear. And my parses have been these as follows.

All the same build, just depended on the crits and my luck etc.

As far as my stats are concerned

502.6 base dps
    21.2 crit chance
    37.6 crit bonus "with pet"
    24.5% hit bonus chance

For you to get 1400 dps in tank spec, and gear, by merely swapping to frenzy. I have to ask the following questions.

1. Were you grouped up with anyone at all?
    2. Was someone else debuffing the dummy?
    3. Was it in guild city with the posability of hititng more than 1 dummy?
    4. Was it a dummy that was summoned "by yourself" in a city hub?

I'm not saying your not hitting 1400, I'm just curious as to how you are getting such a drastic increase on dps when compared to myself. I'm not missing anything as far as combos are concerned, And even if I was, it wouldn't constitute such a huge dps gap.
    Guards: Schou/Schoujr, DT: Mycroch, Conq: Kenfast, Barb: Sonofcronus, Sin's: Crazyassin/Daggerdick, Hox: Scorchnburn, Demo: Touchofdeath, Tos: Enslaveu, BS: Meballs

http://i.imgur.com/X93v840.jpg?1

That was on two summoned, single strawmen. In BD gear at the time and T3 pole/accessories and potions. My ConanStats would never parse about the first minute or so solo, was a five minute run (or however long two of them lasted) since I only had me and a buddy to summon them at the time.

The difference probably doesn't lie in your not understanding the class, Schou. It lies in my having played Tempest almost exclusively, with a broken Guard when hate was ****ed. I spent a great deal of time making it my playstyle and making it work.

In case you're curious why I have an old screenshot for this occasion, it was from a discussion I had with Cynara? (I think was his/her name) on the TL forums. They had claimed 1600 was possible with the crafted polearm, raid build. I believe it. I'd wager the T4 polearm would get you farther though, with Vengeance working off the strength vs combat rating slotted gems from the T3 crafted. I never tested it before I quit playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Midge50 View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/X93v840.jpg?1

That was on two summoned, single strawmen. In BD gear at the time and T3 pole/accessories and potions. My ConanStats would never parse about the first minute or so solo, was a five minute run (or however long two of them lasted) since I only had me and a buddy to summon them at the time.

The difference probably doesn't lie in your not understanding the class, Schou. It lies in my having played Tempest almost exclusively, with a broken Guard when hate was ****ed. I spent a great deal of time making it my playstyle and making it work.

In case you're curious why I have an old screenshot for this occasion, it was from a discussion I had with Cynara? (I think was his/her name) on the TL forums. They had claimed 1600 was possible with the crafted polearm, raid build. I believe it. I'd wager the T4 polearm would get you farther though, with Vengeance working off the strength vs combat rating slotted gems from the T3 crafted. I never tested it before I quit playing.
    I'm not parseing 2 straw dummy's at a time man.

I'm summoning 1 single dummy at a time, and that's what I'm referring too. What can you do against 1 single dummy? Also, how are you in combat for 3:38? A single straw dummy can only last for 3 min. You had to have had a couple dummy's going off at the same time being cast about 30 seconds later into the fight.

Also, were you grouped? you are showing only the screen that shows just you, not the entire group etc.
    Last edited by kennyfisterbotm; 21st January 2014 at 03:33.
    Guards: Schou/Schoujr, DT: Mycroch, Conq: Kenfast, Barb: Sonofcronus, Sin's: Crazyassin/Daggerdick, Hox: Scorchnburn, Demo: Touchofdeath, Tos: Enslaveu, BS: Meballs

Unless stated otherwise, single target is what people usually refer to when they talk about parser, therefore guild dummies don't count.

Those were SUMMONED straw men, one at a time. As in one after the other when one expires. As in a five minute parse on one straw man summoned by me, then another summoned by a friend when it expired at roughly two minutes, thirty seconds. Please read more carefully, I realize that English is not everyone's first language here.

As I stated in my first post, I was unbuffed except for what I could provide for myself, store bought potions and NO kappa pet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast